QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Broady were the only challenger to Aspley I believe. Although I’m hoping grange can go all the way now. Some impressive youngsters I saw stand up today in a big game. Good to see.

Cats would be gutted with that. Another season of promise ended with a bad loss
That young Richardson so impressive.Beama has done a terrific job!
Aspley for mine though!

Broady were the only challenger to Aspley I believe. Although I’m hoping grange can go all the way now. Some impressive youngsters I saw stand up today in a big game. Good to see.

Cats would be gutted with that. Another season of promise ended with a bad loss
Dezario.. yes very disapointing as I said .
Just cant get my head around the difference between our best game days and our bad game days ...like its so far apart its not funny..

Just cant get my head around the difference between our best game days and our bad game days ...like its so far apart its not funny..
Anyway ,, thats how it is,, at least our Reserve grade has advanced to the Grand Final and our colts play you guys next week in the prelim

Congratulations to Wilston Grange on winning through to another week. When you're still in the running, anything can happen!

So, three Brisbane-based clubs claim the top three places for the season. When was the last time that happened?
We could build suspense, and wait for guesses (educated or otherwise) - but let's just get to the answer:

The last time it happened was in 2003: Morningside were Premiers, Mt Gravatt made the Grand Final, and Brisbane Lions reached the Preliminary Final.
However, that felt a little unbalanced to me: an AFL-affiliated organisation up against local clubs. So, taking it a little further back, the last time three "Brisbane-based local clubs" held the top three positions at the end of a season was 1996: West Brisbane were Premiers, Mt Gravatt made the Grand Final, and Morningside reached the Preliminary Final. For the record, Southport finished the Home & Away season in third spot, but were eliminated in the first week of finals by Morningside.
1996 was not the greatest year for the QAFL on many fronts (not going to go into all of them right here, right now). On the field, there were only six clubs competing - and Southport was the only non-Brisbane one amongst them. The next season saw the establishment of the QSFL, the introduction of Broadbeach, Northern Eagles, & Labrador, and the demise of the Kedron Grange merger (at least at Senior level). Incredibly, Mayne continued to persevere, even with the loss of the lease to Keith Beavis Oval at the end of 1997.

had the list to win 3-4 flags since 2019, to only end up with 1 is a gross underachievement, though one other clubs would be happy with!

Certainly lost the 2020 GF in the coaches box, perhaps a change might allow them to take the next step

had the list to win 3-4 flags since 2019, to only end up with 1 is a gross underachievement, though one other clubs would be happy with!

Certainly lost the 2020 GF in the coaches box, perhaps a change might allow them to take the next step
With Aspley & Redland coming from higher comps 3 or 4 never going to happen. Easy from the cheap seats to be critical but it’s a very competitive comp and it’s a great effort by the cats to have been up there in contention for a long time and the senior coach has been a huge part or that.

Disappointing result Saturday but well done to WG they kept coming and unpredictable results is what keeps footy interesting

aspleys flogging of RVP just shows how dumb the points system is currently
No doubt about that ,,, so if the QAFL changed Aspleys points what happens to the current players , likr
With Aspley & Redland coming from higher comps 3 or 4 never going to happen. Easy from the cheap seats to be critical but it’s a very competitive comp and it’s a great effort by the cats to have been up there in contention for a long time and the senior coach has been a huge part or that.

Disappointing result Saturday but well done to WG they kept coming and unpredictable results is what keeps footy interesting
2010 Premier,
absolutely,,, a great effort in all grades over the past 5 years ,,The club is super strong with a great culture .
We all acknowledge how difficult it is to make finals let alone the grand final , and to be in this category for 5 years now is a hell of an effort.
Head coach OBrien has played a huge part and deserves massive recognition .

Aspley only had 41/50 points on the weekend. Can’t be that much of an issue? Or we talking more so that certain players should be allocated higher points?

think more the issue is there are alot of 1 pointers running around for them by virtue of discounts given from NEAFL/VFL service.

Particularly frustrating if some of those blokes are juniors of other clubs and playing as a 1 pointer against them, as all things being equal its likely they never would have been there if they weren't previously in a higher level of competition. Wolbers just as one example, I think is a Morningside junior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

think more the issue is there are alot of 1 pointers running around for them by virtue of discounts given from NEAFL/VFL service.

Particularly frustrating if some of those blokes are juniors of other clubs and playing as a 1 pointer against them, as all things being equal its likely they never would have been there if they weren't previously in a higher level of competition. Wolbers just as one example, I think is a Morningside junior.

Wolbers is actually a Broadbeach junior (moved to Brisbane for uni) but no doubt Aspley and Redland are benefiting from having been in a higher comp recently but those advantages will dissipate quickly as lists turnover

Yeah the fact that liam dawson and other elite neafl players can cost less than a kid that has moved to pursue a club with a better development program is ridiculous. Its alright though, Aspley's juniors and colts have dropped off in the past few years so their seniors will fall off sooner or later.

Mass movement of 8-10 players in one go, when an academy coach is involved can be outlawed/stopped or at least investigated.

Totally agree a couple of kids moving here and there will never be stopped. Often its not the clubs doing the wrong thing either and not even the coaches in many cases. Kids getting together a school or in a regional team or whatever.

The most active recruiters are usually kids themselves, or parents sitting on the sidelines at a representative carnival - this will never stop and is impossible to police.

Being involved at Sandgate, it was disappointing to lose that group for sure. Last year our Div 1 side beat Aspley, so was funny they all decided to go for the “pathways” as 14/15 year olds. Sandgate ended up winning the flag in Div 2 U15’s this year, so we just got on with it. The kids who left won a flag as well so good on them, can’t wait to see them all playing AFL one day now they are U15 Div 1 premiership players. That’s how it works, pathways…

Being involved at Sandgate, it was disappointing to lose that group for sure. Last year our Div 1 side beat Aspley, so was funny they all decided to go for the “pathways” as 14/15 year olds. Sandgate ended up winning the flag in Div 2 U15’s this year, so we just got on with it. The kids who left won a flag as well so good on them, can’t wait to see them all playing AFL one day now they are U15 Div 1 premiership players. That’s how it works, pathways…
Yea a very over used word. Does have relevance in some aspects but for many they just don't get it.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Wilston Grange has done it again. They’re through to a Preliminary Final – and well, anything could happen from here.
But until then, here is what has happened up until now:

Preliminary Final
Redland V Wilston Grange

Played 3: Redland 3 wins – Wilston Grange 0
Yawn! Is that it?
This is bordering on being remarkable in itself - two clubs that have both been around for such a long time, had never met at this level until 2021. With the Sharks moving into the AFLQ in 2000, these two clubs “avoided” each other for two decades. Over the past three seasons (with one clash per season so far), Redland has won each game comfortably – and occasionally, comprehensively. Perhaps that is not too surprising, given Redland had previously been involved at the NEAFL level. With not much to talk about, let’s include the overall scoreline: Redland 49-53-347 to Wilston Grange 22-22-154.
But because you are all such an inquisitive bunch, I can tell that you’re thinking: Surely that’s not it? There must be more to the story!
Well, you’re right again!
The two clubs previously met for two seasons in the BAFL, 1998 and 1999. They got to play each other 5 times at the height of the Sharks’ SQAFA/BAFL era. Unfortunately for the Gorillas, this also meant that of those five encounters, Redland won each time. There were some close games, particularly in 1999 – but there was also a heavily one-sided Grand Final in 1998 when the Sharks won by 19 goals (27-14-176 to 9-8-62).
So, unless anyone wants to dispute it, I will suggest that Wilston Grange has never defeated Redland in a Senior Premiership fixture. They have met eight times in total across different levels – and each victory has gone back to the Bay.
Yet, all of that means nothing now. For what it’s worth, I will tip Redland at Home in this game – but I’ve been wrong twice already in this Finals Series.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, please let me know - I'm cool to be corrected. If you have any SQAFA/BAFL, GCAFL, or SCAFL results to share, please get in touch.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back