Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midweek tackle had SDK ranked 6th ruck in the comp (R15-19) and Stanley ranked 14th (R21-24)
That doesn't surprise me too much simply because SDK gets more of the ball and disposals would be valued higher than hitouts which are a bit of a nothing stat.

The caveat would be when a ruck is so dominant in the hit outs that it gives their midfield group a big advantage in clearances, which would be my concern if playing SDK against Port. I think we match or beat port in most areas of the ground, but their midfield have the ability to take the game away from us. So, if we can just neutralise that it goes a long way to winning the match and maybe Stanley is the lower risk, lower reward option (although maybe not). That said Blicavs has done ok down back, and it's not like Sweet is a world beater, so maybe worth rolling the dice.

He has played forward the last month or so with Dixon and Marshall missing games. I assume he'll go back to defence if they're both in or they'll leave out a tall.
Forgive the intrusion.

There is zero chance Rat is played in the backlines again this year. The side has improved immeasurably having him up forward (and away from the backlines)

I would much prefer Port play Esava in defence, than forward.

His unpredictable play causes issues in defence but he can be a handful on his day forward.

He was forced into defence and ruck at Geelong after we got Cameron and it was never his go.

Port have made the right call here.

All well and good, but posts like these should also nominate who is to be dropped. Bews I'm guessing?
I think that is the point for me. I don’t mind the thought of playing both Stanley and Sam but I can’t think who then comes out for SDK? It won’t be Bews IMO as they will want him as a potential Rioli match up (even if Bews plays sub he can be pulled on early if needed).

CS won’t drop 2E nor Duncan and from there I can’t think of anyone else who deserves to miss?

Which I why I am in the camp it will be SDK or Stanley. A week ago I was worried it would mean SDK would miss - I am increasingly thinking it will be Stanley (but I am guessing)

That doesn't surprise me too much simply because SDK gets more of the ball and disposals would be valued higher than hitouts which are a bit of a nothing stat.

The caveat would be when a ruck is so dominant in the hit outs that it gives their midfield group a big advantage in clearances, which would be my concern if playing SDK against Port. I think we match or beat port in most areas of the ground, but their midfield have the ability to take the game away from us. So, if we can just neutralise that it goes a long way to winning the match and maybe Stanley is the lower risk, lower reward option (although maybe not). That said Blicavs has done ok down back, and it's not like Sweet is a world beater, so maybe worth rolling the dice.

Every side in the Finals will have a weakness , ours is clearly the midfield and the knock on effect of allowing teams to run away from stoppage and put pressure on our defence. We must at least breakeven and force ugly disposals else we will be scored against heavily. Pressure between the arcs will be pivotal.
I'd play SDK and Stanley with Stanley main ruck - SDK's patella is a huge risk despite the surgery , if we leave Stanley out and SDK breaks down we are kangaroo edward.
SDK comes in for Humphries ( if still injured) or Bews - that will weaken our defence of their smalls but I think that's a risk we'll take and back our midfield.

I would much prefer Port play Esava in defence, than forward.

His unpredictable play causes issues in defence but he can be a handful on his day forward.

He was forced into defence and ruck at Geelong after we got Cameron and it was never his go.

Port have made the right call here.
The only thing that would concern me is if they drop Sav! Other than that I don’t mind where they play him 😳

Every side in the Finals will have a weakness , ours is clearly the midfield and the knock on effect of allowing teams to run away from stoppage and put pressure on our defence. We must at least breakeven and force ugly disposals else we will be scored against heavily. Pressure between the arcs will be pivotal.
I'd play SDK and Stanley with Stanley main ruck - SDK's patella is a huge risk despite the surgery , if we leave Stanley out and SDK breaks down we are kangaroo edward.
SDK comes in for Humphries ( if still injured) or Bews - that will weaken our defence of their smalls but I think that's a risk we'll take and back our midfield.

I like your post but I think they'll keep Humphries, good point about SDK coming back from injury.
Had to consult the urban dictionary on Kangaroo Edward. Thought it was a reference to North Melbourne.
It was, sort of..... KangaROO -TED (Edward). Very funny Aussie. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your post but I think they'll keep Humphries, good point about SDK coming back from injury.
Had to consult the urban dictionary on Kangaroo Edward. Thought it was a reference to North Melbourne.
It was, sort of..... KangaROO -TED (Edward). Very funny Aussie. :)
Agree Sam - Humphries is a lock for me also - just hoping he is over the achilles.....

My fingernails would like you to have another sleep and correct that to 6 goals. TIA
I was at work (I'm working during the game) and asked if they got up and colleague said yes by 6 points
Then I looked at the TV screen post match and Close had kicked a goal
(Just heard it's 100th game as well)

First time I've ever heard this phrase and absolutely bloody love it :tearsofjoy:

So you'd play all of Stanley, SDK, Blicavs, Neal, Cameron?
That's a lot of talls for a night time outdoor final. Kolo and Jack Henry are also 194, 195 or thereabouts.
The positives of our rucks are that each one is athletic and mobile.
I don't think the weather will be an issue tomorrow night
edit- they virtually all played in 22GF, Hawkins in for Neal, so it's not a crazy notion.

Last edited:
That's a lot of talls for a night time outdoor final. Kolo and Jack Henry are also 194, 195 or thereabouts.
Yes Vdubs - on balance I would - as you say our talls are also quite athletic.
Depending on how things go perhaps Stanley or SDK become the tactical sub.

All very mobile, going tall wouldn’t concern me, with a small to Sub in. Didn’t hurt the Dogs in the mud down here.

During 22 when we won the GF we played Hawkins, Stanley, Blics, Cameron, SDK, Kolo and Henry so how was that fine and now its to tall?
The only difference would be Neale for Hawkins

Now if you want to argue we shouldn't play 1 of them based on form that is a whole different ball game.

Last edited:
Hoyney on SEN says 80% of finals are chaos (ground ball) games…. Geelong want chaos and have instigated 14 games of chaos this season- the most in the league.
Port try to force chaos on the opposition and cats want it.
In 20/21 we were a control team with uncontested marks that didn’t hold up under finals pressure .
Give me chaos cats! Bust em up!

Why Geelong can win is interesting
Yeah just listened to it. Hoyney is great!

Pushing for selection? Yep, go on, play him. Has kicked 20 goals, 18 behinds this year. Almost a miss for every shot.
Zuth will push him into the ground.
Haha yeah I heard them talking about his "reason able" return of goals, including 15 assists, this year and I thought "Ollie Henry has nearly doubled him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back