Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee that's a groundbreaking revelation... stop paying him the frees he doesn't deserve and it might stop people complaining about it... ya think?
Mind = blown.

Why didn’t anyone else think of that?

I think you'd still find something to complain about.

Do we agree that it's not Joel's problem?
Well stopping the frees won’t end all of the world’s problems, so of course there will still be things to complain about.

Why would I agree that it’s not Joel’s problem? He shoulders (pun intended) half the blame. While it might be up to the umpires to stop calling it, Joel could stop playing for them at any point.

Feels contact, raises arm, falls to ground.

That’s not the action of someone trying to break a tackle, unless he plans on crawling away.

That’s not the action of someone trying to break a tackle, unless he plans on crawling away.

The fact he ends up completely on the ground is so telling here as he certainly wasn't put there by Burton's tackle.

And the best players are usually so good at keeping their feet.

The incessant complaining to the umpires many Geelong players take part in is a horrible look. Players from all clubs do it to a degree but it’s literally every decision with Selwood, Danger and other cats players now.

Reminds me of when Ponting started losing games and crucial moments in Test matches within the last few years of his captaincy and was constantly whining to the umpires. It is so cringeworthy and a terrible look for a leader who kids look up to. It’s also inane, in footy as in cricket, once the decision is made it won’t change.

Selwood may go down and do the shrug, but atleast he bounces up and continues on, the likes of Shuey and others drop like someone cuts their legs off with a machete. Umpires aren't helping by continuing to pay what should always be called the 'SHUEY'

If he didn't go to ground so easily, showed some awareness and didn't raise his arm he had a player bursting into the 50 on the outside, easy disposal.

Sloppy tackle. Was aiming at his shoulders/head before Selwood even knew he was there. Go lower and pin the forearms.

Sloppy tackle. Was aiming at his shoulders/head before Selwood even knew he was there. Go lower and pin the forearms.
Incorrect. He was halfway down his bicep.

The only reason the tackle goes high is because Selwood makes it go there.

burton1.jpeg

Selwood is a cheat but the umpires are incompetent not calling him out on it. Burton should have got the free for holding the ball. I wouldn't bother trying to tackle him, just instruct the players to hip and shoulder him in the head every time he drops like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get low they say. "Tackle lower!" they squeal.

Anyone who has played football knows the aim of a tackle is to pin the arms into the ribs to stop the handball being given.

Well, take a look at how low Burton is when he initiates the tackle....

View attachment 478409

And now look at the immediate response by Selwood, less than a second later. He's shifted his weight, and rolled the shoulder down.

View attachment 478410

And here we have the finished product...

Elbow now level with his ear, to achieve the 'high tackle', and his weight completely shifted.

View attachment 478411

I like how his legs are now at 45 degrees away from the tackler and feet off the ground ....some mysterious force has swept him off his feet as it certainly wasn’t the tackle!

I've got no issue with the knee drop / arm shrug. Not against the rules to do it and quite often he continues to bulldoze on anyway and keeps playing the ball and moving it forward regardless of the whistle.

However if he does it and doesn't then dispose legally he should be conceding the free kick, not receiving them. You simply should never receive a free kick when your own actions initiate the high contact.

These are issues that the umpires should be getting correct though. They aren't Selwood's problem. The reason I struggle to find anything endearing about him, despite his obvious champion playing ability and courage, is that he has the temerity to often then complain to the umpires despite being given such a charmed run by them. Add this to the after the siren sulkiness and poor sportsmanship he has at times shown in losses and he is just a hard bloke to like. The sense of entitlement is staggering.

Fish rots from the head. When your coach carries on in melodramatic fashion over umpiring decisions every week then what do you expect from the playing group?

Isn't the common refrain of Cats supporters that he plays through most of the high contact frees anyway?

Based on that footage, and most other videos, I find it hard to believe he plays through it unless he borrows into the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back