Autopsy PRESEASON - Geelong v Brisbane Thursday Mar 2 2023, 710pm @Holmes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swans, Freo, Saints, Hawks...any others?
swans easily as well up at the SCG.. recall after that game our fan base declared a rebuild and the sky was falling. freo pipped us at geelong as well earlyish on.

There is not a great deal in it between sides these days and i don't believe in the concept of super power sides anymore... 2-3% fluctuations in form either way is enough to propell you to first place or knock you out of the 8 as we have seen... example melbourne, freo first half to second halfs of years... compare to us and our second half of the year.

Never will be a key forward. He is not big enough.
Bingo, his role is as a third forward who can take marks but not take the monster defenders. Thats for Hawk now, and hopefully Neale in future.

The question is how will the team change when Rohan is out so we lose his defending, but OHenry comes in (different type of forward).

Only two praccy matches but he's got the makings of being a good little long-term player. Clean and fast hands with a greasy ball while other's were fumbling is always a good sign.

Brisbane got to fine-tune their game plan.

We got to see that the second tier of players are like

Sadly the only one that impressed me was Bruhn
We also got to see that perhaps Sav can hold down a key back position
We also got to see that SDK may switch from FB to FF/CHF

Brisbane got to fine-tune their game plan.

We got to see that the second tier of players are like

Sadly the only one that impressed me was Bruhn
We also got to see that perhaps Sav can hold down a key back position
We also got to see that SDK may switch from FB to FF/CHF
We saw Sav is good depth if SDK gets injured, Bruhn was super impressive, ZGuthrie might go up another level next year, and we got a good look at how Brisbane will set up to play us.

Lots of space out the back for them to run into. Would imagine we don't let that fly during the season but Brisbanes aim was to hit counters off half back and it was easy for them to do that while we had a million i50s and no key forwards.

Every Geelong supporter wants to see the Cats win every single game - including practise matches

But 2 weeks out from the season - reigning premiers - crushed Haw in the 1st practise match - so its a pretty good loss to have really ( no premiership points at stake ) any loss sharpens the focus a bit - and Coll ( the rd 1 opponent ) often jump Geel in the start of games - like the 2 matches last year - and other games in previous years - so that loss to Bris might be a bit of a god send - hopefully have the Cats nice and sharp and focussed from the start against the Magpies

Today fortnight is when it all counts - another Geel v Coll game - and they are good games to win

He looks terrific. Such a smooth mover. He’ll be debuting this year for sure. Looks like that rebounding defender we have been craving.

I also like that he looked a bit more composed with ball in hand compared with some senior teammates who looked a little rushed last night

I also like that he looked a bit more composed with ball in hand compared with some senior teammates who looked a little rushed last night
He is a ripper. I watched a lot of VFL early last year and he with Dempsey and Scratcher were the standouts.

People scoffed when I interpreted geelong media hype with emerging debuts - but frankly there is a high correlation. Usually takes more than one post but if we start seeing multiple posts then the debut will be near (I reckon media team have a hidden camera in the selection meetings)

He is also on my increasingly large “favourites’ list…. Dempsey, SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, Toby, Whyte, Mitch. I have a lot of love to go around but it is certainly been stretched…I love our future as well as the present

Only two praccy matches but he's got the makings of being a good little long-term player. Clean and fast hands with a greasy ball while other's were fumbling is always a good sign.
Already showing great signs. As much as I'm bullish about all four 'first-rounders' we picked up at the end of last year, he seriously could be the best of the lot. Love how hard at it he is, and also shows some spark to run with the footy and then link up.

Will be a fan favourite in no time, I figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he in Qld with the team?

If so it likely happened up there - maybe went to the wrong cafe to get something to eat
Can definitely confirm he was out there with the team at open training on the Gold Coast. So must have been a relatively late call to have him sit it out.

Holmes was listed as injured on AFL app, anyone know what happened there?
Got crunched in a contest on the wing during the third quarter. It wasn't too far from where we were sitting so I kept an eye on the aftermath. He immediately signaled to the bench that he was coming off and then was worked on by the physio for quite a while after that.

Very glad to see him getting around on the ground after the game so I expect it was just a decent corkie. Rest and ice should see him come good in plenty of time for Round 1, I expect.

I don't think anyone cares about going up there and losing a practice game by 6-7 goals.

I reckon CS was surprised how seriously they took a practice game tactically.

The forward structure was really scary but, given it is possible they might have to rely on the same personnel for Rd1.
I'm thinking the same.

Last edited:
He looks terrific. Such a smooth mover. He’ll be debuting this year for sure. Looks like that rebounding defender we have been craving.
like Stewart, Zuthrie, Bews?
And at times, Tuohy.
And DeKoning?
And Jack Henry?

Finally got to watch replay.

Sav was very good and may have found his role.

Ceglar doesn’t offer a lot. Prefer we don’t play two rucks and hope Blitz/Sav/Neale can cover 2nd Ruck. Ceglar may be ok option to bring in if Stanley needs a rest for a few weeks.

I was a little disappointed with Dempsey as thought it may be a good opportunity for him. He looked a bit nervous under a couple of high balls, expecting contact.

Rohan looked switched on. Perhaps he can feel his spot was under pressure with Henry and Dempsey.

Holmes handballs could be cleaner if he wants to go next level.

Simpson was ok appears a touch slower than I remember but clean with disposal. If he could add overhead marking to his game he might provide something different. Its going to be tough for him to break into the side.

Didn't realise left-footedness was a prerequisite for being a rebounding defender- Boris, Mackie...
Its more about the fact he offers something different, like when we had Josh Hunt bringing the ball out from one side, and Mackie the other... Or last year where we had Smith on one wing and Holmes on the other...

Missed the game, how did the defence work with both SDK and Sav in it? Can it function with both or us Sav a replacement only?

I think in any other team Sav would be a gun key defender but worry he can’t coexist with SDK. Thoughts?

He will be a very good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back