QAFA (A) - 2014 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, you'll do anything to avoid watching the Saints roll the Tiges tomorrow :D
It was either play footy or squash my nuts in a vice. Either way I wasnt watching that game haha

Interesting rumours there boys re mergers. Is not a bad idea imo - sometimes think Qld footy is
flooded with senior football clubs
which obviously dilutes talent
pool, divides resources (both
playing and sponsorship) and does
nothing for the strength of the
overall code. I have often felt that
AFL powers believe the strength
of the code is based around how
MANY clubs are in existence, not
the relative strength of those clubs
and the ability to stay alive. Too
many volunteers put too much
time in to be flogging a dead horse
imo. Nothing wrong with
numerous junior clubs but there is
no reason why a junior club has
to turn into a senior club in due
course if there is already senior
clubs in the region. Create an
affiliation of some sort that gives
the boys who want to, a clear path
to senior footy at whatever
standard. But no, egos get in the
road, some committee blokes
think that the holy grail must be a
senior club and decide this is the
natural transition. Put fwd a
proposal to head office, a guy in
Brisbane says "yeah that looks ok,
another tick in my box for the
development of footy in Qld" and
bingo you have a senior club that
is doing nothing but dividing the
limited numbers in the area
already. There is absolutley
nothign wrong with being an
excellent junior football club imo,
one that creates relationships
with a number of different senior
clubs and pushes their boys in
various ways to these clubs in due
course once they turn 17.
Redcliffe/Caboolture would be a
good mix and utilise the incredible
facility at Burpengary, as would
Logan/Beenleigh i imagine. No
doubt a few others.
Junior pathways...there's more to this gam e than just opening the door for the exceptional few. I see the merit in 1 senior club with 3 or 4 junior/youth feeder clubs, a handful of strong senior clubs.. 1 great comp...on face value seems like a great development plan, 'strong choice' for QLD footy, however what happens to the 44/88 less exceptional players that don't make the grade? Play 3rds or 4ths I suppose or lose interest when they now have to travel a bit to be the 70th picked player. Many kids get keen because they watch their Dad play seniors/win a flag etc regardless of level.
Merging clubs should be an internal decision, not a league objective...I'm sure I've read where u may have mentioned how good the new league (QFA Northern) was great for the coast - with all the local derbies, reigniting long standing rivalries. What happens to that if Maroochy, Noosa, Caloundra & Nambour become 1 senior club with 4 junior feeder clubs?

Junior pathways...there's more to this gam e than just opening the door for the exceptional few. I see the merit in 1 senior club with 3 or 4 junior/youth feeder clubs, a handful of strong senior clubs.. 1 great comp...on face value seems like a great development plan, 'strong choice' for QLD footy, however what happens to the 44/88 less exceptional players that don't make the grade? Play 3rds or 4ths I suppose or lose interest when they now have to travel a bit to be the 70th picked player. Many kids get keen because they watch their Dad play seniors/win a flag etc regardless of level.
Merging clubs should be an internal decision, not a league objective...I'm sure I've read where u may have mentioned how good the new league (QFA Northern) was great for the coast - with all the local derbies, reigniting long standing rivalries. What happens to that if Maroochy, Noosa, Caloundra & Nambour become 1 senior club with 4 junior feeder clubs?
There's also the fact that these are two long standing, established clubs. Logan have played in two of the last three GF's and Beenleigh played in last years. I hope they don't merge on the back of one poor season from both clubs as things can change pretty quickly from one year to the next. I played for a club in Vic who won 2 games for the year and finished 2nd last and then won the flag the next year. No need to be too hasty. Besides, the aflq want more sides by 2020, not less.

Big ups to Beenleigh yesterday. They were hard at it for four quarters and almost pinched it. Was a see-sawing game for most of the day on account of quite a strong breeze, with our boys snagging three goals heading into it in the final quarter to get us home... just. If the Buffs put in that effort next weekend against Logan they will be in good shape to notch up a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's also the fact that these are two long standing, established clubs. Logan have played in two of the last three GF's and Beenleigh played in last years. I hope they don't merge on the back of one poor season from both clubs as things can change pretty quickly from one year to the next. I played for a club in Vic who won 2 games for the year and finished 2nd last and then won the flag the next year. No need to be too hasty. Besides, the aflq want more sides by 2020, not less.
There will be no merger

Interesting rumours there boys re mergers. Is not a bad idea imo - sometimes think Qld footy is flooded with senior football clubs which obviously dilutes talent pool, divides resources (both playing and sponsorship) and does nothing for the strength of the overall code. I have often felt that AFL powers believe the strength of the code is based around how MANY clubs are in existence, not the relative strength of those clubs and the ability to stay alive. Too many volunteers put too much time in to be flogging a dead horse imo. Nothing wrong with numerous junior clubs but there is no reason why a junior club has to turn into a senior club in due course if there is already senior clubs in the region. Create an affiliation of some sort that gives the boys who want to, a clear path to senior footy at whatever standard. But no, egos get in the road, some committee blokes think that the holy grail must be a senior club and decide this is the natural transition. Put fwd a proposal to head office, a guy in Brisbane says "yeah that looks ok, another tick in my box for the development of footy in Qld" and bingo you have a senior club that is doing nothing but dividing the limited numbers in the area already. There is absolutley nothign wrong with being an excellent junior football club imo, one that creates relationships with a number of different senior clubs and pushes their boys in various ways to these clubs in due course once they turn 17. Redcliffe/Caboolture would be a good mix and utilise the incredible facility at Burpengary, as would Logan/Beenleigh i imagine. No doubt a few others.
Totally agree

Just going to put it out there. The old fella who plays for park ridge in the 1's is a grub. Flying elbows and he stomped on my leg when I was down.

Nothing wrong with wearing head gear mate and what ur doing wearing the pink head gear for cancer is fantastic absoulte legend

Cheers KP. Raising money for cancer research is important to me as my uncle is battling Cancer atm. Saw you guys came close to a win. Very unlucky not to get over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) - 2014 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back