price for the wooden spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

At least we got a number 1 pick with our spoon.

(And before you make a crack about us giving it away just remember we got McPharlin out of that deal, who's pretty much better than the entire eagles backline put together)

Richmond is the only other club who's been dumb enough to win a spoon and still manage to miss out on the no.1 pick.

(And before you make a crack about us giving it away just remember we got McPharlin out of that deal, who's pretty much better than the entire eagles backline put together)

so you traded the picks that got Mitchell and Hodge and got McPharlin and thats somehow a win?

so you traded the picks that got Mitchell and Hodge and got McPharlin and thats somehow a win?

I would have been pretty happy to get a player of McPharlin's quality with that pick. Who Hawthorn drafted is irrelevant - if they'd drafted 2 duds would the deal magically become better even though we gave up the same draft picks?

But regardless, never said it was a win as such, just not the epic fail people try to claim it is when they act like Croad was the only thing we got out of the deal.

I would have been pretty happy to get a player of McPharlin's quality with that pick. Who Hawthorn drafted is irrelevant - if they'd drafted 2 duds would the deal magically become better even though we gave up the same draft picks?

But regardless, never said it was a win as such, just not the epic fail people try to claim it is when they act like Croad was the only thing we got out of the deal.

Considering the talent available in that draft, it was a pretty big fail. Hodge/Judd should have looked better than Croad and McPharlin to our recruiters,let alone with the Mitchell pick thrown in. We wouldn't do that deal these days.

Richmond is the only other club who's been dumb enough to win a spoon and still manage to miss out on the no.1 pick.

Technically you did miss out on the number 1 pick though, Hodge or Judd please don't say you would still prefer McPharlin over one of those two guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think hindsight still shows it to be more than an epic fail. McPharlin wanted to come home and we could have organised a separate trade for him and kept Croad/#1 out of it. Even if we had to use pick 4 for McPharlin, or more likely trade #20 and #36 just for McPharlin ... I still see the trade as pretty much Croad for #1, which is insanity. The imbeciles running our club probably still would have taken Polak and Sampi with #1 and #4.

The imbeciles running our club probably still would have taken Polak and Sampi with #1 and #4.

See there you go. Even trading the no.1 pick for Leigh Brown would have been a massive win compared to that.

You could almost excuse the Croad trade given the circumstances. But how's this? After a bloke we could have gotten with out first pick in 2001 won the Brownlow in 2004, we made the decision to trade picks for players again. Lesson not learned.

And for those who like say it was a weak draft that year anyway - well last years was supposedly a weak draft, and we've had six players debut from it this season and spent most of the time in the top four.

Yes, we were indeed operated by clowns. Where's Ripper to defend them?

The spoon idea. It is poor, apparently someone at Dockerland started the idea.

Imagine if we lose. If I were an eagle i'd be laughing, tell every man woman and child holding a spoon to shove it up their ar$e and thanking them for saving their season from cutlery.

Such a bad idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

price for the wooden spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back