Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS and Clark being injured is a big downer. Was looking forward to seeing what they could add to our mix in the middle

Ironic isn't it. We recognised our weakness and brought in 2 mids to bolster that area in Clark and SPS, and now they are both injured. Can't take a trick. Shuey, Trew, L Edwards all still in rehab too.
Any news about our add on players from last night's game - like Dittmar, did he play?

If Clark's shoulder's been bothering him for a while why wasn't the decision made to get him in for surgery asap and get it out of the way?

If he just put it out during an intraclub it was only a matter of time before he did it once the proper AFL/WAFL games started.

Seems we've just put off the inevitable and wasted time.

Wouldn't mind seeing our injury list already compared to other clubs at this stage as well.

If Clark's shoulder's been bothering him for a while why wasn't the decision made to get him in for surgery asap and get it out of the way?

If he just put it out during an intraclub it was only a matter of time before he did it once the proper AFL/WAFL games started.

Seems we've just put off the inevitable and wasted time.

Wouldn't mind seeing our injury list already compared to other clubs at this stage as well.

Yes, it's not looking good atm.
And what peeves me off is the lack of info from last night's game - no team lists, no word on our youngsters like Winder, etc. I know it's only an intraclub game, but to us diehards, it means a lot. Club interaction with its supporter base is so poor, even dysfunctional.

Yes, it's not looking good atm.
And what peeves me off is the lack of info from last night's game - no team lists, no word on our youngsters like Winder, etc. I know it's only an intraclub game, but to us diehards, it means a lot. Club interaction with its supporter base is so poor, even dysfunctional.
Still waiting on his draft highlights video.

New West Coast Eagles midfield coach Matthew Knights unveils engine-room blueprint for 2022​

Does anyone have access to this article?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't work out who half of those players were. Think I saw Daniel Kerr at one point

Hooray! Finally have a good highlights video. Well done, communication's team.
Like the look of big boy Barrass up forward. ✅
Winder seemed lively. Jones too.
We seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker, at all costs so as to speak. Good!
Look forward to hearing more details about individual performances.
BTW, who was number 40?

7 MINUTES

From that, Chesser and Jones are certainties for Round 1 at the moment.

That footage however has done little to allay my reservations about our (lack of) defensive accountability from last year.

New West Coast Eagles midfield coach Matthew Knights unveils engine-room blueprint for 2022​

Does anyone have access to this article?
New West Coast midfield coach Matthew Knights has outlined an exciting and ambitious blueprint for a revamped engine room he believes can match it with on-ball pacesetters Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs this season.
Knights wants more goals, more speed and more variety from the Eagles’ midfield.
West Coast’s midfield has produced the lowest number of goals in the competition the past two seasons, and the Richmond great said it was a trend that must be reversed in 2022.
After being a goal-a-game man at Geelong, Tim Kelly has kicked 11 majors in 37 games as an Eagle. Fellow midfielders Luke Shuey (one goal in 20 games), Elliot Yeo (three in 22), Jack Redden (four in 31) and Andrew Gaff (eight in 39) have also struggled to convert across the past two years.
“I want to see our mids hit the scoreboard and that’s something that I believe in,” Knights said.
undefined
“They’re not going to spend a lot of time in the front half. But they should be kicking goals coming through 50 or following the play down and at a forward-50 stoppage getting a goal or two.
“It’s more an encouragement for the entire midfield group to take their chances when the time arises. It’s not being hungry. It actually supports your forward line.”
Knights said pacy forwards Jack Petruccelle, Jamaine Jones, Zac Langdon and new recruit Sam Petrevski-Seton had all been tried on-ball through the pre-season and he hoped they would have midfield stints as part of his philosophy of spreading the load.

“I love variety in the midfield, so that’s something I’ll look to establish with the type of players in there,” the former Geelong assistant said.
“I believe in a shared workload in a midfield group. I don’t believe that you can have two or three players carry the load and expect to get Ws on a consistent basis. That’s something I’m reasonably passionate about.
“I think we’ve certainly got the capabilities to be one of the top midfields in the comp.”
Knights said negating West Coast’s centre bounce dominance had been a key focus when he guided the Cats’ midfield and he was thrilled to join forces with star ruckman Nic Naitanui.
“To be able to work with him in regard to the stoppages and some of the plays we can potentially run is pretty exciting,” he said.

Knights rated the Eagles as premiership contenders and believed the club shared Geelong’s ambitious ethos of aiming to constantly contend.
Despite a summer dogged by controversy, he sensed West Coast’s football department and playing group had a “hunger, desperation and urgency” to add another flag to their famous 2018 triumph.
“I’ve come from a club that plans to win a premiership every year. And no doubt they’re (the Eagles) going to be similar. And I love that,” he said.
“That’s going to take a lot of quality football, a lot of quality execution from game to game and if you give yourselves a chance to be in that finals series come the end of the year, well you have a crack at it.
“But you’ve got to take care of business from round one onwards and that’s what it is. But I’m here to be with a club that gets Ws. And that’s what I believe in.”

New West Coast midfield coach Matthew Knights has outlined an exciting and ambitious blueprint for a revamped engine room he believes can match it with on-ball pacesetters Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs this season.
Knights wants more goals, more speed and more variety from the Eagles’ midfield.
West Coast’s midfield has produced the lowest number of goals in the competition the past two seasons, and the Richmond great said it was a trend that must be reversed in 2022.
After being a goal-a-game man at Geelong, Tim Kelly has kicked 11 majors in 37 games as an Eagle. Fellow midfielders Luke Shuey (one goal in 20 games), Elliot Yeo (three in 22), Jack Redden (four in 31) and Andrew Gaff (eight in 39) have also struggled to convert across the past two years.
“I want to see our mids hit the scoreboard and that’s something that I believe in,” Knights said.
undefined
“They’re not going to spend a lot of time in the front half. But they should be kicking goals coming through 50 or following the play down and at a forward-50 stoppage getting a goal or two.
“It’s more an encouragement for the entire midfield group to take their chances when the time arises. It’s not being hungry. It actually supports your forward line.”
Knights said pacy forwards Jack Petruccelle, Jamaine Jones, Zac Langdon and new recruit Sam Petrevski-Seton had all been tried on-ball through the pre-season and he hoped they would have midfield stints as part of his philosophy of spreading the load.

“I love variety in the midfield, so that’s something I’ll look to establish with the type of players in there,” the former Geelong assistant said.
“I believe in a shared workload in a midfield group. I don’t believe that you can have two or three players carry the load and expect to get Ws on a consistent basis. That’s something I’m reasonably passionate about.
“I think we’ve certainly got the capabilities to be one of the top midfields in the comp.”
Knights said negating West Coast’s centre bounce dominance had been a key focus when he guided the Cats’ midfield and he was thrilled to join forces with star ruckman Nic Naitanui.
“To be able to work with him in regard to the stoppages and some of the plays we can potentially run is pretty exciting,” he said.

Knights rated the Eagles as premiership contenders and believed the club shared Geelong’s ambitious ethos of aiming to constantly contend.
Despite a summer dogged by controversy, he sensed West Coast’s football department and playing group had a “hunger, desperation and urgency” to add another flag to their famous 2018 triumph.
“I’ve come from a club that plans to win a premiership every year. And no doubt they’re (the Eagles) going to be similar. And I love that,” he said.
“That’s going to take a lot of quality football, a lot of quality execution from game to game and if you give yourselves a chance to be in that finals series come the end of the year, well you have a crack at it.
“But you’ve got to take care of business from round one onwards and that’s what it is. But I’m here to be with a club that gets Ws. And that’s what I believe in.”
That is a very sexy article

Hooray! Finally have a good highlights video. Well done, communication's team.
Like the look of big boy Barrass up forward.
Winder seemed lively. Jones too.
We seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker, at all costs so as to speak. Good!
Look forward to hearing more details about individual performances.
BTW, who was number 40?

That was my question to? Who is number 40? Is it JJ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back