Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty strong talk around the traps that Geelong are expected to go with SDK in the ruck / Blicavs as back up, and leave Stanley out.

Mullin a big chance to play and run with JHF after the job he did in the previous match against Port. Bews to Rioli
Prefer SDK in the ruck. feel like with Stanley we know what we're likely to get while SDK is still a bit of a wild card.

Pretty strong talk around the traps that Geelong are expected to go with SDK in the ruck / Blicavs as back up, and leave Stanley out.

Mullin a big chance to play and run with JHF after the job he did in the previous match against Port. Bews to Rioli
Makes sense but I’d make a case for both Stanley and SDK with one to Sub all going well. Wouldn’t surprise if they’re training Mullin in that midfield role and using VFL to hone the defensive aspects of his game.

Prefer SDK in the ruck. feel like with Stanley we know what we're likely to get while SDK is still a bit of a wild card.
I see your point but playing him as Ruck in a Final coming off a knee operation , 2 weeks recovery and a 5 day spell seems very risky to me................prefer Stanley ruck and SDK down back/relief ruck.

Think it all depends on the team Port name. If they bring in Dixon and Marshall we will need SDK down back, if not there’s no need for him there so I’m happy to go him in the ruck over Stanley

Was funny on Footy Crappified the suggestion that Stewart is mentally fragile and can't cop a tag based on the Geelong V Port game where we should have run over the top of them and Stewart was playing a totally different role in the team. No mention on the fact that weeks after that game he has spent a lot of time midfield.

The only thing FC got right was that Port have an issue with their defence, especially smaller defenders, and that Stengle/Close/Miers have a habit of bobbing up with goals/assists.
Let me guess, it was a certain ex Power player that said that?

Think it all depends on the team Port name. If they bring in Dixon and Marshall we will need SDK down back, if not there’s no need for him there so I’m happy to go him in the ruck over Stanley

They're surely not going to play 4 key forwards with Dixon, Ratugolea, Marshall and Georgiadis in the same forward line.

If it's 3 we've got Blics, Henry and Kolo to cover them. If it's 4 then just back that the structure won't work and we can run off them at will.

My thoughts on Scotty regarding Hawkins a Cuthrie the last week or so is it's all a ruse not to fool Hinkley but side track the media sufficiently to be able to get on with the real business at hand under the radar plotting Ports demize.

I'm just ecstatic that we just have so many fit options. Stuff the media and their bandwagoning, they know less than us.
This side we pick is going to be nothing like the previous one v Port, albeit there are going to be BF melts and I-toldya -so's.
Scott's a quiet genius with his coaches, and already the plays are set and the players know their jobs.
I think Bruhn, Mannagh and Dempsey are going to have big games, and Dixon and Sav to fall over. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're surely not going to play 4 key forwards with Dixon, Ratugolea, Marshall and Georgiadis in the same forward line.

If it's 3 we've got Blics, Henry and Kolo to cover them. If it's 4 then just back that the structure won't work and we can run off them at will.

Tbh they shouldn’t be playing Sav at all. But might send him down back.

Are you dropping Cameron to play Hawkins & Neale, or dropping another forward like Henry to accommodate a forward structure we already know doesn't work?

We've tried the 3 x KPFs earlier this year against GWS, Richmond & Sydney, with goal returns from our KPFs of:
Cameron - 1, 1 & 2
Hawkins - 2, 2 & 1
Neale - 1, 2 & 1 (plus subbed off)

We also lost two of those matches with the only win coming against the wooden spooners

Let's then factor this in about Cameron and unnecessarily shifting him to a roaming role: "Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season."

IF Cameron is averaging over 6 shots at goal since moving to FF, why would we now want to move him from that position - he's shown how dangerous he is when one out in defence, so surely that's something we want to try to exploit during finals

And while Hawkins may be stronger than BZT, we rarely saw Hawkins able to out muscle an opponent over his last 9 matches prior to his injury - instead, we did see opponents frequently work off Hawkins to instead double team Cameron & Henry because they weren't viewing Hawkins as the same threat he previously was considered, and Hawkins wasn't able to make them pay when the opportunity did present

After not playing for 11 weeks, has Hawkins suddenly regained the form & touch he had lost prior to injury?
Excellent points.

I have a theory I half believe - that Chris Scott and the team know that if you show your hand too early, other teams figure it out (eg Hawkins Island).

While part of it is likely "trying new things" and "testing different configurations for if the need arise" - I reckon a few of the 'known' setups are shelved for parts of the season and ready to roll come September.

7 early wins allows for that sort of approach.

Last edited:
Excellent points.

I have a theory I half believe - that Chris Scott and the team know that if you show your hand Tok early, other teams figure it out (eg Hawkins Island).

While part of it is likely "trying new things" and "testing different configurations for if the need arise" - I reckon a few of the 'known' setups are shelved for parts of the season and ready to roll come September.

A cunning plan.

Tbh they shouldn’t be playing Sav at all. But might send him down back.

Their board suggests Sav training with the backs and then moving forward (as a ruse) but Sav's almost the last one we need to be concerned about. We do know his game/output from personal experience, remember our excuses that at least he could crash packs? Although Narkle could say the same if they play him as sub, but he's been Poorted a lot longer. Marshall is considered their weak link, some fast dude named Sinn being suggested. Cover their mid stars, and maybe Rozee playing back, no Houson helps, and we have a better team on paper.

Last edited:
Excellent points.

I have a theory I half believe - that Chris Scott and the team know that if you show your hand too early, other teams figure it out (eg Hawkins Island).

Is that on Tik Tok? Fast finger trigger edit. :)

Have you got SDK playing? And don’t say as the sub.
Would be insanity to have a tall as the sub, better to have SDK start and a sub on the bench who is an onballer or a Rohan/Henry type.

If SDK is sub and Miers or Close got injured the team balance would be totally ****ed.

Hawkins I think is there in case Neale is totally ineffectual under the heat of a final (which let’s be honest is not out of the realms of possibility), or in the case of a Cameron injury.

Guthrie I think needs two big games at VFL level, and then if Tuohy or Duncan are struggling, he could be the fresh experienced man on the scene.

I think in both cases they are on the outside looking in, but that could change over the month.
I don't think Neale being ineffective in a final is probable, it is virtually guaranteed. If we play Brisbane or GWS Andrews or Taylor will absolutely own him. I cannot see him being competitive.

I don't think Neale being ineffective in a final is probable, it is virtually guaranteed. If we play Brisbane or GWS Andrews or Taylor will absolutely own him. I cannot see him being competitive.

Taylor would get Cameron?

I reckon a fit Neale is still a better bet than an ageing, slow Hawkins. To me he’s just gone one year too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back