QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bear with me. I'm trying out a couple of things here:

Two games last weekend, both decided by 2 points. Great for the competition, but it doesn't happen too often.

"Two point" margins have now entered into the Top Ten of the most frequent margins across the history of the competition:
  • 22 points - 144 occasions
  • 27 points - 141
  • 1 point - 141
  • 4 points - 135
  • 8 points - 135
  • 16 points - 134
  • 18 points - 133
  • 20 points - 133
* 2 points - 130
  • 7 points - 129
  • 9 points - 129

It is bizarre to me that "22 point margins" are the most frequent results, followed by "27 points" in equal second. Make of that what you will. :rolleyes:

Last week's results made me wonder when was the last time that two games were decided by a goal or less in the one round. Turns out it wasn't that long ago. Round 16 2022, Maroochydore and Noosa drew, and Broadbeach defeated Redland by 3 points.
What if we increase it, and look for the last time three games were decided by a goal or less. We need to go back to Round 7 2013 - but it was for the SEQAFL comp during the NEAFL era: University defeated Burleigh by 1 point, Wilston Grange defeated Sherwood (Western Magpies) by 1 point, and Palm Beach defeated Mayne by 4 points. Anyone here involved in those games?
Lets look for the same scenario, but at the QAFL level. For that, we have to back to Round 4 1976 when the following results occurred: Windsor Zillmere defeated Morningside by 6 points, Sandgate defeated Coorparoo by 6 points, and Wilston Grange and Western Districts drew. And this was back when there were only 4 games each round, not six as there are today. (For the record, the other game saw Mayne defeat Kedron by 77 points.)

So there you go. Enjoy it or ignore it. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010premier Completely correct - although not by "a fair way".
It was only a couple of years ago that "5 point" margins became the more frequent occurrence in VFL/AFL results. That has now been surpassed again by "1 point" - but I'm not sure what the current standings are.

And for what its worth, I'd better provide some tips for this week too:

Morningside
Redland
Labrador
Aspley
Surfers Paradise
Wilston Grange

Tough round!

Here is some "Tradition V Trivia" for this week (for anyone interested):

Morningside V Noosa
Played 3: Morningside 3 wins - Noosa 0
Not much history to share here.

Redland V Mt Gravatt
Played 36: Redland 15 – Mt Gravatt 21
These two clubs have some history of clashes pre-QAFL, competing from 1988 to 1993 in First Division of SQAFA/BAFL. Without checking, I’d suggest that the record may have been quite close in those years too (based on ladder positions).

Labrador V Sherwood
Played 28: Labrador 18 – Sherwood 10
The earliest match in these numbers is from 2001. Given Labrador was promoted to the QSFL in 1997, I’m fairly sure the two clubs never clashed prior to 2001.

Broadbeach V Aspley
Played 15: Broadbeach 9 – Aspley 5 – Draw 1
I wonder if we will get a result as close as Round 1 this year?

Maroochydore V Surfers Paradise
Played 10: Maroochydore 4 - Surfers Paradise 5 – Draw 1
These results commence from 2011 from the division below NEAFL. The two clubs have some prior history from the 2005 to 2010 seasons (AFLQ Div 2).
Another game with a close result already this season, when the Demons were triumphant by 4 points.

Wilston Grange V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 21: Wilston Grange 4 - Palm Beach 17
Once again, this tally commences from 2011 – but the two clubs have competed in the same competition during the 2000 and 2002 to 2010 seasons. I’ve got enough information available to include results from non-QAFL local comps since 2000, so perhaps that is the next stage of this project.

Not a huge legacy of competition in this week’s games. Redland V Mt Gravatt holds some interest for me due to their SQAFA origins.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back