Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything evolves, and that tradition is no longer suited to the 21st century. Incredibly unfair to ask an interstate team to back up. Plus it would be a logistical nightmare for the fans if it was an all-interstate Grand Final - which considering half the competition is from interstate, isn't an unlikely scenario.

what-if-we-xwohs1.jpg

That's why it won't change. The revenue they generate from a GF replay far outweighs the cost of staging it again.

The extra travel for interstate teams is also overblown. If we are to believe all the talk about how professional the game is, then an extra plane trip after a 6-7 day break should be fine for these professional athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having to spend an extra 4 hour plane trip as a result will make no difference for the exact same trip? When these players have already crossed the country a shit ton of times.

Can you quantify the level of disadvantage the travelling team has? Or is there this vague notion of disadvantage because one team gets to sleep in their own bed while another has to sleep in a hotel? Or do AFL players take these weirdly physical flights which leave them completely exhausted? Would it be fair if WC played Freo in a GF replay at the G because they had the same amount of travel?

If you know anything about how important routine, support network and facilities are in professional sport then you'd know that travel is absolutely a factor in performance. Not to mention the numerous WA-based players who claim that the physical impact of regular travel resulted in shorter careers. Luckily, most interstate teams deal with this fortnightly imposition pretty well but to claim that there is no impact whatsoever is absurd and, therefore, the GF replay places an unnecessary and unfair handicap on the travelling side.

Even besides the obvious unfairness, it's a completely stupid rule that cheapens what is supposed to be the showpiece day of the league. All year we hear about how winning an AFL premiership is about performing on the big day, then suddenly we decide the big day was actually meaningless and that we're going to have another Big Day.

But of course, if the second big day ends in a draw we'll have extra time, because we've suddenly realised how stupid it is to keep tacking on extra Big Days.

The 2010 GF would have been the big day that was etched into folklore forever if it had finished with a frenetic extra time showdown. Instead a great game was rendered essentially meaningless and we came back the next week for a ho hum replay that I can barely remember.

Last edited:
Having to spend an extra 4 hour plane trip as a result will make no difference for the exact same trip? When these players have already crossed the country a shit ton of times.
Stay in Melbourne then, I'm sure the AFL could fork out for a few hotel rooms for 1 week.

That's why it won't change. The revenue they generate from a GF replay far outweighs the cost of staging it again.

The extra travel for interstate teams is also overblown. If we are to believe all the talk about how professional the game is, then an extra plane trip after a 6-7 day break should be fine for these professional athletes.

Yeah im certain you would just love your team being scheduled at subi two weeks in a row.

Can you quantify the level of disadvantage the travelling team has? Or is there this vague notion of disadvantage because one team gets to sleep in their own bed while another has to sleep in a hotel? Or do AFL players take these weirdly physical flights which leave them completely exhausted? Would it be fair if WC played Freo in a GF replay at the G because they had the same amount of travel?

Actually there is a lot of research on the subject should you chose to look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a state league it's understandable since everyone is nearby.

In the AFL era with teams 2,000+km away it's totally ridiculous, and if it's between a Vic and a non Vic team is totally unfair to make a team travel 2 weeks in a row for the match, let alone make their fans travel again as well.

Last edited:
If the timer reaches zero and it's drawn the TAC cup final just keeps going without the siren being blown until someone scores.

It's actually the perfect solution and elegantly in keeping with the unique "unknown siren time" feature of our game. Sure, word would get around that time was up, but that frission of excitement sweeping around the place would just add to the frenzy.

I was at the 2010 grand final and the replay. No doubt in my mind extra time is the right option for the players on the day, fans and the league.

That said, why couldn't interstate teams stay the entire week in Melbourne? They could easily book hotel rooms for a week and train at any one of the at least 9 Victorian clubs training bases. It's unlikely Melbourne will be in a grand final any time soon, so presuming Victory and/or Storm aren't busy they can use the shared AAMI Park facilities without accessing any intellectual property. It's kind of a moot point but I don't see why teams from QLD or WA would even fly home.

A 5 goal breeze to one end quickly ruins your perfect solution.
Bollocks.

How many games have a consistent strong wind for all four quarters??

Makes just as much sense to keep going until the tie is broken as actually declaring a draw and then having some arbitrary period of extra time decide the premier.

What is there is two 5 min halves, and there is a 5 goal breeze for the first 5 min but then it starts raining!?

I was at the 2010 grand final and the replay. No doubt in my mind extra time is the right option for the players on the day, fans and the league.

That said, why couldn't interstate teams stay the entire week in Melbourne? They could easily book hotel rooms for a week and train at any one of the at least 9 Victorian clubs training bases. It's unlikely Melbourne will be in a grand final any time soon, so presuming Victory and/or Storm aren't busy they can use the shared AAMI Park facilities without accessing any intellectual property. It's kind of a moot point but I don't see why teams from QLD or WA would even fly home.

So team a gets to stay in their own beds - with their own routines, food, partners training facilities etc

Team b doesnt.

Team as fans can pony up for another granny

Team b's are on their way home having spent thousands and thousands

The fact that we could win every game all year - come first and conceivably play a victorian team in a grand final that came eighth at THEIR home ground for the grand final is enough. To then play a replay at their home ground.....

Its not the vfl anymore fellas - you have to let that shit go......

Having lived through two replays, the anticipation just isn't the same. Imagine having two Melbourne Cups, or two Melbourne Tests.

Even as a traditionalist, I'm not too fussed about losing the GF replay.

Bollocks.

How many games have a consistent strong wind for all four quarters??

Makes just as much sense to keep going until the tie is broken as actually declaring a draw and then having some arbitrary period of extra time decide the premier.

What is there is two 5 min halves, and there is a 5 goal breeze for the first 5 min but then it starts raining!?
Particularly at the MCG where it swirls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back