QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

How are you comparing him to Liam Jones when he hasn’t fired a shot yet at QAFL Level. Maybe reserve your judgment as at Carlton I would say Robinson was ahead of Jones well and truly in the pecking order.

Not sure if you seen any VFL games last year but when he played that level he was dominant. Agree Jones dominated at QAFL Level but was role player at AFL Level.

Let’s wait and see what Robbo produces first before doing any comparisons at QAFL Level. You may change your opinion. For mine worth every cent what he brings on and off field. He will put bums on seats and has much bigger profile outside footy than anyone that has played QAFL Footy I would think.

Jones was not a 'role player' prior to the vaccination issue. In 2021 he was one of the best key defenders in the competition, roundly considered for AA nomination.

Robbo was a dominant VFL player in 2022, and will be a powerhouse at this level - and arguably midfielders can make a greater impact, so he will be a great get for the Siders who would have been in real strife had they not picked him up.

Given the assistant coach component, which is a bit silly, but thats the rules, he probably only costs $10-15k of the salary cap and is worth every cent.

Andrew Cadzow would be terrific in that role
How are you comparing him to Liam Jones when he hasn’t fired a shot yet at QAFL Level. Maybe reserve your judgment as at Carlton I would say Robinson was ahead of Jones well and truly in the pecking order.

Not sure if you seen any VFL games last year but when he played that level he was dominant. Agree Jones dominated at QAFL Level but was role player at AFL Level.

Let’s wait and see what Robbo produces first before doing any comparisons at QAFL Level. You may change your opinion. For mine worth every cent what he brings on and off field. He will put bums on seats and has much bigger profile outside footy than anyone that has played QAFL Footy I would think.
Have to disagree there SM.Liam Jones was in the all Australian squad the year before he left.Robertson wouldn’t do his shoelaces up!

The points system is a tough grind for the first 2 years but if you can keep the same players year 3 let’s you bring in more high point players. Broadbeach will gain about 4 to 6 points from players hitting year 3 of service.

All players under 21 that are QLD kids should be 1 point players. Even if they move clubs but they can only move once.

I still can’t get past the Seb Rogers rule he was 4 points this year but will be 1 point in 2023 as he was played more then 75 games for the club. If he has been around Noosa for that long the league could have made a decision to say let’s move him down one point last year.

In Vic every year of service you reduce a point but in QLD it’s your third year that you reduce a point from. We are behind the times up here but they won’t listen to anyone.
Seb Rogers should have always STARTED as a 2 pt player at worst. If Jono Freeman was 1 pt then Rogers should have been.

Have to disagree there SM.Liam Jones was in the all Australian squad the year before he left.Robertson wouldn’t do his shoelaces up!
Yes 100% NB - the 2 guys are obviously very different players but Jones is the best player to have played in QAFL football for a very very long time considering he was still at peak performance coming out of the AFL and as a key position player at that. If you say his "role" was to intercept mark SM then he did it better than most and a guy like Darcy Moore would be seen in this light too?

I agree though SM that Robbo will put bums on seats and has a very strong public profile possibly not matching Tom Baulch but moving into that category... :) I say hats off to Panthers - looks like they are ramping up this year.

All i'm saying is that a grand is alot of money if that is what he is on and can buy a pretty decent footballer still. Mind you I think if compared to what another QAFL club reportedly paid for an ex AFL fella and also threw into an assist coach role to reduce the salary last season then I would agree that you have paid miles unders or the other club paid miles overs - take your pick I suppose.

Think he's getting much more than just a grand, but probably worth it too as will get it 40 times a week with his eyes closed. Much better value than the other joker on that money

heard from mate in Melb robbos agent was asking 2000 a game in vic. cant imagine panthers got him for anything under 1500. few opposition will be looking over there shoulder

Robinson was All Australian and played in games against Ireland from memory and won a B&F at Brisbane as well. Think you selling him a bit short Noosaboy.

Reckon he will surprise a few at QAFL Level as we all know the way he goes about it. Don’t get me wrong I rated Liam Jones and thought he was great for Palmy this year.

I think it’s great for competition to get more decent quality ex AFL boys.

Robinsons best years are behind him although will still be in the top echelon in the comp. Won't have the same impact as a gun AFL key position like Jones.

Have morningside picked up anyone else? They'll need a few after a tough year and losing a couple of young guns to Williamstown

Robinsons best years are behind him although will still be in the top echelon in the comp. Won't have the same impact as a gun AFL key position like Jones.

Have morningside picked up anyone else? They'll need a few after a tough year and losing a couple of young guns to Williamstown
Dezario. I here where you are coming from ... yes great to get Robbo into the comp and Im sure he will be a good recruit for the Siders, but the issue is,,, they need about 8 more players of a good standard to reach finals in 2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson was All Australian and played in games against Ireland from memory and won a B&F at Brisbane as well. Think you selling him a bit short Noosaboy.

Reckon he will surprise a few at QAFL Level as we all know the way he goes about it. Don’t get me wrong I rated Liam Jones and thought he was great for Palmy this year.

I think it’s great for competition to get more decent quality ex AFL boys.
Think u will find SM he’s never been an AA. But selected in that Mickey Mouse stuff that used t9 travel to Ireland to play. And that was over 10 yrs ago too. He’s always been a good honest performer since coming up this way.

I think he will be a super pick up all the same in this c9mp for all the same reasons you have outlined and others. Really good family as well with his wife being a handy player in her own right 😁. I think he automatically makes panthers a 4 goal better side.

Putting aside the silly Jones comparison, who is an elite top line AFL key defender and was only out of the AFL due to a needle, unlike Robbo who was delisted and unwanted - Robinson will be the best midfielder in this competition, and will make a very ordinary looking MOrningside list look much better as a result. If he's on $1,500 a game, then thats good value, as they wouldn't have many players demanding much coin and are probably nowhere near the salary cap.

They have plenty of cash despite their public utterings, so this is a good investment of that cash.

Robinson lives around the corner from Morningside where his kids seem settled. I imagine he took a little less not having to relocate or fly every weekend.

Sold his house in Norman Park a few weeks ago so the signing now for a club round the corner is a little strange. Guessing it wasn't the primary plan at the end of last year.

I wonder how many playing coaches a club can claim under the salary cap ? Hasn’t morningside already claimed Buzza as a coach ? If if Robinson is now on board that would be 2 . For a club that cries poor they definitely know how to throw the money around . (where there’s smoke there’s fire)

I have spoken to 2 players directly who’ve been offered large amounts of money to play at the Panthers. So it would be assumed that Buzza will get paid when he plays, and how can he be a coach at the club while he’s playing and training at the lions (Rort 1) Robinson is clearly on or over 30k, (Rort 2) coaching staff ?? Their new footy director Harding wouldn’t be free ? They are chasing a very high profile name already in QAFL and he definitely won’t be cheap (Rort 3). So again how do clubs get away with this bullshit salary cap rorting .

I feel for the clubs who do the right thing and the clubs who just can’t afford to throw money around like that .

Second rant If Palm Beach has another ex AFL player on their books then they would be doing the same thing as I’m sure David Armitage isn’t cheap . People are suggesting it’s Frawley which I find hard to believe as he works at Suns as a coach in their VFL team and I’m sure they won’t be letting him play when he should be at their games. If he could have been playing I’m sure it would have already happened as he’s been on the coast for years.

I wonder how many playing coaches a club can claim under the salary cap ? Hasn’t morningside already claimed Buzza as a coach ? If if Robinson is now on board that would be 2 . For a club that cries poor they definitely know how to throw the money around . (where there’s smoke there’s fire)

I have spoken to 2 players directly who’ve been offered large amounts of money to play at the Panthers. So it would be assumed that Buzza will get paid when he plays, and how can he be a coach at the club while he’s playing and training at the lions (Rort 1) Robinson is clearly on or over 30k, (Rort 2) coaching staff ?? Their new footy director Harding wouldn’t be free ? They are chasing a very high profile name already in QAFL and he definitely won’t be cheap (Rort 3). So again how do clubs get away with this bullshit salary cap rorting .

I feel for the clubs who do the right thing and the clubs who just can’t afford to throw money around like that .

Second rant If Palm Beach has another ex AFL player on their books then they would be doing the same thing as I’m sure David Armitage isn’t cheap . People are suggesting it’s Frawley which I find hard to believe as he works at Suns as a coach in their VFL team and I’m sure they won’t be letting him play when he should be at their games. If he could have been playing I’m sure it would have already happened as he’s been on the coast for years.
Buzza is an assistant coach but only being paid as a player as he may only play 3-5 games so even if he is on $500 a game it’s only $2,500 of cap if he plays 5 games.

He isn’t doing the coaching for any financial gain only experience as he has limited time whilst playing VFL.

So your big rort theory is way off mark. I think there is a lot more clubs with more experienced and high end players at their clubs. And if they can justify what and how they paying then good luck to them.

Not sure Morningside has ever cried poor given they are biggest junior club in Australia I think they travelling ok.

Turtle actually can be paid as an Administrator but to my knowledge he is doing for free as he plays Friday nights at the club.

Hopefully that clears up any of your issues 😂

Think you off the mark there.

Salary cap is ~$80k

Robinson might chew up about $17,500 of that absolute maximum as they would be using the coaching loophole, that is available to every single club. (Imo it should be capped at $10k, or you can't have your assistant getting paid 3 times what the senior coach gets, but the rort is available to everyone)

Buzza reportedly getting $1,000 a game, but as old mate said below - he might only play 5 games.

So you still have $55k left to spend on a pretty ordinary list. Obviously throwing the kitchen sink at Payney who wants out of Grange, Aspley won't pay him so he will go to the only club prepared to sell the farm for him - even then, there is heaps of room left to stay within the cap if they grab Payne at ~$1,200 a game. Downie would be on a bit, and they wasted a bit of coin on that plodder from Lions VFL last year - but I think you barking up the wrong tree if you think they are cheating or rorting the cap.

Saying clubs are doing the right thing by not throwing money around is wrong, just means they don't have any money. Is that really the right thing?

Buzza is an assistant coach but only being paid as a player as he may only play 3-5 games so even if he is on $500 a game it’s only $2,500 of cap if he plays 5 games.

He isn’t doing the coaching for any financial gain only experience as he has limited time whilst playing VFL.

So your big rort theory is way off mark. I think there is a lot more clubs with more experienced and high end players at their clubs. And if they can justify what and how they paying then good luck to them.

Not sure Morningside has ever cried poor given they are biggest junior club in Australia I think they travelling ok.

Turtle actually can be paid as an Administrator but to my knowledge he is doing for free as he plays Friday nights at the club.

Hopefully that clears up any of your issues 😂

Think you'll find Turtles is on a 5 figure wicket at Morningside....

If its not $80k, then what is it?

Point remains though, I doubt any clubs other than Aspley are anywhere near it in Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back