Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding the question 'have we continued to peel 5m back off the mark?', I can confirm that in simulation yesterday, we have scrapped this and are standing the mark from the spot as to not give up any ground. I hope this continues, as I believe last year's approach to be flawed.
We may have a chance this year if common sense has returned to the coaching box. Great news!1

I went to training yesterday. I was one of three supporters, despite it being in the heart of Braybrook.
Here's a vid and some of my observations:

Training at Skinner Reserve was windy but magnificent. Fast and furious. Lots of banter and energy. Bevo was emphasising quick release and precision. Watch the video for a snapshot of the crisp ball movement.
Standouts: Richards, West, Baker, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo, Daniel, Sweet, Vandermeer, Keath, Libba and Williams.
*Ugle-Hagan has the physique of a Greek God now
*Bruce training with the defenders and matched up with Lobb during all match simulation. Bruce was mobile and back to full fitness, as was Keath.
*Baker is a favorite amongst the players already - going at it 100 miles an hour. Looked awesome.
*JJ kicked a goal from about 70m out during an end-to-end drill.
*Jones cleaned up Naughton in a physical marking contest. Both going hard at it and Jones clearly wanting to make an impression.
*Weightman, Dureya, Bailey Smith, Gardner, Busslinger, Darcy, Cleary and Treloar all on modified programs or lap running.
*Players noticeably bulked up include: Khamis, Vandermeer, Bedendo, English, Williams and Raak.

What were the forward/defender matchups more broadly in the match sim (appreciating not always man on man). Sounds like Bruce/Lobb and Jones/Naughton but who’s taking Jamarra, is Keath playing loose, etc.?

What were the forward/defender matchups more broadly in the match sim (appreciating not always man on man). Sounds like Bruce/Lobb and Jones/Naughton but who’s taking Jamarra, is Keath playing loose, etc.?
There weren't many sustained match-ups as they were constantly rotating from defensive mode into attack and then swarm. Lobb and Bruce were the exceptions as they were in each other's pockets. Was fascinating. Lobb can roost a ball!

Cheers Ossi - I was on here years ago and was on the receiving end of some pretty ordinary treatment from some regulars, so I moved on. I run the WB Forum on facebook and now have the Bulldog Channel on youtube, so I will share the content here each time I upload a player interview or do a vid. I'm about to drop a podcast I did yesterday with a 2016 Premiership Player. on youtube. Check it out and please subscribe to support my Bulldog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0H1em3LEnlDiEZVr0TqOw

Fantastic mate , don’t go anywhere !
As a whole pretty good bunch of posters on here these days.
Only the odd punch up 😜

There weren't many sustained match-ups as they were constantly rotating from defensive mode into attack and then swarm. Lobb and Bruce were the exceptions as they were in each other's pockets. Was fascinating. Lobb can roost a ball!
Thanks. Sounds like it wasn’t a constant matchup but I’m excited by the prospect of Naughton doing a pre-season matched up against Jones rather than Schache. He’ll surely learn a LOT more this year.

One thing is clear from reading ITK's posts above. It will be virtually impossible to hide any new tactics/strategies, positional changes from opposition spies. Skinner Reserve is an open book.
Never mind, we sacrifice secrecy for being well-informed.😀

One thing is clear from reading ITK's posts above. It will be virtually impossible to hide any new tactics/strategies, positional changes from opposition spies. Skinner Reserve is an open book.
I understand the premise but it really shouldn't matter. You might surprise a side first up but that's it. After that they get evidence of the gamestyle and tactics every single week you play. It's also not like previous tactical and positional moves have been to our benefit anyway (Manning of the mark, Schache to wing etc.). At the end of the day, if the tactics and strategies are good enough, they'll stand up whether the opposition is aware of them or not.

Bevo may have a secret training ground for our cutting edge drills and use Skinner to run alternate plays as an act of misinformation.

So what you are saying is that it is a ruse and we WILL be backing 5m off the mark once the real games start! 😮

So what you are saying is that it is a ruse and we WILL be backing 5m off the mark once the real games start! 😮
We'll be backing 6m off the mark in the hope it is 20% more effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the premise but it really shouldn't matter. You might surprise a side first up but that's it. After that they get evidence of the gamestyle and tactics every single week you play. It's also not like previous tactical and positional moves have been to our benefit anyway (Manning of the mark, Schache to wing etc.). At the end of the day, if the tactics and strategies are good enough, they'll stand up whether the opposition is aware of them or not.
By the first pre-season match this would be clear!

I know the last guy is Lobb. But am I the only one who doesn’t recognise all the players? If you have time a name with the photo would help.

The out-of-focus player in the foreground is Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and the in-focus player smiling in the background I believe is Jason Johannisen

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back