QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Where else were we supposed to get top ups from? It's not like we're resting some of our reserves.

We also borrowed a player from Melbourne while he's up here on school holidays.

Maybe from a cross section of QAFL clubs, not just targeting the same one most weeks!

One of them is an extremely good QAFL footballer, is 17 years old and has had 18 Disposals in 4 games for Lions VFL on extremely limited minutes.

Do you think that's good for his footy?

Maybe from a cross section of QAFL clubs, not just targeting the same one most weeks!

One of them is an extremely good QAFL footballer, is 17 years old and has had 18 Disposals in 4 games for Lions VFL on extremely limited minutes.

We sign 10 top up players each season. QAFL clubs must expect those players to be unavailable to them most weeks.

I won't pretend to know everyone of the academy kids who make up the emergencies. The only two academy kids I know of are Richardson and Glass (not including Marshall). Do all the emergencies miss playing for their QAFL teams?

Here's a bit of "Tradition V Trivia" for anyone who is interested:

Noosa V Labrador
Played 4: Noosa 1 win - Labrador 3

Aspley V Maroochydore
Played 3: Aspley 3 - Maroochydore 0
Pre-QAFL, the two clubs met numerous times in the BAFL 1993 to 1997 (including the 1996 Grand Final won by Maroochydore) and AFLQ Div 2 2005 to 2008.

Sherwood V Morningside
Played 42: Sherwood 6 - Morningside 36
Its been a disrupted contest since 1983, as both clubs moved between various levels of competition.

Mt Gravatt V Broadbeach
Played 53: Mt Gravatt 29 - Broadbeach 24
The only game this week where the two teams meet for the first occasion this season. A close contest, underlined by there having been nine games decided by a goal or less.

Surfers Paradise V Wilston Grange
Played 24: Surfers Paradise 17 - Wilston Grange 7
Lets see if I can get this sorted out accurately:
My results for these two clubs commence from Season AFLQ 2011, coinciding with the advent of the NEAFL. However, these two clubs first met in the AFLSQ 2000 Season - then skipped a few years before meeting up again from 2005 to 2010. Club histories go further back than just the QAFL.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Redland
Played 4: Palm Beach 1 - Redland 3
These two clubs managed to avoid each other for many years. Redland was promoted after their 1999 BAFL premiership, just before the BAFL and Gold Coast Leagues merged to form the AFLSQ in 2000.

Hope that helped kill a few minutes for you. :thumbsu:

Where else were we supposed to get top ups from? It's not like we're resting some of our reserves.

We also borrowed a player from Melbourne while he's up here on school holidays.
Haha - aren't you playing in Melbourne? I think the lesson around creating a list capable of competing at QAFL level is to not load up on 18yr olds that are academy kids or worse, rely on them. if they play then it's cream on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That I think can be the elephant in the room - top up's shouldn't be seen as bit players who just help the VFL side get to 22 players but in fact the side revolves around 4-6 blokes. If they are selected then they play a good period.

Yes, definitely expect the VFL listed top up players to play VFL and plan accordingly.

It's the non VFL listed guys playing, when VFL listed guys are available that frustrates people. Especially if it's hampering their development.
There's a kid (ruckman) playing at Maroochy in the Academy program who was not that far away from making the Allies group from my understanding (but didn't). Well he's playing colts footy today - I know where his best development would lie. Mind you, a ruckman is a specific position and might not suit the team dynamics although playing Bullants it will be a 100pt margin in any case so not sure its a big deal

Haha - aren't you playing in Melbourne? I think the lesson around creating a list capable of competing at QAFL level is to not load up on 18yr olds that are academy kids or worse, rely on them. if they play then it's cream on top.
Maybe. I hadn’t looked. Poor young Marshall doesn’t even get to visit his parents during the holidays. (Or his parents didn’t have to pay for his flight back to boarding school, 😂)

Tipping comp ..
no 6 out of 6 this week ,, comp ladder is close
62; THUNDER DOC AND NWO
61; SMY AND UNSPOKN BIZ
60; BUNYIP AND TOUCAN SOUP
59; DEZARIO,
58; STILL ME, GOALKICKER, STUYD
57; MOBBS BIG TEX
56; PREMIER,FOOTY BOY,BIG E. TIME TO RETIRE
55; BUD 63, UP IT STUMPY , QLD CLUELESS, PUGS
54; MAGPIE BOY , LONGY ZILL, MUDSTICKS
53; NOOSA BOY

some big results today! Mounties win over Broady when everyone thinks they are going to be souless from the decisions recently.
SP massive winners over Grange
Roos 4 goal losers to Aspley away the closest result the Hornets have had for a while
And of course Sherwood's first win for the season over Panthers -

lots of swings and roundabouts

some big results today! Mounties win over Broady when everyone thinks they are going to be souless from the decisions recently.
SP massive winners over Grange
Roos 4 goal losers to Aspley away the closest result the Hornets have had for a while
And of course Sherwood's first win for the season over Panthers -

lots of swings and roundabouts
Wow I didn't even look at the other scores. What a round!

Broadbeach ,, just didnt turn up today ,, as has occured 3 other times this season ,,, we had a good side in with a few injured players from a few weeks ago back in but wow ,, like we just were not there on game day ,, a big concern here for the coaching heirachy

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back