Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks big enough for a guy doing his first afl preseason
e7b1185dc71edfad73284bb6a9c97528.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I like the look of West but I can't see him playing midfield with the current crop of mids we have. I can see him unsuccessfully being turned into a defensive forward.

As a mid he needs to bulk up cause he isn't clean on the outside and his best role is like a Shuey bursting from stoppages (minus the class of footskills).

I like the look of West but I can't see him playing midfield with the current crop of mids we have. I can see him unsuccessfully being turned into a defensive forward.

As a mid he needs to bulk up cause he isn't clean on the outside and his best role is like a Shuey bursting from stoppages (minus the class of footskills).
We are bound to get some injuries. He will get a go.

If you guys paid any attention at all, you'd know that West's arms are being replaced by Langdon's legs later this off-season through an adventurous path of experimental surgery.

images (1).jpeg

Our midfielders are generally quite old and injury prone, he's got a couple of years to make an impact

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We are bound to get some injuries. He will get a go.
I think he'll be behind a few in the pecking order really. A Redden/Sheed cover a big midfield out while the likes of Clarke and SPS probably are in front of him for midfield minutes. Also depending on how he goes at WAFL level but I can see Chesser being brought in a head of him. Also gotta note the club would love to see Rioli running through there and an injury or two in the middle could pave the way for him

I think he'll be behind a few in the pecking order really. A Redden/Sheed cover a big midfield out while the likes of Clarke and SPS probably are in front of him for midfield minutes. Also depending on how he goes at WAFL level but I can see Chesser being brought in a head of him. Also gotta note the club would love to see Rioli running through there and an injury or two in the middle could pave the way for him
Unless he's changed, West was all effort and endeavour, threw everything at it, but lacked finesse or finishing skills. With the extra mids we have now, at different levels, it will be interesting to see the pecking order evolve this season, who remain on the fringes and who get some game time. Should be some genuine pressure pushing up for spots from the Wafl, which makes for a change.

It’s not a big footy pre season without the generic “player X needs to bulk up” or “player Y’s arms are too skinny”
I love how most of you campaigners become strength and conditioning coaches every time this year!!!

On a side note I’m hanging out for some pre season games, feeling optimistic about this season if the injury gods are kind to us

On skinny arms, let's remember that Jarrod Cameron, not the bulkiest of players, was a gun tackler because he used good technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tackling is about two things. Intent and technique. If you're aiming to tackle always follow the hips. Where the hips go is where the player will go. Line up your chest with the direction of the leading point of the hip and you'll hit the man every time.

I don't give a **** if we have a lot more balls spill in tackles particularly if we show the intent to get to the ground balls. **** keeping the ball in if you're going to miss 20% more tackles. Aim low and put your shoulder and chest into the opponent's ribs.

Tackling is about two things. Intent and technique. If you're aiming to tackle always follow the hips. Where the hips go is where the player will go. Line up your chest with the direction of the leading point of the hip and you'll hit the man every time.

I don't give a fu** if we have a lot more balls spill in tackles particularly if we show the intent to get to the ground balls. fu** keeping the ball in if you're going to miss 20% more tackles. Aim low and put your shoulder and chest into the opponent's ribs.
i hope Scofield and co are getting stuck into Gaff and Sheed, the worst tacklers in our team and perhaps the league. Get those two tackling and we will be a completely different looking team.

i hope Scofield and co are getting stuck into Gaff and Sheed, the worst tacklers in our team and perhaps the league. Get those two tackling and we will be a completely different looking team.
I can’t understand how you can be an AFL player and be as bad at tackling as those two. I realise players have strengths and weaknesses to their games but AFL players should be able to tackle. Actually, I am not sure why I limited it to those two only. Most of our team have been bloody ordinary, although those two have been putrid at tackling.

I actually think a large part of the problem is with the tackling training. The club and many clubs have been aiming to take an arm and keep the ball in.

Need to take it back to basic tackling technique, nail that and then move on from there.

Nathan Schmook

@NathanSchmook

Some notes from
@WestCoastEagles
training this morning. Kade Dittmar's training block for an SSP spot has finished, with Tom Joyce starting today. Joins Luke Strnadica and Logan Young, who was impressive in a two-hour session.

Nathan Schmook

@NathanSchmook

·
1m

Replying to
@NathanSchmook
and
@WestCoastEagles
Laps and kicking away from the main group for Elliot Yeo, who is being managed after a solid pre-Christmas training block. Using the corridor and playing on quickly remained big focuses during ball-movement drills.

Gaff outbodying Patrick Cripps to take a contested mark definitely should have spelled the end of Patty's career

I'm sure this will be adjudicated fairly for all players and superstars will in no way still be allowed the old 360 spin.

It'll go the other way, where a fistful of jumper will be deemed a tackle and blokes will get pinged whilst they're freely standing unimpeded. Bookmark it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back