Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones has some elite acceleration off a standing start. You can’t overlook that. Agree with most of the other comments but you can’t read much into an intraclub highlights package.

Jones accelerating out of congestion we havent seen that for a while. Reminded me of Kerr a couple of times, running bounces and goal was nice.

JJ looks fit.....can he stay that way.

Rioli JK JJ
Petch Barrass Ryan

Waterman the bench forward. I'd be interested to see how that went, could suprise a few.

Barrass played forward in juniors I recall.

With all the injuries to mids Chesser may get a game earlier then expected, he looked composed, and big enough.

The quotes from Knights in that West article are concerning. He appears to have learned very little from his time as Essendon coach.

It's a while ago now but when he was in charge of the Bummers they were one of the easiest teams to score against in the competition. They could kick a decent score themselves but it was all one way running and they were never more than mid table nuisance value.
You know he's been incharge of the Cats midfield for a decade, right?

JK was moved deeper due to a degenerative knee condition and is now 34. Anyone who thinks he can play CHF all year is kidding themselves. That was about 8 years ago. So I highly doubt it's going to have got any better. Stints sure but not for a full year.

The reason to try Barrass up forward is as a CHF not as a full forward.

Ryan can play deep but it means you need a tall there as well even if the tall is really the decoy.

Oh and for the haters you can almost bet your house on Waterman playing from CHF come round 1 with a smaller forward line.
I'd like to see how he goes as an actual tall like he plays at WAFL level instead of the 4th tall/HF/wing position he has previously played.

I'd like to see how he goes as an actual tall like he plays at WAFL level instead of the 4th tall/HF/wing position he has previously played.

If he was played out of the goal square like Keitel is in a decent WAFL team he would lead the league in goals. He is a long way ahead of WAFL level. At AFL level he's being played as a hard running third tall but more like a flank/wing role which is a long way from his ideal position. If he plays genuine CHF and the team treat him the same as Darling do not be surprised if he puts in some big games.

Anyone suggesting west to the forward line has rocks in their head!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The worrying thing is that he doesn't seem to have improved his disposal. Which is what keeps him from being AFL level. I had strong hopes that with an AFL preseason behind him, a lot of the disposal issues may have been caused due to exhaustion etc and the extra fitness would have resolved a fair bit of it. It looks like as someone else put it, Mcginnity with long hair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones accelerating out of congestion we havent seen that for a while. Reminded me of Kerr a couple of times, running bounces and goal was nice.

JJ looks fit.....can he stay that way.

Rioli JK JJ
Petch Barrass Ryan

Waterman the bench forward. I'd be interested to see how that went, could suprise a few.

Barrass played forward in juniors I recall.

With all the injuries to mids Chesser may get a game earlier then expected, he looked composed, and big enough.
It is exciting to see these half a dozen players , alas the other 16 players that will play for us don't excite me . I don't expect big things this year

I rate Jake's forward craft and think he is much better playing closer to home but thats more like a third tall. Jack Darling was one of a kind and a dying breed of small Key forwards. JD had genuine strength to match up on tall opponents but also had speed, agility and endurance to give him a point of difference against those taller defenders. Mind you when Jack was on he was an unbelievable contested mark for his size. Only thing Jake has thats Darling like is his endurance.

I rate Jake's forward craft and think he is much better playing closer to home but thats more like a third tall. Jack Darling was one of a kind and a dying breed of small Key forwards. JD had genuine strength to match up on tall opponents but also had speed, agility and endurance to give him a point of difference against those taller defenders. Mind you when Jack was on he was an unbelievable contested mark for his size. Only thing Jake has thats Darling like is his endurance.
Darling is a rare pygmy gorilla

It is exciting to see these half a dozen players , alas the other 16 players that will play for us don't excite me . I don't expect big things this year

We said the same in 2018.

D9nt understimate the benefits in the injection of youth and new players.

Not against Barrass at chf. Certainly makes us less predictable and Barrass has something Jack doesn't, size and height. He can take a big grab too.

Last edited:
Jakes not Jack, and Jacks not back!
Darling wont be around forever and will be replaced.
There may never be another rare back-flipping, rubber-chested, pygmy gorilla?
Whoever fills that spot will bring their own set of skills.
Jakes been around on the big stage, in big moments, taken big marks, kicked big goals, he's more than capable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back