QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as i got pinged in this thread by the mystery man, i may as well comment as the Woodsmen President.

No, we weren't dragged kicking and screaming into the comp. I got a call asking if we were interested and my response was yes.

We were to play Coomera at 10am at Mt Gravatt on the draft draw. Based on that, we agreed to participate. Especially as we are affiliated with the Magpies and they were playing the Vultures that day. There is actually a large Western Districts reunion on at Wests commencing at 6pm that many are attending.

We were then moved to Burpengary at 430, which is significantly different to Mt Gravatt at 10am just 10 minutes down the road. Especially as our playing group is made up of old blokes with families etc.

I requested a change and was knocked back. I indicated we would now struggle for numbers as a result of the time and location change but it was fairly clear that pulling out wouldn't be a good idea. So here we are.

I personally can't play due to the change and I'm certainly not the only bloke in that boat.

We were confident of getting 20-22 blokes together for a 10am game down the road. Now we will be heading up the highway with ~18 for a 430 start.

I don't endorse QAFLs comments, and i was happy to cop it, as in hindsight we shouldn't have agreed to play - but the goalposts did move a bit, and we're not as flexible as perhaps we should be. Me included.
Well that certainly does shed a bit of a different light on it, so I'll stand corrected. Maybe AFLQ could have handled this a fair bit better.

Seeing as i got pinged in this thread by the mystery man, i may as well comment as the Woodsmen President.

No, we weren't dragged kicking and screaming into the comp. I got a call asking if we were interested and my response was yes.

We were to play Coomera at 10am at Mt Gravatt on the draft draw. Based on that, we agreed to participate. Especially as we are affiliated with the Magpies and they were playing the Vultures that day. There is actually a large Western Districts reunion on at Wests commencing at 6pm that many are attending.

We were then moved to Burpengary at 430, which is significantly different to Mt Gravatt at 10am just 10 minutes down the road. Especially as our playing group is made up of old blokes with families etc.

I requested a change and was knocked back. I indicated we would now struggle for numbers as a result of the time and location change but it was fairly clear that pulling out wouldn't be a good idea. So here we are.

I personally can't play due to the change and I'm certainly not the only bloke in that boat.

We were confident of getting 20-22 blokes together for a 10am game down the road. Now we will be heading up the highway with ~18 for a 430 start.

I don't endorse QAFLs comments, and i was happy to cop it, as in hindsight we shouldn't have agreed to play - but the goalposts did move a bit, and we're not as flexible as perhaps we should be. Me included.

Maybe ring around a few clubs up that way, I'm sure there are players not playing that weekend that might like a hit out?

Great honest post Thommo. Maybe give the Tigers a call they may have a few extra guys wanting a run

Hahaha, was just trying to point out in humorous fashion that Swampy was getting his troll on !! And getting a photo of QAFL fan, now that would be a feat. Seems quite elusive, and could possibly be the Phantom !!
How did I miss all this, must be my slow internet connection up here in noosa, doing tough hey. ;-)

How did I miss all this, must be my slow internet connection up here in noosa, doing tough hey. ;-)

Obviously !!

photo40231.jpg

find the talk about players getting paid interesting at all levels - sure there are some mercenaries around at all levels - and there will always be the argument that mateship trumps cash to a degree - but if someone offered you serious cash to do something you would do for free anyway and a chance of a successful team most would seriously consider it.

cant help but think that some of the angst towards this comes from blokes who weren't / aren't the ones being offered the coin.

I can be contacted via PM to discuss above serious coin - have car and will travel if you agree to fill it up - all QLD considered haha

Yeah not so sure about that BOC - think you need to talk to many involved at the 3rd tier in Vic to realise just how stupid many, many players are with their demands - come out of TAC and believe starting point s $400/game. Now although I played 30 years and of those was paid coin in probably 20 of those years i would like to think I didn't move from club to club, year to year chasing a $. I know there are many guys just like this too. Its just incredibly sad imo that there are 1. blokes who feel prostituting themselves around is their contribution to footy clubs that survive on the toil of volunteers, it's not AFL footy, its not a career, its not "a business" (wank term at this level). Its a game of sport. Would blokes go to the same lengths playing indoor cricket?? and
2. there are club administrators stupid enough to get coerced into parting with this cash that they will never reap a return from in the majority of cases here in Qld anyway.

FFS we had a guy who isn't playing this year, say to one of our coaches the other week when he bumped into him "well i never play at a footy club if they don't have the courtesy to ring me up in the off season and ask me to come back down". Really?? Is this what it has come to? The club owes the player???

BTW - surfers colts in 2014 was made up of predominantly southport boys (the best southport + the best surfers boys) whilst southports team was the rest of the boys who didn't make the A team. Worked quite well but surfers haven't had a colts team in their own right for a while. In 2013 they dropped out mid year bc they were forfeiting all the time.

Last edited:
At Colts level the biggest key is to find an appropriate coach I reckon - the boys are very transient, much more independent so not inclined at all to take mum or dads word that he is a "good bloke" and in the main don't want someone who is treating colts footy like a mini TAC side. Hard to get that right but notice Ipswich have a side in the Colts this year but not many others not playing either QAFL or QFA sth / nth.

agree SMY on your post about colts coach - best underage coach I personally had at club level was a current senior player - appreciate it took a lot of time out of his life - but was a great example of someone we respected because he was a current senior player. that said chris Fagan at state level was an absolute freak - combination of footy brains and background as a teacher - think this is why the blokes like him and Brendan Bolton have been so successful at AFL level - no coincidence they are both now at the reigning back to back premiers.

Disagree on player payments to an extent - don't take this personally mate but I think we all need to do away with the "back in vic they do this" mentality - just doesn't work in QLD. like Australia trying to implement political policy because its what America does.

The majority of Regional clubs in QLD be in div 1-3 want to win the premiership. they focus on what that's going to take in that given year. its short sighted and it will backfire in 99% of the time and as much as we all know sacrificing long term for short term gains isn't going to work - most clubs do it year after year. We could debate this till the cows come home (an hour earlier thanks to no daylight saving) but unless ur getting coin from AFLQ for development purposes, most clubs will spend sponsorship / bar take on club running costs and player payments - whether over or under the table!

How good is it that footy' back, got my day all planned Suns v Sharks U19's at 10, off to MtGravatt to see Ippy V Roosters at 12, prob be late for that one, Vic Point V Wynnum at 4pm at Wynnum, get to see half the comp in eight hours

agree SMY on your post about colts coach - best underage coach I personally had at club level was a current senior player - appreciate it took a lot of time out of his life - but was a great example of someone we respected because he was a current senior player. that said chris Fagan at state level was an absolute freak - combination of footy brains and background as a teacher - think this is why the blokes like him and Brendan Bolton have been so successful at AFL level - no coincidence they are both now at the reigning back to back premiers.

Disagree on player payments to an extent - don't take this personally mate but I think we all need to do away with the "back in vic they do this" mentality - just doesn't work in QLD. like Australia trying to implement political policy because its what America does.

The majority of Regional clubs in QLD be in div 1-3 want to win the premiership. they focus on what that's going to take in that given year. its short sighted and it will backfire in 99% of the time and as much as we all know sacrificing long term for short term gains isn't going to work - most clubs do it year after year. We could debate this till the cows come home (an hour earlier thanks to no daylight saving) but unless ur getting coin from AFLQ for development purposes, most clubs will spend sponsorship / bar take on club running costs and player payments - whether over or under the table!

Agree BOC - which is why I think qld clubs should not follow the Vic model of spending the farm. Suppose each individual club has to work out what they stand for. A premiership winning club isn't necessarily better than one who has been in existence for 100 years. Just ask the combination of Nth Brisbane clubs that went broke year after year in the late 90's...

You are right though - could debate it and its not a bad debate mind you but all i would argue is spend what you can afford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about vicky pt. but an undermanned wynnum by 7 goals in a scrappy affair.

Good luck to the lads this year, good have one last game with some good mates.

So Ipswich by a few goals over GM. Interesting if both teams full strength. Looks like they will play Bond after a big win over Coomera.

Swans a big win over Bribie. How did the Tigers fair?

Tigers beat Woodsmen by 20 points. Pretty good game, bit scrappy. Tigers clearly a lot fitter than the Woodsmen side and had a lot more run towards the end of the game. Woodsmen did jump them at the start, but didnt capitalise after dominating the first quarter. Tigers run and spread forward left Woodsmen seriously outnumbered and out of position. I reckon both sides would have enjoyed that hit out.

Beware the Eagles

Mmm wouldn't say beware the eagles when it was just a practice match against from what looked like an under-strength Moorooka side going by the AFLQ website. If anyone is predicting how good each side this year is going to go by practice matches has rocks in their head. Only have to look back when Carlton won the NAB Cup and finished dead last in the home and away season.

Mmm wouldn't say beware the eagles when it was just a practice match against from what looked like an under-strength Moorooka side going by the AFLQ website. If anyone is predicting how good each side this year is going to go by practice matches has rocks in their head. Only have to look back when Carlton won the NAB Cup and finished dead last in the home and away season.
Mmmmmm going on practice match form, more going on the fact the Eagles made finals last year, have picked up Hooper as playing coach and recruited the best ruckman in the comp, have good numbers through pre season and wil play with good organization and system. Surely will improve on last season. Anyone who can't see that does have rocks in there head. Interesting to note Moorooka fielded seniors and reserves so if they were under strength they must have massive numbers. Was it even called the NAB Cup 10 years ago whe Carlton won it.

Last edited:
Tigers beat Woodsmen by 20 points. Pretty good game, bit scrappy. Tigers clearly a lot fitter than the Woodsmen side and had a lot more run towards the end of the game. Woodsmen did jump them at the start, but didnt capitalise after dominating the first quarter. Tigers run and spread forward left Woodsmen seriously outnumbered and out of position. I reckon both sides would have enjoyed that hit out.
Did Spades play?

A bit scrappy mate it was a lot scrappy. Woodies didn't capalise on thier forward entries at all. They looked a bit underdone in the third but come home strong. Tigers skill and decision making a bit down I'd say. Good effort from woodies as they haven't been training since January like tigers. I think tigers underestimated thier opponents.

Did woodies have Dobson, baker, Mika, jroz, toohey and mihalopoulas?

Did woodies have Dobson, baker, Mika, jroz, toohey and mihalopoulas?
Probably need QAFL_Fan to chime in on that one, if he was there. He knows all the players. I don't. I can tell u that the Redcliffe fans sitting in the licensed area were seriously out of form !! Plenty of sledges flying across the fence, but contained zero wit or humour. They definitely need to sharpen up come the start of the season !!

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back