Game Day Preseason Scrimmage -West Coast v Fremantle, Sat 24/2 : Let the melts begin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way we can throw Reid into the midfield full time in his first year.

Even a prodigious athlete like Ginbey broke down half way through last year because he was in the midfield way too much.

There is a very good reason why highly drafted midfielders are only part time midfielders for the first couple of years.

Even a prodigious athlete like Ginbey broke down half way through last year because he was in the midfield way too much.

There is a very good reason why highly drafted midfielders are only part time midfielders for the first couple of years.

I dont think Ginbeys 1 extra pre season necessarily is making him more ready then Reid at this stage. Its not 100% ideal but out of the 2 im picking Reid in the middle

Id be inclined to rest him forward but be a predominant midfielder though so not really a 100% midfielder like id want from Kelly for example

I dont think Ginbeys 1 extra pre season necessarily is making him more ready then Reid at this stage. Its not 100% ideal but out of the 2 im picking Reid in the middle

Id be inclined to rest him forward but be a predominant midfielder though so not really a 100% midfielder like id want from Kelly for example
Reid just can’t be in and under full time. Let him hang off the packs and play an outside role, rather than digging it out for the others.

One annoyance or aspect we have at present is well Simmos obsession that you gotta have big arms to be a midfielder. Greatest example of this is the Reid/Ginbey conundrum

Based on team balance, we simply have this one the wrong way around

Ginbey NEEDS to be off HBF and swapping around with Elliot Yeo. Harley Reid needs to be 100% full time midfielder who shouldnt even know what the term HBF staands for in football never mind play it

If we go with a 3 of Kelly, Yeo, Reid its much more balanced.

The second Simmo is sacked come Round 15 and we make this change, our form will improve thereafter for sure.
One annoyance or aspect we have at present is well Simmos obsession that you gotta have big arms to be a midfielder.
Is this a troll account or are you being serious?
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

This game showed one thing and that is regardless of anything we do this season Petrucelle/Brockman/Long all need ample midfield minutes over the season. One of them should be in our midfield 5 at all times. We also need in the 22 the second he is fit enough for AFL football

I think for Tyler Brockman id like to see us go the Shai Bolton route and play him majority midfield and rest up forward if his body allows it

Stopped reading once i saw the name Petrucelle/midlfield in the same sentence. Cmon man, I am starting to think the coaching staff think like this and hence why we make no progress.

One annoyance or aspect we have at present is well Simmos obsession that you gotta have big arms to be a midfielder. Greatest example of this is the Reid/Ginbey conundrum

Based on team balance, we simply have this one the wrong way around

Ginbey NEEDS to be off HBF and swapping around with Elliot Yeo. Harley Reid needs to be 100% full time midfielder who shouldnt even know what the term HBF staands for in football never mind play it

If we go with a 3 of Kelly, Yeo, Reid its much more balanced.

The second Simmo is sacked come Round 15 and we make this change, our form will improve thereafter for sure.

Could not agree more. Nothing to benefit him playing HBF.

Why? It is just nonsense to think he can't play midfield in his first year. Ginbey didin't do a hamstring because he played midfield.
And most part time midfielders play forward not in defence where the work load is huge.

We are the bottom club in the land, we are in the great position where we can play our star young mid in the midfield in his first year and get learning on the job happening quickly.
He is more than ready to play and hence why he was drafted at pick 1. He won't get injured because of his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll let more knowledgeable posters elaborate if they wish but playing full time midfield is an extremely gruelling role to take on. Just because a first year player is a talented midfielder, doesn't mean you throw them in there full time.

He has been playing full time mid for the last 5 years of his early footy life. A full time mid gets plenty of breaks forward and on the bench. It's just footy mate, why do we want to make it something it isn't.
Agree to disagree. He should be playing midfield and would be under pretty much 90% of all AFL coaches. Just as Judd did.

He has been playing full time mid for the last 5 years of his early footy life. A full time mid gets plenty of breaks forward and on the bench. It's just footy mate, why do we want to make it something it isn't.
Agree to disagree. He should be playing midfield and would be under pretty much 90% of all AFL coaches. Just as Judd did.

Umm, playing against juniors to then playing against mature AFL bodies is a gigantic leap, even for someone like Reid.

You can't seriously be suggesting that because he played mid as a junior(actually split time between back/forward and mid last 2 years, so not a FT mid anyway) that he's physically capable enough to match it with senior AFL mids in his first year...

No, he hasn't. Even two years ago he was predominately played down back.

We are talking about kicks out of FB . I wish Hunt would not always hurtle towards the wing and then bomb it. Stop , prop, turn to the middle, demand a lead. We are obsessed with kicking long!! Sure; Hunts speed gets him 20m further out but the result is the same.Boom!!. I wish we could get Flyin’ Ryan to kick out!

Stopped reading once i saw the name Petrucelle/midlfield in the same sentence. Cmon man, I am starting to think the coaching staff think like this and hence why we make no progress.
Oh I hate this as I write it but I also understand we dont have alternatives or better options

In my head im counting downt he minutes til Bugriel is ready

Just a reminder folks, Jack Petrucelle signed a two year contract extension last year. He's on our list until the end of 2025. When he inevitably gets delisted, he'll have spent 7 years in the AFL system, despite having achieved utterly *-all. Not a bad gig really.

laughs in Fraser McInnes

Umm, playing against juniors to then playing against mature AFL bodies is a gigantic leap, even for someone like Reid.

You can't seriously be suggesting that because he played mid as a junior(actually split time between back/forward and mid last 2 years, so not a FT mid anyway) that he's physically capable enough to match it with senior AFL mids in his first year...

No one is saying that, I am saying that he should be playing through the midfield as his priority role. He can be rested back, forward or on the bench but his priority role this year is to learn and pick up the AFL pace in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back