Analysis PROS v CONS of finishing last, winning spoon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, usually a taboo topic - but one that I'd like people's opinion/s on :thumbsu:

For mine:

PROS:
1. Land best kid in the land (as seen at that particular time).
2. Pick 1 has the most leverage when it comes to potentially trading it.
3. Pre-season draft threat gets taken out of the equation when it comes to Taylor, Green etc.
4. Essendon don't get the ultimate reward for illegal drug regime.

CONS:
1. Finishing last when there is a club decimated by drug suspensions.
2. Morale at the club.
3. Seals the fate of Leppa (but some may place this one in the PROS).

Cons - Losing to a filthy club who are regularly assisted by the VicFL and the media.
- Winning the spoon is never acceptable especially at this proud club.
- Pick 1 might somehow end up being another Jack Watts.

Pros
- ...Possibility of a priority pick? (Doubtful but eh, I'll cling onto any bit of hope)

lose to the bombers and a 1 win season almost certainly follows. with the current "how do we fix brisbane" mindset in the media and the footy loving public we are IMO a huge chance of receiving a PP ie. picks 1 and 2.

the AFL are a reactionary body and react to perceptions, when that perception of brisbanes hopelessness is confirmed as a reality via on field performance they will act even though it would be only a very small part of what we need for that "fix".

in saying that i would prefer we avoided the spoon and won 2-3 more matches, possible wins- essendon, carlton (H) + ? miracle on grass version 2.

the likely top 3 in the draft SPS, McGluggage, brodie would all be great for us.

Priority pick would be the big one.

Can't see us not getting one if we finish below a team that has half it's best 22 suspended

Probably a 1/4 at the very most :thumbsu:

Hurley
Watson
Heppell
Hibberd
Hooker
Colyer

Rest are borderline and nowhere near the quality of the above six

Myers
Hocking
Stanton
Howlett
Belchambers
Pears

Hurley
Watson
Heppell
Hibberd
Hooker
Colyer

Myers
Hocking
Stanton
Howlett
Belchambers
Pears
Ah ok, that's fair enough, I was wrong to say a half. Sentiment is the same though, finishing below the team impacted by WADA bans is a trigger for a PP.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hurley
Watson
Heppell
Hibberd
Hooker
Colyer

Myers
Hocking
Stanton
Howlett
Belchambers
Pears
hurley and hooker alone would make a huge difference as elite key position players in a young side, wouldn't mind them up here.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley
Watson
Heppell
Hibberd
Hooker
Colyer

Myers
Hocking
Stanton
Howlett
Belchambers
Pears

Myers Stanton Hocking and Bellchambers would be in the side for sure right now, Howlett would be on the fringe and Pears not.

I think you guys are finished (obviously) but I do think your team is repairable. Need to get rid of some players you have on your list that are not good enough such as Mayes, Merrett and possibly Taylor (overrated to be honest) the money he is asking for is ridiculous as is Josh Green who also should go for value.

I think you guys are finished (obviously) but I do think your team is repairable. Need to get rid of some players you have on your list that are not good enough such as Mayes, Merrett and possibly Taylor (overrated to be honest) the money he is asking for is ridiculous as is Josh Green who also should go for value.
Thanks for your insights. I suppose your other 8 posts went to the boards of Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Thanks for your insights. I suppose your other 8 posts went to the boards of Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda.
nah not really them teams actually have talent to get them back in the top 8 unlike your team. All the best of luck for your team in the next few years.

Thinking from a broad comp perspective it would be the best year to give a PP. we're comfortably the worst team and the second worst team has a host of suspended players that'll come back and potentially launch them into the eight. The next cabs off the rank will have 4-5 more wins than us and some decent upside - Freo should be in contention for the 8 and the Suns just need to stay/get healthy.

Obviously the main argument for a PP will be years of struggles, debt, gh5, Clarke retiring etc but the above viewpoint certainly helps our chances

Thinking from a broad comp perspective it would be the best year to give a PP. we're comfortably the worst team and the second worst team has a host of suspended players that'll come back and potentially launch them into the eight. The next cabs off the rank will have 4-5 more wins than us and some decent upside - Freo should be in contention for the 8 and the Suns just need to stay/get healthy.

Obviously the main argument for a PP will be years of struggles, debt, gh5, Clarke retiring etc but the above viewpoint certainly helps our chances
And is not like the pp will catapult us up the ladder. Still going to be low next year so no loud bite back from other clubs

Agree with all that apart from getting rid of Mayes. He has been a shining light in defence for most of the year and is finally starting to develop into a very handy player. Would be silly to get rid of him

It's the year we had to have unfortunately. We have received so much media attention the last couple of months the AFL has no choice but to step up and help us out. Hopefully that translates to a PP, extra money for our footy dept. and money for our new training facilities. Expect there will be conditions that comes with their help such as letting them appoint a new coach and a reshuffling of our footy department. If that means winning more games of footy I couldn't give a shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back