Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

West Sydney Bulls

The Bull being representative of the Western NSW outback

The Bull representing a strong masculine mascot ,as opposed to the swan
(A mascot with b**lls (see the photo) , obvious nickname ??)

Colours - Outback red ,and two blues (NSW sporting colours)

The Name although similar to Melbourne's Western Bulldogs, they're really 2 totally different mascots

The jumper - 2 blues ,and outback red stylised bulls horns, or a bull motiff

152nt03.jpg

NB picture is of the wall st bull

West Sydney Waratahs.

The idea has some merit considering the Waratah club was instrumental in getting football up and running in Sydney in the 19th century. It would be good to raise the profile of this history.

That said, I don't like clubs with flowers for names, and alliteration in names is childish. Not surprisingly, AFL clubs with alliteraton fare poorly.

Perhaps its reserves team in the Sydney league could be called the Warratahs.

The idea has some merit considering the Waratah club was instrumental in getting football up and running in Sydney in the 19th century. It would be good to raise the profile of this history.

That said, I don't like clubs with flowers for names, and alliteration in names is childish. Not surprisingly, AFL clubs with alliteraton fare poorly.

Perhaps its reserves team in the Sydney league could be called the Warratahs.

NO

It's the idea of ripping the name of the super 14 team the NSW waratahs. FFS people!

NO

It's the idea of ripping the name of the super 14 team the NSW waratahs. FFS people!

The history of the Warratah name is very interesting and it would be good promotion to raise the profile. Initially, the Warratah club played rugby, but they decided rugby was slow and boring. Then they invited Carlton to Sydney so that they could show football was much better. A big crowd saw the game, liked it, and a new lfootball eague was born. Then Waratah defected to Australian football. Union then ripped it back off Australian football after rugby league came along.

I can see some value in being provocative. It would be illegal to try to name a professional team the warratahs, as rugby union would put in a legal challenge, but a team called the Blacktown Warratahs with reserve grade players might be ok.

The waratah is the symbol of NSW and is something people from outside of Sydney can relate to. Inevatably it can only promote support for a team which innitially will really struggle for fans.

The waratah is the symbol of NSW and is something people from outside of Sydney can relate to. Inevatably it can only promote support for a team which innitially will really struggle for fans.

Legally it just wouldn't be possible, but I do agree that it is important to make it feel like a genuine Sydney team. Personally, I've never been able to support the Swans as they are simply a failed Melbourne club with a pansy name and that view seems to be quite widely shared up north.

Legally it just wouldn't be possible, but I do agree that it is important to make it feel like a genuine Sydney team. Personally, I've never been able to support the Swans as they are simply a failed Melbourne club with a pansy name and that view seems to be quite widely shared up north.
Don't be too sure with regards to legality of name.

Interesting perspective. Do you think that a Western Sydney team if done right, capturing that essence of Sydney that the Swans seem to lack, could possibly become larger and more popular than the Swans?

They won't be the Waratahs. Regardless of legalities, they won't want to look like they are ripping the name straight from a club in a competing code because that will get them off on the wrong foot immediately.
I have no doubt they won't be the waratahs. Still think it would be great for the club and area though. Maybe the West Sydney Bridges or the Opera Houses...

I live in the Sydney area, and the last thing I'd want to see is a name that is ripped straight from the Americanism handbook like the NRL did with the Titans.

I have no doubt they won't be the waratahs. Still think it would be great for the club and area though. Maybe the West Sydney Bridges or the Opera Houses...

I live in the Sydney area, and the last thing I'd want to see is a name that is ripped straight from the Americanism handbook like the NRL did with the Titans.

Agreed. Pretty much anything in the NRL or anything generic like Force or Thunder or some crap has no place in AFL. Unfortunately, I fear that looking to go modern and appeal to the younger generation this may be the case.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting perspective. Do you think that a Western Sydney team if done right, capturing that essence of Sydney that the Swans seem to lack, could possibly become larger and more popular than the Swans?

The swans pulled more than 60k 3 times last year to ANZ so I don't think they lack anything. West sydney will suit fans more if games are played at ANZ, hopefully they get a huge backing like gold Coast will.

The new team could be to Aussie rules in Sydney what Melbourne victory was to soccer in Melbourne. Soccer fans just didn't like cheering for clubs like Melbourne Croatia or whatever other ethnic flag that they associated themselves with. The Swans have the same problem in Sydney. Essentially they are an ethnic club for ex-pat Victorians who don't have a problem with cheering on the heritage of their homeland. The Swans are not a genuin Sydney team. That's why they have underachieved in their 30 years in Sydney. It is a shame, Aussie rules has 130 years of history in Sydney, and has produced many fine footballers, and all those positive associations has been swamped with this late Melbourne implant with its ballerina name.

They won't be the Waratahs. Regardless of legalities, they won't want to look like they are ripping the name straight from a club in a competing code because that will get them off on the wrong foot immediately.

They won't be the Waratahs. Regardless of legalities, Sydney people would be
too ignorant to understand that it was originally the name of an
Aussie Rules football that played in Sydney and in fact RU stole the name .

:mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Hill_convict_rebellion

After reading a bit more about Battle of Vinegar Hill, I think:

West Sydney Rebels could work. It's bit more manly than the Swans so could work well for the good ole' East-West; Silvertails-Fibros; Yuppies-Westies; Collared shirt, Sandals, Slacks, Chardonnay set-VB, Singlet, Flannie & Thongs set divide :thumbsu:

Eureka stockade picture, I know, but the uniforms of the authorities would not have changed:

dec3_eureka1.jpg

Check out the colours of the authorities. Then remind yourself of the Swans colours. Exactly.

Gold Coast Dolphins Australian Football Club.

and

West Sydney Miners Australian Football Club.

I'm pretty sure I read that the Gold Coast Titans (NRL) originally wanted to call themselves the Dolphins, but the Redcliffe Dolphins (from the Queensland state rugby league comp) threatened to sue.

So although its a great name for any coastal team, I don't think it could be used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back