News Puma - North's new apparel partner

Remove this Banner Ad

Kookaburra should do a good line in hats for those tragic types who can't accept male pattern baldness as they age ands have to wear ridiculous bullshit on their head to cover up their screaming anxieties though.

There is that.

I don't believe sales data and market share come into it. It's really just a sponsorship. Or a licensing arrangement might be a better way to describe it. Think of it like this.

Let's say we could get a meeting with the Air Jordan Nike sub-brand to discuss supplying NMFC apparel. There's some sports fashion credibility. Or as previously mentioned, a fashion label like Tommy Hilfiger who supplies Mercedes F1. Even if they took our phone call, undoubtedly, the deal on offer would be the club writing out a large cheque to the fashion label to manufacture apparel and merch because those companies would not see the cost benefit of actually paying for the rights. On the other hand, a brand trying to crack into this market would be prepared to write a substantial cheque to become a licensee/sponsor of a team in exchange for the opportunity to sell apparel and merchandise. They put up the money up front and then they get to cash in on the sales.

That's the economics of all this. Sales of merch and apparel is not something the club shares in to any significant degree. That's the gamble the fashion or sports apparel label takes in entering into the deal to begin with.
Yeah thanks for the lesson on commercial agreements. I just reckon a lot of people who would buy gear with a swoosh or a big cat on it wouldn't buy gear with a cool member of the kingfisher family on it. I'd love to know the impact it has on sales at the roo shop when the apparel carries a brand people trust to be fashionable.

l dont like wearing apparel with company logos or advertising if l have a choice. This also goes with other things like car dealerships. My attitude is, if you want me to advertise your product or company then you reward me for it.. ;)

Its really not lol, what matters is $$$.

That's where things like shorts sponsors come in. We finished the season without one - first time that's happened in my lifetime by the way.

Basic reality is that any 'brand' is going to offer us roughly the same coin in an apparel partnership. What adds real value is the quality, accessibility, and supporter inclination to actually purchase the new gear each season.

I didn't like Puma's efforts in 2024 - the Navy Blue motif was a huge swing and a miss. But what's undeniable is that the quality of their gear was good, our on-field apparel was the best it's been in years, it's a recognisable brand, and they have standalone stores where they displayed North Melbourne gear prominently at places like Chadstone. This stuff matters.

You don't need to take a position in opposition to me over everything just because you love a debate. Kookaburra would be a pretty lousy brand to partner with. We all know it. It reeks of bargain-bin, K-mart level quality type of association. I don't want my footy club to be thought of in those terms. I want my footy club to reflect premium success at every level, including our apparel.

Kookaburra should do a good line in hats for those tragic types who can't accept male pattern baldness as they age ands have to wear ridiculous bullshit on their head to cover up their screaming anxieties though.

There is that.
Well there's accepting it and then there's living with the consequences of it.
Sunburn, windburn, cold, the noise rain makes when it slaps on your scalp. Some days you just gotta wear a hat.
Most people with this affliction are too old to worry about what brand our hat is though.

Yeah thanks for the lesson on commercial agreements. I just reckon a lot of people who would buy gear with a swoosh or a big cat on it wouldn't buy gear with a cool member of the kingfisher family on it. I'd love to know the impact it has on sales at the roo shop when the apparel carries a brand people trust to be fashionable.

Do you honestly think that people who are going to be buy AFL gear aren't more affected by WHAT TEAM it is than the manufacturer?

Like, am I going to buy a sweet bit of Richmond merch because its made by Puma?

No.

Do you honestly think that people who are going to be buy AFL gear aren't more affected by WHAT TEAM it is than the manufacturer?

No.

Nobody is claiming it's about getting neutrals to buy our merch, and trying to frame the argument like that is so typical of you and your habit of inventing arguments in your head.

The issue is about North supporters spending their hard earned on new gear... or not.

Now this I can agree with.

When Puma came on board the big sell was they were going to lean into a gritty urban vibe that would help us sell sports fashion apparel etc.

They had Jaidyn and Tarryn as key "faces" lololololololololololololol.

We need to concentrate on winning games and getting 35k through the door regularly, not try and be a global fashion brand in the way the really big sporting clubs can.

Believe me, I get it, I've done the sports fashion thing, it's basically defined what I wear from when I was about 10 lol.

I still have this beautiful heritage Celtic top I bought in Glasgow 15 years ago, great bit of gear, I wish we had the economic centre of gravity to do it, but we don't.

We need $$$ from our sponsors.

Celtic.PNG

That's where things like shorts sponsors come in. We finished the season without one - first time that's happened in my lifetime by the way.

Basic reality is that any 'brand' is going to offer us roughly the same coin in an apparel partnership. What adds real value is the quality, accessibility, and supporter inclination to actually purchase the new gear each season.

That's not the case at all - different deals are very heavily weighted in different ways re actual cold hard $$$ v contra etc etc.

I didn't like Puma's efforts in 2024 - the Navy Blue motif was a huge swing and a miss. But what's undeniable is that the quality of their gear was good, our on-field apparel was the best it's been in years, it's a recognisable brand, and they have standalone stores where they displayed North Melbourne gear prominently at places like Chadstone. This stuff matters.

Agreed it was high quality gear, I bought a fair bit myself. But also, having stuff in a window in Chaddy matters 0.001 per cent of what winning games does.

You don't need to take a position in opposition to me over everything just because you love a debate.

I agree with you plenty. But you've a bug up your arse about the admin since they moved your seats and you bag them at every opportunity and I'm calling that out here.

But also happy to discuss sports fashion in good faith ... as I said elsewhere, its something I know a lot about.

Kookaburra would be a pretty lousy brand to partner with. We all know it. It reeks of bargain-bin, K-mart level quality type of association.

Its a brand that's instantly identifiable to the largest migrant group in Melbourne, and one where we have a key figure in Ricky Ponting who is also hugely known.

Honestly, what do you think has more chance of getting us new fans - a display at Chaddy or that link?

I don't want my footy club to be thought of in those terms. I want my footy club to reflect premium success at every level, including our apparel.

North's never actually been about that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you've a bug up your arse about the admin since they moved your seats and you bag them at every opportunity and I'm calling that out here.

**** me dead. It really doesn't matter how many times I tell you that this was never the issue, does it? You've just invented a position in your mind, attributed it to me in contradiction of reality, and away you go.

No.
He’s not talking about neutrals, he’s talking about nmfc supporters choosing to to buy based on the brand. I’m one of them. I happen to like Puma gear and bought a new hoodie for the first time in years when they came onboard. FWIW I really like the darker blue too, so feel it looks a little more mature and can be worn on non-match days. I didn’t like the Canterbury stuff because IMO it’s a rugby brand. Kookaburra will likely be the same, not a big name sports brand and definitely not a footy brand. So unless Kookaburra absolutely knock out out of the park, I’ll hold onto my puma hoodie until the next brand comes along.

Guys, the Kookaburra website has the new North Melbourne jumper design on display. It's very traditional and in keeping with Kookaburra's well established design and manufacturing style.

I grabbed a screen shot for you (modelled by Curtis Taylor I think)...

No pinstripes!!!

Screenshot_2024-10-04-16-48-21-71_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Answer the question.

Only people who are buying North stuff now are North supporters.
Somehow my interest in branding and sport has me buying an Essendon hoodie because I like Under Armour! Jesus.

From my observation, fans (especially young ones) are more likely to sport their team's merch if they trust the brand producing it.

I don't want to burn the club down or launch a coup against your friends in the administration. I am just contributing my opinion that I understand why some posters are concerned about the change.

How the **** I ended up here I do not know, but I've learnt my lesson. ****.

The real question we need answered, will Kookaburra need to change their logo to incorporate an oval ball?

The irony of it all, with the increasing trend by clubs to replace the apparel sponsor’s logo with a neckline sponsor (eg the premiers with the Maccas logo), we may not even see the Kooka logo on the jumper itself!

So it's just a thought exercise then? Because the Rooshop sales doesn't move the needle on the club's viability.

The real question we need answered, will Kookaburra need to change their logo to incorporate an oval ball?

The irony of it all, with the increasing trend by clubs to replace the apparel sponsor’s logo with a neckline sponsor (eg the premiers with the Maccas logo), we may not even see the Kooka logo on the jumper itself!

You are getting closer to the point though. Which is that a brand takes up valuable space on the jumper and if they aren't paying jumper sponsorship dollars, then we obviously would need to look elsewhere, regardless of whether some middle-aged men feel upset over not being able to wear the same brands as the kids at the skate park.

You don't need to take a position in opposition to me over everything just because you love a debate. Kookaburra would be a pretty lousy brand to partner with. We all know it. It reeks of bargain-bin, K-mart level quality type of association. I don't want my footy club to be thought of in those terms. I want my footy club to reflect premium success at every level, including our apparel.

You're making huge assumptions here.

There is that.

What type of apparel is aimed at nearly 50 year old men who don't have any friends in real life, so instead have tied their entire identity and sense of self-worth to starting irrelevant arguments and fomenting petty rivalries on an outdated internet forum?

Maybe it's a puffer vest?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Puma - North's new apparel partner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back