QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's all this talk ?? Haven't seen it on here. Surely it's where it belongs. First round :

POOL D
1. Bribie v Pine Rivers (Maroochydore)
2. Redcliffe v Woodsmen (Moreton Bay)
3. Ipswich v GM (Mt Gravatt)
4. Coomera v Bond (Coomera)

Tigers and Swans could easily both lose those games !!

Bribie Island won't get within 10 goals on Pine Rivers.

Who are your tips in the other games of this pool ??

I think they will all go the way of the higher divisions, although Bond are a massive unknown quantity.

Swans easily
Redcliffe by a few goals - will be too fit at this time of year
Moorooka is a high quality affair
Coomera - but could be an upset.

Ideally no. However U13s is the highest junior grade available for kids at PR at the moment. These kids have to go somewhere if they want to keep playing.

Any coach that genuinely cares for the development of their players would encourage them to play at a higher level if they aspire to do so. Why not have that pathway betwen clubs? Of course the club in the lower division has more to lose and has to rely on an element of good faith
Cheers mate, didn't realise they only went up to U13's...pathway is definitely required. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with promoting an individual from my own club to strive to higher divs, and agree totally that relationships between divisions is very important. The only point I was trying to make is that if a side like Sandgate get all the talented young Swans then Pine Rivers essentially may see their club development stifled. I think SMY may have mentioned that Sandgate could send 'list cloggers' to the Swans however do the Hawks still have a 3rd Senior side? If so I would envision many older blokes may prefer to play there.

the concept of Reserves footy is outdated.

Need to get with the program up here in Brisbane and follow the lead of some other codes.

There should be a 1st grade down to 5th grade (or more)

Clubs play in the appropriate grade, and their 2nds also do the same, and if they have more teams - they follow the same formula.

If your 1's are in 1st grade, it doesn't mean your 2's are in 2nd grade.

Need to get with the program up here in Brisbane and follow the lead of some other codes.

Clubs play in the appropriate grade, and their 2nds also do the same, and if they have more teams - they follow the same formula.

Interesting. Which codes use this type of grading structure ?? Teams must change grades every year ???

Might be a good suggestion and I'm fairly slow but I don't follow, by grades do you mean divisions, and by 2's do you mean reserves?

eg.

Souths Rugby Union has a 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade side.

Each of them cooncidentally plays in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade.

However, some clubs are not as strong as others. So for example, Ipswich Rangers 1st Grade side might play in the 2nd grade competition or Pine Rivers Rugby Union first grade side might play in the 4th grade competition.

The stronger clubs have sides in each grade, and their first grade sides all play 1st grade. But when you get down to 5th and 6th grade, some one team clubs play their top side in those comps - while it might be a really really strong club like Wests or UQ who have their 6ths in there.

Not sure that makes as much sense as it should, but it works from what I can see.

Thanks QAFL hahaha but I'm still not fully getting it. In the interest of fairness to your point I'll have a look at other code's structures and see what I can make of it

Thanks QAFL hahaha but I'm still not fully getting it. In the interest of fairness to your point I'll have a look at other code's structures and see what I can make of it

Example, some smaller clubs may only have the one team, and it isn't strong, so that team only plays in 4th grade against South's 4ths.

So the League could have 5 grades (our divisions) And a club like GM could have their 1's play in say 3rd grade against maybe Mayne's 2's and their 2's in 4th grade against Bribie or such? Or am I still wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like a great idea... especially if you were a brisbane team and your 1st grade had to go to Noosa. then your 2nds had to play at Robina on the same day! it works in league because there is a lot of clubs.

Agree with much of that mate but how often do clubs stay or aim to stay in their current division?
Yeah thats true too but as there isn't a promotion relegation system at play in Qld footy and certainly conjecture as to whether bc you are in the QAFA A comp means you are better than the clubs in the B comp - it all stands for nought. Reckon a few sides in both comps would have given Caboolture a run for their money last year!! Just think this is where egos get in the way of good decision making. Some clubs are very well suited to a certain standard of footy for a variety of reasons. Is footy all about trying to be the best in the state? Certainly many club people believe this until it is time to write a grant up and start waxing lyrically about development of young people in the area, great place for the community to come and hang out, etc. Then they go & spend half the $$ on trying to get a gun player who is stoked he only has to train 1-2x/wk and run around in park footy on the wend! Extremely hypocritical. Nothing wrong with a side like GM staying in QAFA (A),winning a few premierships, putting a few $$ in the bank and not aspiring to one day want to play QAFL footy! Same with PR. If a great young footballer comes thru the ranks then be happy to send him over to Aspley or a QAFL club, just hope that the favour is returned. Just be a great supplier of footballers if that is what happens - maybe even have some joint social functions with a neighbouring higher division club. FFS we are only playing local footy, if anyone reckons he is a super star then fairly easy to cut back to size! Too many club people all trying to take from the same miserly bowl. Need more cooperation so all can prosper.

eg.

Souths Rugby Union has a 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade side.

Each of them cooncidentally plays in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade.

However, some clubs are not as strong as others. So for example, Ipswich Rangers 1st Grade side might play in the 2nd grade competition or Pine Rivers Rugby Union first grade side might play in the 4th grade competition.

The stronger clubs have sides in each grade, and their first grade sides all play 1st grade. But when you get down to 5th and 6th grade, some one team clubs play their top side in those comps - while it might be a really really strong club like Wests or UQ who have their 6ths in there.

Not sure that makes as much sense as it should, but it works from what I can see.

Gee whiz QAFL - have you read the shite storm on here when UQ dare be competitive in any grade under their 1sts!! This would create an apocalypse among some guys!!

Very tough on volunteers I would imagine?

Yeah thats true too but as there isn't a promotion relegation system at play in Qld footy and certainly conjecture as to whether bc you are in the QAFA A comp means you are better than the clubs in the B comp - it all stands for nought. Reckon a few sides in both comps would have given Caboolture a run for their money last year!! Just think this is where egos get in the way of good decision making. Some clubs are very well suited to a certain standard of footy for a variety of reasons. Is footy all about trying to be the best in the state? Certainly many club people believe this until it is time to write a grant up and start waxing lyrically about development of young people in the area, great place for the community to come and hang out, etc. Then they go & spend half the $$ on trying to get a gun player who is stoked he only has to train 1-2x/wk and run around in park footy on the wend! Extremely hypocritical. Nothing wrong with a side like GM staying in QAFA (A),winning a few premierships, putting a few $$ in the bank and not aspiring to one day want to play QAFL footy! Same with PR. If a great young footballer comes thru the ranks then be happy to send him over to Aspley or a QAFL club, just hope that the favour is returned. Just be a great supplier of footballers if that is what happens - maybe even have some joint social functions with a neighbouring higher division club. FFS we are only playing local footy, if anyone reckons he is a super star then fairly easy to cut back to size! Too many club people all trying to take from the same miserly bowl. Need more cooperation so all can prosper.
Not having a shot here but it seems that many of your posts are very negative towards committees, decision makers & paid players. Any reasons? The clubs, coaches and even committee men I've dealt with over my 20 year involvement in Senior footy have never stopped, tried to stop or offered money to keep talented young footballers on their books. Hell, in the past some of us even approached clubs in higher divisions on behalf of the young blokes to get the ball rolling. In Vic paid players were commonplace and from what I know there have only been 3 years that my old club ever paid players and that was always a coach bringing his mates across.
Clubs will nearly always strive to improve and yes even have aspirations of climbing divisions as then they may be able to provide their own pathways for the juniors they've produced. Also with constant improvement comes the opportunity to attract more players, meaning more memberships, bar sales, apparel sales etc.

1 game mate was the swans reserves against a close to full strength sandgate senior team , went down by 105 points , only 4 swans senior players actually played
Definitely not full strength Sandgate side... Still missing at least 6 key positional players. As for Pine rivers, noticed they played there 'new' recruits but as a whole lacking alot of direction.

Not having a shot here but it seems that many of your posts are very negative towards committees, decision makers & paid players. Any reasons? The clubs, coaches and even committee men I've dealt with over my 20 year involvement in Senior footy have never stopped, tried to stop or offered money to keep talented young footballers on their books. Hell, in the past some of us even approached clubs in higher divisions on behalf of the young blokes to get the ball rolling. In Vic paid players were commonplace and from what I know there have only been 3 years that my old club ever paid players and that was always a coach bringing his mates across.
Clubs will nearly always strive to improve and yes even have aspirations of climbing divisions as then they may be able to provide their own pathways for the juniors they've produced. Also with constant improvement comes the opportunity to attract more players, meaning more memberships, bar sales, apparel sales etc.

No, not at all Footy 1st - there are many very very good committee / admin people in AFL footy from the top here in Qld right down. At my own club I have seen and continue to see, fantastic people who spend a whole lot of time, effort and sacrifice to ensure a footy side gets on the paddock. But this is the 2 edged sword isn't it??? You then have certain blokes who roll on in, demand $$ that are not on offer anywhere else in sport in Aust let alone a footy backwater (comparatively) like Qld. Why? Bc this is how it is done in Vic and other places south of the Murray. It distorts and brings down the whole code bc you then have certain administrators who fashionably like to wax on about how "footy is a business" yet they never ever would dare to do a cost analysis on what a player payment budget of say $60K does to their bottom line. In their own businesses if spending $60K meant we reaped $60K then it would be laughed out the door. So emotion gets in the way of better judgement - the line of thinking is "I want to be involved with a successful footy club of which I have no real responsibility to financially so happy to spend the $$ knowing I will never have to personally repay them". Some coaches are pathetic here too - get appointed then demand that the purse strings are released - when it all goes to shite they piss off. Or alternatively claim how good they are when in reality they have bought a premiership.
My idea of a successful footy club does include premierships but more importantly it includes sustainability - a feature that is made bloody hard by the stupidity of administrators who pay blokes ridiculous sums of money to train 2x/wk and run around in park footy. All with no one paying to watch them play!! At least in Vic the admin can say the punter must part with $7-10 to come in and watch and a revenue is generated. Too many good clubs go broke bc of crap decision makers who are not accountable. This is what ires me most. Pay what you can afford if indeed you want to pay anything - but stay in business.

No, not at all Footy 1st - there are many very very good committee / admin people in AFL footy from the top here in Qld right down. At my own club I have seen and continue to see, fantastic people who spend a whole lot of time, effort and sacrifice to ensure a footy side gets on the paddock. But this is the 2 edged sword isn't it??? You then have certain blokes who roll on in, demand $$ that are not on offer anywhere else in sport in Aust let alone a footy backwater (comparatively) like Qld. Why? Bc this is how it is done in Vic and other places south of the Murray. It distorts and brings down the whole code bc you then have certain administrators who fashionably like to wax on about how "footy is a business" yet they never ever would dare to do a cost analysis on what a player payment budget of say $60K does to their bottom line. In their own businesses if spending $60K meant we reaped $60K then it would be laughed out the door. So emotion gets in the way of better judgement - the line of thinking is "I want to be involved with a successful footy club of which I have no real responsibility to financially so happy to spend the $$ knowing I will never have to personally repay them". Some coaches are pathetic here too - get appointed then demand that the purse strings are released - when it all goes to shite they piss off. Or alternatively claim how good they are when in reality they have bought a premiership.
My idea of a successful footy club does include premierships but more importantly it includes sustainability - a feature that is made bloody hard by the stupidity of administrators who pay blokes ridiculous sums of money to train 2x/wk and run around in park footy. All with no one paying to watch them play!! At least in Vic the admin can say the punter must part with $7-10 to come in and watch and a revenue is generated. Too many good clubs go broke bc of crap decision makers who are not accountable. This is what ires me most. Pay what you can afford if indeed you want to pay anything - but stay in business.

You make some very good points SMY. Having seen what I have seen in this league, and a "footy backwater" is a very good description, the player payments left me quite astonished. No accountability, and attempting to "buy" premierships as you point out is exactly what occurs.

So no ones business obviously but judging from this thread there are some clubs that pay players i'll list them off and correct me if i'm wrong

Pine rivers - No
Griffith Moorooka - Yes (wouldn't say it would be huge but enough to change the personnel from cellar dwellers to premiers)
Bond - Unsure
SE Suns - Yes?
Redcliffe - No
Beenleigh - i would hope not
Wynnum - No
Park Ridge - Some players
Carrara - 2015 maybe
Victoria Point - Not at this level

Wouldnt say there are many clubs in this comp buying premierships

So no ones business obviously but judging from this thread there are some clubs that pay players i'll list them off and correct me if i'm wrong

Pine rivers - No
Griffith Moorooka - Yes (wouldn't say it would be huge but enough to change the personnel from cellar dwellers to premiers)
Bond - Unsure
SE Suns - Yes?
Redcliffe - No
Beenleigh - i would hope not
Wynnum - No
Park Ridge - Some players
Carrara - 2015 maybe
Victoria Point - Not at this level

Wouldnt say there are many clubs in this comp buying premierships

It was common knowledge that Beenleigh had quite the payroll in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back