Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for tradition, but yeah this needs to go. The idea of a WA side having to come back for a replay the next week against a Victorian side is just ridiculously unfair and out of touch. Get rid of it.

I like the replay too, even though I did not get a ticket in 2010s replay it is exciting to know, and moreso if an interstate side is playing, that maybe the general public actually have a shot at seeing a grand final live without needing to be a member of the MCC or a member with full benefits at one of the clubs in the decider.
If it were Sydney-West Coast in a replay I reckon half would not make the trip back over, especially given the inflated airfares, and leave alot of tickets free for the rest of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ****? Are you sure it's the AFL? it would rack them in more cash though, that's all they care about in fixture after all. Even if it doesn't happen often.

That's why it won't change. The revenue they generate from a GF replay far outweighs the cost of staging it again.

The extra travel for interstate teams is also overblown. If we are to believe all the talk about how professional the game is, then an extra plane trip after a 6-7 day break should be fine for these professional athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why it won't change. The revenue they generate from a GF replay far outweighs the cost of staging it again.

The extra travel for interstate teams is also overblown. If we are to believe all the talk about how professional the game is, then an extra plane trip after a 6-7 day break should be fine for these professional athletes.

Considering they ain't waiting till the end of the season and if it gets the chop will be implemented this season tells me the AFL are strongly in favour of getting rid of the replay.

And how about the cost for we non-Victorian supporters. I've been extremely fortunate in my time to attend five grand finals to see my team compete. Back in 1996 the costs weren't too prohibitive, but the last couple would have cost $2k a piece, at least. And that's just coming from Sydney. The costs for West Coast supporters would be immense.

For two of those grand finals, I've had a friend fly over for the weekend from Uruguay to see the match. Extending his stay for another week wouldn't have been an option. Imagine the anti-climax if he'd left Melbourne with no result. (He was sneaky enough to choose 2005 and 2012 to fly over for - he gave 2006 and 2014 a miss.)

And I remember speaking to a friend - a Saints supporter living in Sydney - immediately after the drawn 2010 grand final. She was flat as a pancake. She would have rather see the Saints lose on the day than have to do it all over again the following weekend (which I think she did).

In a national competition, especially in a country as large as Australia, it's just plain daft.

If I hadn't lived through the 2010 draw I'd want to keep the replay for the potential novelty factor.

Now I've seen it, enjoyed it and would never wish it on any club again.
Pretty much the only good thing about having the stupid replay in 2010 was Lionel Ritchie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back