Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why it won't change. The revenue they generate from a GF replay far outweighs the cost of staging it again.

The extra travel for interstate teams is also overblown. If we are to believe all the talk about how professional the game is, then an extra plane trip after a 6-7 day break should be fine for these professional athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not when 1 team has to do it, and the other doesn't.

In a national competition, the draw is sadly too unfair on those interstate sides; and really is an inconvenience....

And how about the cost for we non-Victorian supporters. I've been extremely fortunate in my time to attend five grand finals to see my team compete. Back in 1996 the costs weren't too prohibitive, but the last couple would have cost $2k a piece, at least. And that's just coming from Sydney. The costs for West Coast supporters would be immense.

For two of those grand finals, I've had a friend fly over for the weekend from Uruguay to see the match. Extending his stay for another week wouldn't have been an option. Imagine the anti-climax if he'd left Melbourne with no result. (He was sneaky enough to choose 2005 and 2012 to fly over for - he gave 2006 and 2014 a miss.)

And I remember speaking to a friend - a Saints supporter living in Sydney - immediately after the drawn 2010 grand final. She was flat as a pancake. She would have rather see the Saints lose on the day than have to do it all over again the following weekend (which I think she did).

In a national competition, especially in a country as large as Australia, it's just plain daft.

For every friend that needs to return to Uruguay there are 2 that will still take his place at the replay and that's all the AFL care about. If the biggest revenue day for you is the grand final, why would remove a chance to have two of them in the one year?

Not when 1 team has to do it, and the other doesn't.

In a national competition, the draw is sadly too unfair on those interstate sides; and really is an inconvenience....

Can you quantify the level of disadvantage the travelling team has? Or is there this vague notion of disadvantage because one team gets to sleep in their own bed while another has to sleep in a hotel? Or do AFL players take these weirdly physical flights which leave them completely exhausted? Would it be fair if WC played Freo in a GF replay at the G because they had the same amount of travel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been a total of 154 drawn games since 1897 from 14,804 games. This is just over 1% of games. It was a statistical anomaly that we've had 3 grand finals in the last 68 years or 4.5% of grand finals. We are unlikely to see another one in our lifetimes..... Just let the replay be. Maybe our great great grandkids will get to see one.

Can you quantify the level of disadvantage the travelling team has? Or is there this vague notion of disadvantage because one team gets to sleep in their own bed while another has to sleep in a hotel? Or do AFL players take these weirdly physical flights which leave them completely exhausted? Would it be fair if WC played Freo in a GF replay at the G because they had the same amount of travel?

Think 6 day breaks including travel home, recovery, travel back .. say the Dogs are allocated how many? Guess you see no merit in a team earning home state/ground ... elites don't give up any advantage willingly, never because its equitable ... mine, mine is the clarion call of a 3 year old!!

Footy Show reporting the AFL wants to remove the option of a grand final replay in the event of a draw.

Fair call I say! Decide on the day.
Unfairly targeting Collingwood again....:D;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back