QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to Broadbeachs K. Boayke on winning the Grogan Medal...He was outstanding and consistently ...must mention big Riley Bowman only played about 11 0r 12 games ,,, so if he had played the 18 he would of shit it in

Well done to Broadbeachs K. Boayke on winning the Grogan Medal...He was outstanding and consistently ...must mention big Riley Bowman only played about 11 0r 12 games ,,, so if he had played the 18 he would of s**t it in

Didn’t Southport pull him out a couple of times when they weren’t even playing?

Incredible to lose Bowman, and then replace him with a kid who was almost just as effective! Dawson is an absolute gun.

Great to see Joel Leahy acknowledged with Team of Year selection, he flies under the radar a bit but is a seriously good player.

Dawson picked up the Rising Star last night. Hard to believe this kid has only played 10 senior games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Apparently, there is a Grand Final this week….:

Grand Final
Aspley V Redland

Played 24: Aspley 13 – Redland 11
A great deal of this post could simply be a re-hash of what was shared two weeks ago:
  • At QAFL/NEAFL level, the Hornets and the Sharks have played each other 24 times, with a slightly better record achieved by Aspley.
  • As best as I can tell at this stage, the two clubs probably met on 29 occasions in SQAFA/BAFL, with Aspley successful 20 times compared to Redland’s 9 victories.
  • Going way back, the two clubs even met in a SQAFA Third Division Grand Final in 1974, which once again favoured Aspley, this time by a margin of four points.

Let’s see if we can come up with something different for this week’s clash:
* The two clubs have met in five previous finals (not counting the SQAFA 1974 Third Division series when they met twice):
2023 QAFL Semi-Final - Aspley won by 56 points (at Aspley)
2022 QAFL Preliminary Final – Aspley won by 13 points (at Aspley)
2014 NEAFL Elimination Final – Aspley won by 23 points (at Aspley)
1997 BAFL Preliminary Final – Aspley won by 32 points (at Yeronga)
1992 BAFL Qualifying Final – Aspley won by 34 points (at Aspley)
  • In the QAFL/NEAFL era, I could only find one game played at a neutral venue: Redland was successful by 17 points when the NEAFL Round 19 game was played at Yeronga.
  • One I like checking: the overall score between the two clubs across 24 games (QAFL/NEAFL only) stands as:
Aspley 307 – 254 – 2096 V Redland 287 – 252 – 1974
If the Sharks can win by 122 points, it will be all tied up.

What about Grand Finals? Anything worth sharing there?
  • 24 Grand Finals have been decided by single-digit margins (< 10 points). The most recent was 2020 when Morningside defeated Broadbeach by 2 points at Yeronga. The first was in 1911 when South Brisbane defeated Wynnum by 2 points at the Exhibition Ground.
  • No Grand Final has been decided by over 100 points. However, both 2011 (NEAFL, Northern Territory defeated Morningside by 98 points) and 1997 (QSFL, Southport defeated Mt Gravatt by 94 points) came close.
  • There has never been a drawn Grand Final in the QAFL. Feel free to help me out here – but the only one I can think of immediately is the BAFL 1999 Division 1 Grand Final when Redland (in an undefeated season) snatched a last-minute draw with Noosa, 7–12–54 to 8–6–54. The Sharks went on the next week to win the premiership with a comfortable victory.
* This is the first "SQAFA Origin" Grand Final in QAFL etc history.
* The game this weekend will be the 11th time Giffin Park has hosted the “top level” Grand Final, including QSFL, AFLQ, SEQAFL, and QAFL deciders. The ground has obviously hosted numerous other Grand Finals for different levels of competitions too.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, please let me know - corrections mean greater accuracy. If you have any SQAFA/BAFL, GCAFL, or SCAFL results to share (even old copies of Hi-Flyer), please get in touch.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Apparently, there is a Grand Final this week….:

Grand Final
Aspley V Redland

Played 24: Aspley 13 – Redland 11
A great deal of this post could simply be a re-hash of what was shared two weeks ago:
  • At QAFL/NEAFL level, the Hornets and the Sharks have played each other 24 times, with a slightly better record achieved by Aspley.
  • As best as I can tell at this stage, the two clubs probably met on 29 occasions in SQAFA/BAFL, with Aspley successful 20 times compared to Redland’s 9 victories.
  • Going way back, the two clubs even met in a SQAFA Third Division Grand Final in 1974, which once again favoured Aspley, this time by a margin of four points.

Let’s see if we can come up with something different for this week’s clash:
* The two clubs have met in five previous finals (not counting the SQAFA 1974 Third Division series when they met twice):
2023 QAFL Semi-Final - Aspley won by 56 points (at Aspley)
2022 QAFL Preliminary Final – Aspley won by 13 points (at Aspley)
2014 NEAFL Elimination Final – Aspley won by 23 points (at Aspley)
1997 BAFL Preliminary Final – Aspley won by 32 points (at Yeronga)
1992 BAFL Qualifying Final – Aspley won by 34 points (at Aspley)
  • In the QAFL/NEAFL era, I could only find one game played at a neutral venue: Redland was successful by 17 points when the NEAFL Round 19 game was played at Yeronga.
  • One I like checking: the overall score between the two clubs across 24 games (QAFL/NEAFL only) stands as:
Aspley 307 – 254 – 2096 V Redland 287 – 252 – 1974
If the Sharks can win by 122 points, it will be all tied up.

What about Grand Finals? Anything worth sharing there?
  • 24 Grand Finals have been decided by single-digit margins (< 10 points). The most recent was 2020 when Morningside defeated Broadbeach by 2 points at Yeronga. The first was in 1911 when South Brisbane defeated Wynnum by 2 points at the Exhibition Ground.
  • No Grand Final has been decided by over 100 points. However, both 2011 (NEAFL, Northern Territory defeated Morningside by 98 points) and 1997 (QSFL, Southport defeated Mt Gravatt by 94 points) came close.
  • There has never been a drawn Grand Final in the QAFL. Feel free to help me out here – but the only one I can think of immediately is the BAFL 1999 Division 1 Grand Final when Redland (in an undefeated season) snatched a last-minute draw with Noosa, 7–12–54 to 8–6–54. The Sharks went on the next week to win the premiership with a comfortable victory.
* This is the first "SQAFA Origin" Grand Final in QAFL etc history.
* The game this weekend will be the 11th time Giffin Park has hosted the “top level” Grand Final, including QSFL, AFLQ, SEQAFL, and QAFL deciders. The ground has obviously hosted numerous other Grand Finals for different levels of competitions too.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, please let me know - corrections mean greater accuracy. If you have any SQAFA/BAFL, GCAFL, or SCAFL results to share (even old copies of Hi-Flyer), please get in touch.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:
Legendary mate, thoroughly enjoyed these posts hopefully a few more next year

What is everyone’s predictions for Saturday?

Mine is Aspley winning by 10. I think Redlands will bring their absolute best. They’ll be leading for most of the game I reckon, but late in the third term I say Aspley take the lead. The last quarter will be very close but I think Aspley still win by 2 goals. Going back to back would be amazing, carn the Hornets!

What is everyone’s predictions for Saturday?

Mine is Aspley winning by 10. I think Redlands will bring their absolute best. They’ll be leading for most of the game I reckon, but late in the third term I say Aspley take the lead. The last quarter will be very close but I think Aspley still win by 2 goals. Going back to back would be amazing, carn the Hornets!
Up It Stumpy ,
your Aspley by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back