Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are exactly 4 players (Neade, Stengle, McDonald-Tipungwuti and Daniel) with an AFL game to their credit who are shorter than Puopolo. Puopolo is 5ft 8in. The AFL's shortest player is Caleb Daniel who is only two inches shorter.

Don't be afraid to do some research before you post your drivel there champ.

All the players below must have lots of frees a la Puopolo....

5 ft 8 in
Tarir Bayok, Eddie Betts, Shai Bolton, Travis Colyer, Mitch Crowden, Zac Fisher, Stefan Giro, Cory Gregson, Nathan Hrovat, Zac Langdon, Kym Lebois, Dion Prestia, Willie Rioli, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Blair, Ben Jarman, Jack Lonie, Kieran Lovell, Darcy MacPherson, Will Snelling, Lewis Taylor, Hayden Ballantyne, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Brandon Matera, Lachlan Murphy, Paul Puopolo

5 ft 7 in
Charlie Spargo, Brent Daniels, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jake Neade, Tyson Stengle

5 ft 6 in
Caleb Daniel

Given Selwood’s admitted performances surely your explanation must be placed within the context of perfecto football subterfuge ie trip up Sicily and cry foul when innocent Sicily falls down on him. Selwood - leading man with an outstanding performance in a classic whodunnit
The whole incident was initiated because Sicily tackled him (really well actually) and Joel didn't get the free. Wasn't happy so took it out on Sicily and wouldn't let him run to the next contest. Then Sicily did the knee drop.

I love when Hawks fans get upset over Selwood. Luke Hodge reckons he's the bravest bloke he's ever played against but what would Luke Hodge know? Clearly Hawks fans think Hodgey is an idiot - who am I to argue? ;)

Puopolo doesn't do the arm-shrug Selwood does, which is a point of difference. He collapses and tilts sideways which Joel sometimes does but generally Selwood does the "shrug arm over head" movement which either results in a broken tackle or a free.
Where not talking about Selwoods bravery Thats a given where talking about shrugging of arms tactic so theirs no argument here you are a idiot

The premise of this thread is that Joel Selwood is bad. Thats fairly undisputed in this thread from non-Geelong fans. And the argument is that Paul Puopolo is just as bad.

The act is just as bad. It happens less frequently with Paul - but it's still gross. You're right - lots of short people that don't do it. A few short-asses that do. Pupoolo probably gets taken high more often because he's short, but that's different to when he creates the high contact by lifting the arm, which should always be play on/considered prior opp.

The premise of this thread is that Joel Selwood is bad. Thats fairly undisputed in this thread from non-Geelong fans. And the argument is that Paul Puopolo is just as bad.

The act is just as bad. It happens less frequently with Paul - but it's still gross. You're right - lots of short people that don't do it. A few short-asses that do. Pupoolo probably gets taken high more often because he's short, but that's different to when he creates the high contact by lifting the arm, which should always be play on/considered prior opp.

I agree, people just need to cut the 'short' excuse crap.....

In the same boat probably when you consider disposals vs frees...

Where not talking about Selwoods bravery Thats a given where talking about shrugging of arms tactic so theirs no argument here you are a idiot

If it's a given then you could have easily ignored that section of my post and engaged with the second point where I compared and contrasted Puopolo and Selwood's evasive/free-drawing technique. As for the "idiot" claim, it would hurt more coming from someone who didn't commit 8(!) grammatical and spelling errors in a two line post...

No they haven't. They've said it should be play on....and penalised for holding the ball if he takes that prior opp to use that action and then doesn't legally dispose of the ball.

It's legal to make the move so in that regard you're correct. It's just incorrect when he gets the free kick as a result.

A lot of umpires need to be dropped then I guess.

Whose side are you on LP?

:D

If it's a given then you could have easily ignored that section of my post and engaged with the second point where I compared and contrasted Puopolo and Selwood's evasive/free-drawing technique. As for the "idiot" claim, it would hurt more coming from someone who didn't commit 8(!) grammatical and spelling errors in a two line post...
No l read the second part of your post that was on topic the first part which you are still refusing acknowledge was not so which it

...and this hurts how exactly?

Well, you're a Geelong fan so I dont expect you to be completely "human"... but usually when someones club they support is captained by an utter stain of an individual its reason to be upset. Truth = Hurts.

Keep replying and giving this airtime, fine with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should start watching your own players with the same level of scrutiny, you will be surprised.
Just watched a replay of the game. Mate, the outstretched arms pleading to the umps over and over by all the Geelong players around the contest, its legit embarrassing. Watch for yourself, Cats are a great club but it really is a cultural aspect they need to stop ASAP.

Its absolutely brilliant
If their jumpers were swapped you would be crying HIGH every day of the week.
Like we do in the stands. Like every football supporter does in the stands.
Freeze frame the crap out, fact is he ends up with his arm around his neck which is illegal. Free kick every day of the week.
I don't get the mike drop, if anything JS is mike dropping on you, you know he's going to receive more free kicks for the same thing during the year for exactly the same thing.
I'm worried for you as I think you maybe setting yourself up to get more and more upset as he gets more and more free kicks.
Keep those angles coming though, they're great and I can see a lot of effort has gone into it, well done.
He actually tried it on twice in a row with Burton - within the same ten seconds or so. Unbelievable the umps didn’t get him for staging

Well, you're a Geelong fan so I dont expect you to be completely "human"... but usually when someones club they support is captained by an utter stain of an individual its reason to be upset. Truth = Hurts.

Keep replying and giving this airtime, fine with me.

Oh, airtime is somehow a consideration now? Hilarious.

You really have an inflated sense of your own importance, huh?

Just watched a replay of the game. Mate, the outstretched arms pleading to the umps over and over by all the Geelong players around the contest, its legit embarrassing. Watch for yourself, Cats are a great club but it really is a cultural aspect they need to stop ASAP.

There’s something that really riles me about this whole discussion, more than the stupidity of opposition fans that seem to think that cats fans are going to turn on their captain based on the “strength” of Internet forum arguments.

The thing is this: it’s just a Geelong Hawthorn shitfight masquerading as something else. Moralising from Hawks supporters - and its clear that it’s mostly Hawks supporters - about respecting the intent of the rules and “cultural aspects” is so hypocritical as to be laughable.

Rushed behinds in 2008 were a systemic and cynical attempt to use the rules to create an advantage. If you have a problem with what Selwood does and don’t have a problem with that conduct, then there’s no more to say.

The “cultural aspect” of a fanbase that creates hundreds of thousands of words complaining about umpiring in a home and away WIN may also bear consideration, I’d suggest.

Flopper_Selwood.jpg

Draw your own conclusion...

giphy.gif

There’s something that really riles me about this whole discussion, more than the stupidity of opposition fans that seem to think that cats fans are going to turn on their captain based on the “strength” of Internet forum arguments.

The thing is this: it’s just a Geelong Hawthorn shitfight masquerading as something else. Moralising from Hawks supporters - and its clear that it’s mostly Hawks supporters - about respecting the intent of the rules and “cultural aspects” is so hypocritical as to be laughable.

Rushed behinds in 2008 were a systemic and cynical attempt to use the rules to create an advantage. If you have a problem with what Selwood does and don’t have a problem with that conduct, then there’s no more to say.

The “cultural aspect” of a fanbase that creates hundreds of thousands of words complaining about umpiring in a home and away WIN may also bear consideration, I’d suggest.
If you think this is just a Hawthorn Geelong thing you've clearly got your head in the sand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back