News Progress for Fremantle Oval master plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/130837/default.aspx

The Fremantle Football Club has welcomed a decision by the State Government to approve a change of purpose of reserve for the Stan Reilly Centre site.

The Government announced today that it supported the City of Fremantle’s vision for the redevelopment of the Stan Reilly Centre site, a key element of the Fremantle Oval precinct, and had granted it permission to incorporate ancillary commercial activities under a new management order.

Minister for Regional Development and Lands Brendon Grylls said it was an important step in the redevelopment of the site on South Terrace, Fremantle.

Interesting.

Great for the club and always on the cards to go ahead.

I work for a not-for-profit in Freo and there's a few community services around that area. Doesn't look like they get a look in with the new facility.

I've not followed it closely, but I do remember seeing at least one rendition of the proposed plans including all sorts of extra bits and bobs including some 'community service' type facilities - of course 'community service' is a broad term - but either way, it appeared to be more than simply about the Dockers and a few commercial facilities.

Anyway, lots of water (= bureaucratic red tape) to go under the bridge yet, so we'll see what happens.

Thought I add this.

Very curious this. Suddenly Fremantle Council cares?
Will be developed by 2029. Probably 2039 with the dinosaurs in charge

It's a dump in some areas
I am not sure where you're walking and what you're expecting? Are you talking about Queen St and/or top of High St?

For mine it is much better than it was 10 years ago when the place was filled with empty shops.

I find it much easier to park nowadays with the reno of queensgate parking and the additional parking behind old synagogue.

There's now a reason to go to some of the previously dead areas:
Gage roads in the harbour
Fomo in kings square
Opened up the alley at the back of Benny's and Newport.
The Notre Dame section is collecting a few nice bars and restaurants.

South freo is always busy with some nice additions in Percy flints, local hotel, la cabana, wild bakery. As well as the usual cafes.

I find there's much more to do than any of the Scarborough, leederville, Beaufort St, northbridge areas. To sustain a larger area they would need to get more people to come in which I think would only come through more apartments and residents or a rail connection to Cockburn.

I am not sure where you're walking and what you're expecting? Are you talking about Queen St and/or top of High St?

For mine it is much better than it was 10 years ago when the place was filled with empty shops.

I find it much easier to park nowadays with the reno of queensgate parking and the additional parking behind old synagogue.

Fomo in kings square

South freo is always busy with some nice additions in Percy flints, local hotel, la cabana, wild bakery. As well as the usual cafes.

I find there's much more to do than any of the Scarborough, leederville, Beaufort St, northbridge areas. To sustain a larger area they would need to get more people to come in which I think would only come through more apartments and residents or a rail connection to Cockburn.

If they could just get the bloody wool stores developed it would be huge.

I was in town last night. Had a bit of fish and chips at Kailis. That place was heaving.

Came back down high st from the round house. Lots of good little places, including even the Buff club, which they’re trying to do some stuff with.
Go the other way and go to Manuka and Gypsy Tapas.

Take a stroll through Freo sometime, it's pretty vibrant again.
I’ve always loved Fremantle.
Just feel the over the top heritage and council’s refusal to even expand is frustrating.
So much potential with the oval. Can close Parry St from High St to South Terrace and connect the markets and allow pedestrian traffic. Would be great.

I’ve always loved Fremantle.
Just feel the over the top heritage and council’s refusal to even expand is frustrating.
So much potential with the oval. Can close Parry St from High St to South Terrace and connect the markets and allow pedestrian traffic. Would be great.
Fremantle FC would still have been stationed at Fremantle oval had the FCC gone that exta yard to keep them there.
Even now, the Johnny come latelys are trying to stop the development.Stating it could cause society, or social problems.

Fomo in kings square

I don't disagree with any of this, but it also kind of highlights the elephant in the room - FCC is all about development on the strict condition that it fits within the established historic infrastructure.

The Old Synagogue is fantastic, but it's a lot easier for a pub/restaurant to hollow out an old building and work within the constraints than it is for a football club.

Between the ridiculous conditions we faced on any Freo Oval redevelopment and the cosmic insanity East Freo are having to put up with at Moss Street, it's hard to see things changing in the immediate term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree with any of this, but it also kind of highlights the elephant in the room - FCC is all about development on the strict condition that it fits within the established historic infrastructure.

The Old Synagogue is fantastic, but it's a lot easier for a pub/restaurant to hollow out an old building and work within the constraints than it is for a football club.

Between the ridiculous conditions we faced on any Freo Oval redevelopment and the cosmic insanity East Freo are having to put up with at Moss Street, it's hard to see things changing in the immediate term.
I'm sure they are more pedantic than most. Just wanted to highlight Ive been happy to see quite a bit of development recently compared to the 10-20 years before it.

A marquis redevelopment of freo oval would be awesome, maybe they can knock off some of the hospital and that rear access road to get it to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Progress for Fremantle Oval master plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back