6 - Darcy Moore (COLL)
5 - Jordan De Goey (COLL)
5 - Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
3 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
1 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
1 - Joel Selwood (GEEL)
Cwood total 16

Geel total 14

Probably means nothing but it had to be done.

My sister in law is a Geelong supporter. I did the right thing and rang her today to congratulate her on the win. (I know fans have nothing to do with the win). It took me two days to get my courage up.

She was very gracious, and then said she had ‘no idea’ that Collingwood was that good.😳
Neither did the media. They cover their arses by conveniently focusing on the game and not mentioning their pre match expert opinions.
David King is a classic example.
His stats are meaningless as has been shown repeatedly. Without them he has nothing to say.

Have done the replay now and it confirmed what I thought of the match. Cracking game of footy, we were a combination of unlucky and just quite not good enough. Contrary to what most think have no problems with the umps, did what they should do in a tough finals match and let it evolve without getting involved. Some borderline decisions but thought it was well umpired overall

Like Vicky Park left the game with a funny combination of deflate and admiration for the effort. The 2018 GF on a smaller scale and with a chance to right the wrong

Am not too disturbed by the loss as the new system means losing the QF is no longer the big problem it was. As long as we knock off Freo, not a given but I back us, we will go into the PF with a better prep than Sydney. Would have liked Melb on the G but cant have that.

Melbourne have moved into a much more comfortable position than a QF loser should. Faves to beat Brissy then get Geelong on the G with the perfect prep. No guarantee they win but they shouldnt be in that position. Not complaing this year if it also happens for us. Get through this week and we are 50:50 v Sydney. Flag in 22 still on the cards, pretty unbelievable for what I thought earlier in the year.

The backline held Geelong to 11 goals. I understand your view but feel that overall Murph was like the rest of our defence, he held up.

If we're going to look at individual performances I think the 3 players who had the least impact on the day were Mihocek, Elliott, & Ginni i.e. the side's top goal scorers. Elliott and Checkers had ample opportunity at add at least 4 more goals to our total which would have had us comfortable winners.

I watched the replay yesterday, at one point in the 3rd we were 4.11 and could have comfortably been 7.8 if we converted our easy chances.
Other than Kreuger, Murphy was our lowest possession getter on the ground. He may have been part of a group that but he certainly offered the least out of our 7 defenders.

Mihocek, Elliott and Ginnivan weren’t up to their usual standard but they still offered more than Murphy on the night.

Other than Kreuger, Murphy was our lowest possession getter on the ground. He may have been part of a group that but he certainly offered the least out of our 7 defenders.

Mihocek, Elliott and Ginnivan weren’t up to their usual standard but they still offered more than Murphy on the night.

Murph was quiet, but we should keep in mind that his game isn't about possessions.

My point remains that if the forwards converted the easy opportunities they had, Collingwood would have won.

Most of the howlers were performed by forwards.

This isn't meant to take away from a great team performance, but we didn't lose the game because of our defense. We didn't win it because of our forwards.

Sorry but again this is wrong.

Watch Cameron’s goals and you’ll find almost all we’re not due to Howes mistakes.
Just because Cameron played well, you immediately caste blame on Howe, when any sensible review of the game suggests that simple assumption is unfounded.

If fact using your own logic, you should be very happy as Howe kept Cameron to only 3 goals compared to 6 last time.

Go to Footywire and compare Howe’s 2019 stats with 2022, they are almost indentical and cover far far more than disposals.
I'm not hanging Howe on one game, it just represented him continually being outclassed as that second key back against genuine quality. You havent grasped my logic by trying to condense it.

Unfortunately he has been forced into a role that is beyond him, when it comes to defence. Freo might suit him better in that regard, this week.

I imagine he doesn’t have the tank to play out the game as a full time ruck and the coaches don’t want his lack of mobility exposed up forward.
It seems odd cause he has definitely spent larger amounts of games rucking and moving around the ground with no real issue. Not having spend more time forward was strange especially when we needed a target up forward given we were getting nothing out of Mihochek.

Murph was quiet, but we should keep in mind that his game isn't about possessions.

My point remains that if the forwards converted the easy opportunities they had, Collingwood would have won.

Most of the howlers were performed by forwards.

This isn't meant to take away from a great team performance, but we didn't lose the game because of our defense. We didn't win it because of our forwards.
His role isn’t just about possessions but I’d argue the same for our forwards. What Murphy’s game lacked was his interception and he lost crucial contests that he usually wins or halves.

Geelong had more shots on goal then us similar could be said about them. Had they nailed more shots they could have put us away.

We lost by a goal, either our backs, forwards or mids being better would have got us over the line.

I’d say the main issue was Geelong we’re able to break through our pressure and walts in for some easy goals, all our goals were hard fought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong had more shots on goal then us similar could be said about them. Had they nailed more shots they could have put us away.

Both teams had periods of dominance.

In the first quarter especially we missed too many gimmes and Geelong stayed in touch with us because they converted more of theirs.

I can't understand how we want to pin blame on a defence that restricted them to 11 goals and be happy with a forward line that only kicked 10.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Both teams had periods of dominance.

In the first quarter especially we missed too many gimmes and Geelong stayed in touch with us because they converted more of theirs.

I can't understand how we want to pin blame on a defence that restricted them to 11 goals and be happy with a forward line that only kicked 10.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Feels like a live argument. I'm invested in the outcome.

Keep disagreeing.

Feels like a live argument. I'm invested in the outcome.

Keep disagreeing.

I doubt you're really invested. You don't really care, you're full of lies.

Full acknowledgment that it may just be my bias, but I feel like the AFL media is a total Geelong w*nkfest at the moment. You'd think we'd been belted by 10 goals.
To the winner goes the spoils but I agree with you. Watching all of the nightly footy shows and watching them dribble in orgasmic ecstasy over the incredible fortitude and strength of will the Cats displayed to find a way to get over the line has been astonishing. They were red hot favourites with most tipping a Cat cakewalk over the brave but limited Collingwood team. Instead of saying they were lucky to get home after finishing with 50% more than us and being on a winning streak of 13 they are gushing over a side loaded with All Australians and genuine stars who got home in the last minute of the bloody game against a rank outsider.

I'd be more inclined to say, well done in the end they got the job done but they really have a number of things which need to be addressed and went terribly close to yet another embarrassing loss in qualifying final.

But no- they are sensational and brave because they beat the pretenders by a kick.

I imagine he doesn’t have the tank to play out the game as a full time ruck and the coaches don’t want his lack of mobility exposed up forward.
Doesn’t need to be super mobile if he’s clunking them or at least halving contests 25 out from goal. It’s if he’s not getting near halving the contest then he needs to cover, but even then, he’s pretty mobile and has seemingly played much more heavily on ball with stints forward.

There’s a whiff of coaching decision to it that I’m not liking - but happy to roll with given what that coaching group has earned already this year. A bit like Moore forward late which was a really brave call and could’ve won it for us, BUT probably more contributed to our loss on the day.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the replay as I only had the last quarter to go.

Some huge moments from Geelong in the last few minutes. Like Tom Stewart quickly kicking it in bound and Guthrie juggling it with one hand, then Mitch Duncan just handling his terrible handball with a juggle himself.

And of course before that, Rohan doesn't take that mark 9 times out of 10. Even his shot on goal was incredible.

AFL360 or On The Couch (can't remember which one) made it look like Ginnivan was responsible for Holmes whom ran the length of the field to get the ball off Rohan in the goal square. It's not like Ginnivan just watched him ride into the sunset, Ginnivan cut across and put pressure on the kicker, so he gets the all clear from me. I daresay Holmes was playing as a winger and his man was more likely Josh Daicos (unconfirmed).

Shattered Crisp missed and Josh Daicos missed but both were under more pressure than I thought live at the ground, particular Josh Daicos. Probably could've actually got the ball properly and guided it to his foot, because he nearly just hacked it out of the air.

It felt like we were robbed at the ground walking out. I'm not sure. Not good enough or just unlucky, I still don't know. I don't think we'll know until this Saturday night.

To the winner goes the spoils but I agree with you. Watching all of the nightly footy shows and watching them dribble in orgasmic ecstasy over the incredible fortitude and strength of will the Cats displayed to find a way to get over the line has been astonishing. They were red hot favourites with most tipping a Cat cakewalk over the brave but limited Collingwood team. Instead of saying they were lucky to get home after finishing with 50% more than us and being on a winning streak of 13 they are gushing over a side loaded with All Australians and genuine stars who got home in the last minute of the bloody game against a rank outsider.

I'd be more inclined to say, well done in the end they got the job done but they really have a number of things which need to be addressed and went terribly close to yet another embarrassing loss in qualifying final.

But no- they are sensational and brave because they beat the pretenders by a kick.
Yep agree. Have said earlier that I’d love for us to get another crack at them (obviously that would mean a GF), feel like our coaching group would have taken a lot out of that game.

Feel like Scott would’ve taken away that “of course we won, we were superior…”

Just finished watching the replay as I only had the last quarter to go.

Some huge moments from Geelong in the last few minutes. Like Tom Stewart quickly kicking it in bound and Guthrie juggling it with one hand, then Mitch Duncan just handling his terrible handball with a juggle himself.

And of course before that, Rohan doesn't take that mark 9 times out of 10. Even his shot on goal was incredible.

AFL360 or On The Couch (can't remember which one) made it look like Ginnivan was responsible for Holmes whom ran the length of the field to get the ball off Rohan in the goal square. It's not like Ginnivan just watched him ride into the sunset, Ginnivan cut across and put pressure on the kicker, so he gets the all clear from me. I daresay Holmes was playing as a winger and his man was more likely Josh Daicos (unconfirmed).

Shattered Crisp missed and Josh Daicos missed but both were under more pressure than I thought live at the ground, particular Josh Daicos. Probably could've actually got the ball properly and guided it to his foot, because he nearly just hacked it out of the air.

It felt like we were robbed at the ground walking out. I'm not sure. Not good enough or just unlucky, I still don't know. I don't think we'll know until this Saturday night.
Good take. I was disappointed as for the most part we felt like the better team and should’ve got it done.

I think the more concerning/disappointing thing for me is that the (highly likely) risk that we don’t go all the way became more of a reality. Unfortunately not winning it all this year kind of diminishes the achievements in that streak of games, kind of like how I don’t have any great memories of the 2011 season despite such domination.

FWIW this would be roughly my take on why we lost.

50% Jeremy Cameron.
15% Didn’t take our chances.
10% Zero rub from the umps.
10% Let the occasion get to us/didn’t cope in general play.
5% Spud Ranga plays multiple levels above himself.
5% Bounce of the ball/luck/randomness.
5% Coaching - Moore forward late, Cox not playing more TOG as a forward, not doing enough to negate Cameron.

I don’t know if this has been brought up previously and it’s quite blasphemes of me to even say, but 3 things that annoyed me about Fly -

1, Kreuger as the medisub. Carmichael was a perfect sub for the type of game it was going to be, and it was. Couldn’t understand this.

2, Darcy Moore move up forward late. Could’ve easily been there to lead that backline and not allow the player out the back.

3, Mason Cox played 58 min of 122, so less than 50% game time. Wouldn’t we have been better off playing Carmichael for 50% game time (because of his tank) and gotten more out of him in the guts? Then the Krueger sub would’ve made more sense in the event of an injury to Cameron or another tall.

I don’t know if this has been brought up previously and it’s quite blasphemes of me to even say, but 3 things that annoyed me about Fly -

1, Kreuger as the medisub. Carmichael was a perfect sub for the type of game it was going to be, and it was. Couldn’t understand this.

2, Darcy Moore move up forward late. Could’ve easily been there to lead that backline and not allow the player out the back.

3, Mason Cox played 58 min of 122, so less than 50% game time. Wouldn’t we have been better off playing Carmichael for 50% game time (because of his tank) and gotten more out of him in the guts? Then the Krueger sub would’ve made more sense in the event of an injury to Cameron or another tall.
He probably was but he was unavailable due to an infected foot/leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back