Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the argument that Selwood is allowed to cheat more because he is a midfielder.

In a way there is truth to this when you look at the footage above. It’s impressive that he can put in such a consistent “performance” week in- week out. And I like that his “performance” is rubbing off onto some of the other players in the team too. He is the leading man. Top billing
i like the argument that hawthorn consistently hits selwood around the head and apparently its selwood and not hawthorn that are bad sports.

yep its taken you eight years but you guys have finally found an example where he has deliberately lost his feet. It deosnt invalidate all the times he doesnt lose his feet.
Yeah, we finally got lucky. :rolleyes:

Sicily is a victim of tripping
how effing ridiculous are you hawks supporters. for starters sicily would actually have to trip to be a victim of tripping.

Gees, it used to be Clarksons deliberate strategy to take a player to ground after he disposed of a handball. all selwood was doing is briefly holding the player up who put him on the ground and out of the action.

how effing ridiculous are you hawks supporters. for starters sicily would actually have to trip to be a victim of tripping.

Gees, it used to be Clarksons deliberate strategy to take a player to ground after he disposed of a handball. all selwood was doing is briefly holding the player up who put him on the ground and out of the action.

Sicily deserved a week...but you can't come on here and seriously argue that Joel Selwood is not, in fact a turtle.

This video addresses this rule specifically, look at the McLean instance at 50 seconds in, shrugs and drops and the tackle is nothing special but starts below the shoulder, that is play on.

Of course players are allowed to break a tackle with shrug, but If the tackle is deemed reasonable by the umpires (see video) and the tacklee's actions (shrug and drop) lead to high contact them it is not a free kick and play on should be called. This goes for all players.

http://m.afl.com.au/video/2016-03-17/2017-laws-of-the-game-high-tackles

The thing is, I remember they made it rule of the week back then and enforced it correctly for the next few weeks before it slipped back to the stage where ridiculous frees like Selwood's one on the weekend are being paid.

I'm not overly interested in picking on individual players, as supporters just take it personal. It's up to the AFL to come out and stamp it out (again), and actually stick to it this time and drum it into the umpires heads what is acceptable and what isn't.

Out of interest, have the AFL commented on the couple of farcical ones from the weekend? I bet they haven't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Selwood’s admitted performances surely your explanation must be placed within the context of perfecto football subterfuge ie trip up Sicily and cry foul when innocent Sicily falls down on him. Selwood - leading man with an outstanding performance in a classic whodunnit

Last edited:
dipping the knees is not losing your feet. everytime someone picks the ball off the ground they dip their knees.

In the context of the article (and argument) you cannot take the position that Selwood hasn't admitted that he deliberately bends his knees in order to force high contact. Selwood admits it. It is there in print and unarguable. The article is not about picking the ball up. The article is specifically about what Selwood does when he has the ball and feels contact. The player himself is quoted. It is not up for debate.

He drops to his knees quicker than a common street hooker. And what's more, he has admitted this to the AFL public.

hawthorn supporters: the only people who booed a player for 8 years because he got his jaw broken from a snipe from their own player.

The hypocrisy of hawks supporters is a pyschologists wet dream. they actually make trump supporters delusions look slightly sane.

What are you talking about?

This discussion (as if there is one) is about Selwood and his blatant cheating. Your misdirection is just nonsense.

Oh, and Brent Guerra says hi...if you want to talk about hypocrisy and all. Your mate Selwood is hardly a cleanskin.

Hilarious excuse in this thread that the reason Poppy gets so many high frees is because he is 'short'.

There's a bunch of shorter players currently in the AFL than Poppy. Wonder why none of these players are ranking high in the free stats.....

Hilarious excuse in this thread that the reason Poppy gets so many high frees is because he is 'short'.

There's a bunch of shorter players currently in the AFL than Poppy. Wonder why none of these players are ranking high in the free stats.....

There are exactly 4 players (Neade, Stengle, McDonald-Tipungwuti and Daniel) with an AFL game to their credit who are shorter than Puopolo. Puopolo is 5ft 8in. The AFL's shortest player is Caleb Daniel who is only two inches shorter.

Don't be afraid to do some research before you post your drivel there champ.

If what Selwood was doing his entire career was cheating and against the rules then surely the AFL would have done something about it by now? He's been doing it for 11 years. The AFL have said its fine. Opposition players need to tackle his hips, not his upper arms.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If what Selwood was doing his entire career was cheating and against the rules then surely the AFL would have done something about it by now? He's been doing it for 11 years. The AFL have said its fine. Opposition players need to tackle his hips, not his upper arms.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No they haven't. They've said it should be play on....and penalised for holding the ball if he takes that prior opp to use that action and then doesn't legally dispose of the ball.

It's legal to make the move so in that regard you're correct. It's just incorrect when he gets the free kick as a result.

Flopper_Selwood.jpg

Draw you own conclusion...

giphy.gif

Its absolutely brilliant
If their jumpers were swapped you would be crying HIGH every day of the week.
Like we do in the stands. Like every football supporter does in the stands.
Freeze frame the crap out, fact is he ends up with his arm around his neck which is illegal. Free kick every day of the week.
I don't get the mike drop, if anything JS is mike dropping on you, you know he's going to receive more free kicks for the same thing during the year for exactly the same thing.
I'm worried for you as I think you maybe setting yourself up to get more and more upset as he gets more and more free kicks.
Keep those angles coming though, they're great and I can see a lot of effort has gone into it, well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back