QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the Magpies vs Panthers game on the weekend. Good effort for Sherwood to finally notch a win, though it was a horrendous game of footy and not a great standard at all.

Notables were that Shaquille Macleod is going to be a very very good payer when he gets going and learns the game. Dylan Swann was solid for the Panthers also.

Fletcher for Sherwood an absolute class above, alongside Edwards #22.

However, most notable was the 16 year old Ryan Gilder who did a number on the highly fancied Kegan Downie. Big job to give to a teenager, but he slaughtered him. briztoon - you should find the tape of this game if you want a look at one of your best academy prospects.

Also, despite all of the above, both teams being pretty average - the atmosphere was electric, must have been 1500+ people there, way more than I expected for a bottom of the table clash.

Also, outstanding win from Mt Gravatt, as Broadbeach look to have had a pretty strong side in, Noosa over Labrador would have to be an upset as well - and surprised by the lack of comment here for the absolute bath that Surfers gave to Grange. Surfers are a real a sleeper team. Look forward to the 'coaches corner' article from Moloney, though they only seem to pop up after a win ;)
Agree Surfers appear well positioned for a week 1 home final.

If a 16 year old held Keegan Downie then that kid will be a gun. I really rate #4 at Morningside. As good a recruit as there has been to QAFL in past 2 years (outside the drop back of VFL & NEAFL players)

Broady have a tough 2 weeks coming up with Aspley & Redlands in succession.

Is it time to discuss where Labrador are at?

Good summary mate but with both Lions and Suns 16's having very good years as well (Lions won Div 2) you would think there might be some more coming through (Miller alluded to one).
I still think the mixture of senior footy and academy footy is the best development a kid can have vs playing in the Coates league and predominantly playing U18 footy. Ok, QAFL isn't VFL or SANFL but it’s a good standard where the best kids will showcase wares against some very good senior footballers, esp when U16/17.
The more salient point of my post, was that it’s going to be a very poor draft this year (excluding Gold Coast).

As for the future, I’m excited by our 16’s crop.

I hope they keep getting quality coaching at their QAFL clubs, as I have no faith in the Lions academy (yet).

The more salient point of my post, was that it’s going to be a very poor draft this year (excluding Gold Coast).

I hope they keep getting quality coaching at their QAFL clubs, as I have no faith in the Lions academy (yet).
You finally coming over from the dark side Briztoon?😁

If a 16 year old held Keegan Downie then that kid will be a gun. I really rate #4 at Morningside. As good a recruit as there has been to QAFL in past 2 years (outside the drop back of VFL & NEAFL players)

He's 17 now, was 16 when he debuted earlier in the year.

I had him as best player on the ground in my opinion.

16 disposals, 8 marks at 93%

Credited with only 1 tackle, which is definitely not correct!

Downie had 8 touches at 60% and got 1 goal that was from a 50m penalty, from a very questionable free kick.

Very good game from the young bloke that's for sure.

Edit: yes it was a cracking day, huge home crowd. I'd say in the range of 1700 if i had to guess.

Nice summary of the game miller. That’s awesome to hear a teenager touching up an experienced key forward!

Does anyone know who is coaching Mt Gravatt? Must have done something right to get the players up to beat the cats. Could be a Smokey to sneak into 6th.

Allan Flower is coaching them, though I reckon the players probably got up and about themselves. Good win to shove it up the divisive board!

Yeah Labrador just stopped to a hault LB.
Just slaughters Noosa in the opening quarter and should have been 7 or 8 goals up.Offermans and Simpson really good players and a bloke named Tex was well on top also.Noosas pressure picked up through leaders Rogers,Laskey,Fitzpatrick

Yeah Labrador just stopped to a hault LB.
Just slaughters Noosa in the opening quarter and should have been 7 or 8 goals up.Offermans and Simpson really good players and a bloke named Tex was well on top also.Noosas pressure picked up through leaders Rogers,Laskey,Fitzpatrick
Etc and they just ran all over the top of them. Labrador just didn’t give a yelp in the last 2 and half quarters. One thing I will say is Chris Rourke is a stickler for fitness.He is ‘ Hafey’ like with running sessions and recovery and all four of our wins this year we have ran all over teams late.Great day at the local footy and a bloody good win!

Bit harsh imo - I know a few of the blokes coaching the SC guys and also the U16 academy team itself - very well regarded football people and although not sure of who is "assisting" these guys and running the local programs (aside from SC) in BN and BS. Need to remember there isn't a lot of coin attached to being involved at Academy level for coaches and therefore some so called good football people don't/won't want to get involved too heavily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think that happened at Weyba rd too - certainly no updates of the score for a fair while past the games finish... :)
Well in my case the scores were still coming, I was just joking at my own team's expense by saying it was not good reading so I gave up hehe. I did actually check in every now and then haha.

But yeah Surfers have now beaten Grange at both ends - comeback win at Hickey Oval and seems just smashed us down at Surfers.

This coming weekend Grange host PBC (whom I've never seen play, btw, as a QAFL noob). Would it be fair to say both teams might feel a lot rides on the result?

Bit harsh imo - I know a few of the blokes coaching the SC guys and also the U16 academy team itself - very well regarded football people and although not sure of who is "assisting" these guys and running the local programs (aside from SC) in BN and BS. Need to remember there isn't a lot of coin attached to being involved at Academy level for coaches and therefore some so called good football people don't/won't want to get involved too heavily.
As just a fan, and that's all I am. I'm not a parent of an academy kid. I don't have a link to any QAFL club. The Lions offer sfa in the way of information about our academy. There's nothing on the club website. There's almost no social media posts (I'm pretty sure there has been a grand total of of one tweet, about our academy girls going undefeated in their four games against Talent League teams).

The only thing I have seen from the club about the academy is an email a couple of weeks ago, is the club asking for donations.

Tipping comp ..
no 6 out of 6 this week ,, comp ladder is close
62; THUNDER DOC AND NWO
61; SMY AND UNSPOKN BIZ
60; BUNYIP AND TOUCAN SOUP
59; DEZARIO,
58; STILL ME, GOALKICKER, STUYD
57; MOBBS BIG TEX
56; PREMIER,FOOTY BOY,BIG E. TIME TO RETIRE
55; BUD 63, UP IT STUMPY , QLD CLUELESS, PUGS
54; MAGPIE BOY , LONGY ZILL, MUDSTICKS
53; NOOSA BOY
Sorry guys ,, i have made a mistake again ,, be it counting Labrador as the winner when it was Noosa,,,will amend the ladder tommorow

As just a fan, and that's all I am. I'm not a parent of an academy kid. I don't have a link to any QAFL club. The Lions offer sfa in the way of information about our academy. There's nothing on the club website. There's almost no social media posts (I'm pretty sure there has been a grand total of of one tweet, about our academy girls going undefeated in their four games against Talent League teams).

The only thing I have seen from the club about the academy is an email a couple of weeks ago, is the club asking for donations.
Yeah thats a fair critique - can accept that. I agree the Lions girls had a stellar run this year that seemed to go under the radar a little bit (not that any of the girls would have really known any different I think...)

Sorry guys ,, i have made a mistake again ,, be it counting Labrador as the winner when it was Noosa,,,will amend the ladder tommorow
Well considering Play HQ wasn't updated for a long long time (NB must have got so excited about the comeback that he forgot to keep pressing buttons.. :) ) thats fair enough!

He's 17 now, was 16 when he debuted earlier in the year.

I had him as best player on the ground in my opinion.

16 disposals, 8 marks at 93%

Credited with only 1 tackle, which is definitely not correct!

Downie had 8 touches at 60% and got 1 goal that was from a 50m penalty, from a very questionable free kick.

Very good game from the young bloke that's for sure.

Edit: yes it was a cracking day, huge home crowd. I'd say in the range of 1700 if i had to guess.

what on earth is going on with the commentary of that game? The bloke can't even read a teamsheet and the girl just says the same dumb shit repeatedly.

they should get club people, or at least someone that knows a majority of the players, especially the stars. Embarassing for a state league game to have 2 commentators that have a 50% strike rate just for the names of the players, let alone calling what is unfolding in front of them.

Better off just liuve streaming with crowd noise.

Whilst Surfers were very good, I wouldn’t read too much into the Grange performance. They were down to 3 on the bench in the first minute, 1 from half way through the second quarter (2 concussions) & none for most of the last when another mid copped a late hit & joined the other 2 in hospital. Amusingly (sort of) they got pulled up for a 6-6-6 in the last 10 mins as they were down to 17 fit players! Don’t discount Surfers at all. Their ball movement was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Amended tipping ladder;

63;THUNDERDOC
61; NWO
60; DEZARIO,SMY.UNSPOKEN BIZ
59; BUNYIP,TOUCAN SOUP
58; MOBBS, STUYD,
57; STILL ME QLD CLUELESS, GOALKICKER, BIG E
56; BIG TEX
55; 2010PREMIER, FOOTY BOY, PUGS, TIME TO RETIRE
54; BUD63,NOOSA BOY, MAGPIE BOY
53; LONGY ZILL. UP IT STUMPY, MUDSTICKS
30; WIZARD MELON

Amended tipping ladder;

63;THUNDERDOC
61; NWO
60; DEZARIO,SMY.UNSPOKEN BIZ
59; BUNYIP,TOUCAN SOUP
58; MOBBS, STUYD,
57; STILL ME QLD CLUELESS, GOALKICKER, BIG E
56; BIG TEX
55; 2010PREMIER, FOOTY BOY, PUGS, TIME TO RETIRE
54; BUD63,NOOSA BOY, MAGPIE BOY
53; LONGY ZILL. UP IT STUMPY, MUDSTICKS
30; WIZARD MELON
AND HAVE A LOOK AT THIS WEEKEND S FIXTURES .. WOW A TRICKY ROUND FOR TIPPING

Whilst Surfers were very good, I wouldn’t read too much into the Grange performance. They were down to 3 on the bench in the first minute, 1 from half way through the second quarter (2 concussions) & none for most of the last when another mid copped a late hit & joined the other 2 in hospital. Amusingly (sort of) they got pulled up for a 6-6-6 in the last 10 mins as they were down to 17 fit players! Don’t discount Surfers at all. Their ball movement was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sounds like Grange might have had some luck go against them on the weekend. But that is a flogging for 4 v 5 on the ladder. Next few weeks will be interesting for making up the numbers in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back