Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They said you'd never make it"

But here we are.

Officially 3rd for the 2024 Home and Away Season.

PRetty damn remarkable given the preseason prediction average was probably 7th at best.

Anyway, its a long way away from the first bounce. Now that the scedule has actually been released we can start over analysing and talking about it.

The bye will be good for our sore lads and allow the older ones to get their breath -

3 Wins from Glory if we a re good enough.

Scooty has said, its not who but when you play them. With some luck, being first to the ball, taking out chances when the arise and not double grabbing the ball, we might wreak some havoc in the ext 5 weeks or so.

WE shall see.

GO CAtters

POWER

B: La. Jones, B. Zerk-Thatcher, M. Bergman
HB: R. Burton, A. Aliir, L. Evans
C: J. Burgoyne, O. Wines, W. Drew
HF: D. Byrne-Jones, E. Ratugolea, W. Rioli
F: M. Georgiades, C. Dixon, C. Rozee - C
FOLL: J. Sweet, J. Horne-Francis, Z. Butters

I/C: T. Boak, Q. Narkle, J. Mead, F. Evans, J. McEntee
EMG: J. Sinn, D. Visentini, T. Marshall

IN: C. Dixon, Q. Narkle
OUT: K. Farrell (Injured), D. Visentini (Omitted)

CATS

B: L. Humphries, J. Henry, J. Kolodjashnij
HB: M. Duncan, M. Blicavs, Z. Guthrie
C: M. Holmes, T. Atkins, O. Dempsey
HF: T. Stengle, S. Neale, S. Mannagh
F: B. Close, J. Cameron, O. Henry
FOLL: R. Stanley, P. Dangerfield - C, T. Stewart

I/C: Z. Tuohy, J. Bowes, G. Miers, T. Bruhn, J. Bews
EMG: G. Rohan, O. Mullin, S. De Koning

No changes

Last edited by a moderator:
Thursday night :thumbsdown:. Man I hate Thursday games with a passion. The AFL really don't want young kids watching footy do they, and then they wonder why kids are playing other sports instead of footy.

Anyway, lets hope we can be on from the first bounce and bring intense pressure for the whole game. We will need to to stand a chance I feel. Can we go up another gear as is required for finals footy? Time will tell.

Posted this in another thread but needs another posting

Players who played Port and didn’t play on the weekend against WC

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Players who played against WC on the weekend who didn’t play against Port last time

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”

Posted this in another thread but needs another posting

Players who played Port and didn’t play on the weekend against WC

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Players who played against WC on the weekend who didn’t play against Port last time

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”
Danger, Bowes, Bruhn a fair midfield upgrade on Parf, Clark and MOC.

Odds about right.

Lot of respect for the Power midfield. They look far too good in there, even someone like Drew is extremely underrated.

But elsewhere they vulnerable, so there is some hope.

Return of SDK is being underestimated. I hope we run him through the middle part of the ground more, he is an extremely talented play maker.

They need to come up with something creative there with Stanley, SDK and Blicavs.

There is a clear class difference between the midfields that should see Port win comfortably.

I want to see what we are made of though. If we can hold our own there for three quarters I'll be happy.

Our best chance of winning is from the coach's box. The previous encounter was one of (if not the) first times this year where Stewart copped a solid tag at HB. That, combined with being absolutely rodgered out of the centre bounces, makes me think he will be playing a part in the middle come Thursday week.

Tough ask, I will be happy wit ha strongly competitive effort from the young guys.

Four day turnaround for Port. I think this game comes down to who can manage the short turn around the best. I’d imagine we’d have a few changes at selection due to our own five day break

I know we get the extra day, but it'll be a 13 day break versus a 12 day break

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As with every game, the midfield battle is huge but (probably related) Aliir is just as big an issue. He has been a brick wall the past few years playing Port - how do we stop him from intercepting everything?
By having out third tall be a genuine leading threat and actually kicking to that threat.

2022 Gary Rohan role basically.

We have shown some glimpses of fantastic pressure and frenetic play over the past month or so. Inconsistently, but we have shown it's there.

Coaching staff and the 22 playing need to have this front of mind, this pressure and frenetic play must be there for the entire match.

My gut feel tells me this game will play out similar to the Saints game.

Port looked sharp yesterday….. can’t see us winning over there. Kenny ended Stewart last time with a bit of biff, so if Scott is the best coach in it as some have said including David King then the Stewart tag situation is a massive watch…
If cats need extra motivation then watch Kenny post game when they beat the cats this year. Turned to the crowd and said ‘eff off’
It’s retribution time if you want it!

Port looked sharp yesterday….. can’t see us winning over there. Kenny ended Stewart last time with a bit of biff, so if Scott is the best coach in it as some have said including David King then the Stewart tag situation is a massive watch…
If cats need extra motivation then watch Kenny post game when they beat the cats this year. Turned to the crowd and said ‘eff off’
It’s retribution time if you want it!
Port were average at best yesterday.

Freo fumbled that game away.

Mullin comes in for Duncan would be my call, need the speed and someone to run with JHF. Humphries has taken over Duncan’s role anyway. Time to make a statement. Worth a punt. SDK takes Bews’ spot. Tuohy the perfect finals Sub. Need a lot to go right but you know we can find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back