Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree , watched the whole game yesterday and it was a terrible standard game

And if you used Richmond as a barometer when they had their 3 peat top notch side , the Tigers would have annihilated both Frem and Port yesterday by about 10-12 goals

So its not as though Geel are playing some superstar side in a fortnights time

Alot of posters are raving about their midfield , yes JHF is a dangerous and clever player , However with Rozee before he had those injury problems/concerns he was playing dynamic football , i dont think he presently is

Geel i believe have a got a good/decent chance of winning . Biggest problem for Geel and for supporters barracking for the Cats , is for some bizarre reason in alot of games from quarter to quarter their form flucuates dramatically - if they could just put together 4 consistent quarters it would give you alot more confidence that they could win
I am not confident in this game, but that has much more to do with my opinion of Geelong (we are a decent team, but in most years we would not be a top 4 side) than it does about Port (Port are a flawed side that may luck themselves into contention in a weak season).

JHF is clearly their most damaging player right now. Rozee was largely anonymous yesterday and Butters was not damaging. They have become more reliant on players like Mead and Drew who are largely unproven and wines who is well past his best.

Port gave freo plenty of chances to take that game, and freo just played dumb footy. They seemed way too frantic, and had no composure. It really looked like the occasion for to them. Freo should have been 5 goals up half way through the second qtr.

If port are missing Houston and Farrell that will make it much harder for them to transition from defence to attack. If we can avoid getting slaughtered in the midfield we will have a chance, I think port will need to score from stoppages and will struggle to score on transition.

If port hand the sort of chances to Geelong that they have to freo, we won’t fumble them away like Freo did, but in Adelaide I suspect port will play better than they did yesterday.

Agree with that, but you have to give at least some credit to Port for Freo being so fumbly - their pressure was enormous all match. If Port bring the same heat against us, particularly with the crowd behind them, I worry we might see our players get the fumbles as well.
I don’t know about that. Port’s pressure was decent (please don’t reference the “pressure index” that is a garbage black box stat) but freo just had no composure. I think it was more about freo being bad than ports pressure being overwhelming.

As with every game, the midfield battle is huge but (probably related) Aliir is just as big an issue. He has been a brick wall the past few years playing Port - how do we stop him from intercepting everything?

By having out third tall be a genuine leading threat and actually kicking to that threat.

2022 Gary Rohan role basically.
Cats rely on out-scoring the opposition.
Precision delivery to forwards is essential.
Great when rebounding turnovers quickly.
Breaks down under pressure.. high balls

atm: Cats forwards are mis-functioning
All Cats forwards are leading.. inc. Neale
Defenders read the kick, then intercept.

If SDK returns, play Blitz defensive Fwd.
Instruction : Stop all defensive intercepts.
Bring ball down to Cats small forwards
Alternate strategy is an Intercept Forward
Rotate : SDK Danger Stewart as Int.Fwd.
Other forwards need to block for each other
ie: Flying for mark b/w Teammate and Def.

We went better after subbing off Stanley in the second quarter bringing on Mullin to tag JHF which worked only 11 disposals in the second half Scott will need to wrestle with that thought for a fortnight.
True, but also just using our primary midfield set up - which compared to that time includes Dangerfield, Stewart, Bruhn and Bowes - could be a point of difference in its own right.

Atkins is in better form than he was back then, as well.

I'd be tempted to hard tag both Butters and JHF, even though that's not the done thing (plus I'm not sure who would be doing the tagging tbh - O'Connor and someone else?). But if either of them get off the chain we're in strife. If they both have bad games Port are no chance of winning.

No Farrell and Houston is a big help, as they are Port's running power and best kicks, so no excuse really.

No matter what happens with the remainder of this year, all I want for Christmas is to not lose to the Hawks in week 2. Yikes.

I don't think we can afford to have both of any of these pairings in the same team against Port, so:
Duncan or 2E
SDK or Stanley
Mullin or Bews
Rohan or OHenry
(also need a sub with genuine speed)

In all seriousness my big worry is Duncan and Tuohy.

I have footy trauma from watching Henderson get horribly exposed for being old and slow in a QF against the power a few years ago. I don't want to see it happen to one of those guys.

Trouble is I just don't think Mullin is up to it yet. And Bewsy is out of favour. O'Connor's injured?

I dunno it's a big worry for mine.
Could be worse, they could play Clark instead. Next year perhaps.

I am not confident in this game, but that has much more to do with my opinion of Geelong (we are a decent team, but in most years we would not be a top 4 side) than it does about Port (Port are a flawed side that may luck themselves into contention in a weak season).

JHF is clearly their most damaging player right now. Rozee was largely anonymous yesterday and Butters was not damaging. They have become more reliant on players like Mead and Drew who are largely unproven and wines who is well past his best.

Port gave freo plenty of chances to take that game, and freo just played dumb footy. They seemed way too frantic, and had no composure. It really looked like the occasion for to them. Freo should have been 5 goals up half way through the second qtr.

If port are missing Houston and Farrell that will make it much harder for them to transition from defence to attack. If we can avoid getting slaughtered in the midfield we will have a chance, I think port will need to score from stoppages and will struggle to score on transition.

If port hand the sort of chances to Geelong that they have to freo, we won’t fumble them away like Freo did, but in Adelaide I suspect port will play better than they did yesterday.

Port are a free running team
Prefer fast, no bruise football
Freo game was High pressure
Cats will bring Elite pressure.
Every possession is contested
Cats better handle physical game
Make them rush, lose composure
This will slow their transition
Create turnovers and opportunities
Cats better handle mental pressure
Have many grand finalist players
Cats won't choke playing away
Wet weather will further favour Cats

Only questions are :
Can Cats sustain it?
Who is in better form?

I know one of the big talking points for fans is whether or not we see Hawkins return come finals - we know he started the season strong but he did go through a though period following game #350

I decided to look a bit more into Hawkins stats for the season, and then in comparison to how Neale has been going - I've broken Hawkins stats down to two blocks, rounds 1 -> 3, then rounds 4 -> 15. Round 3 was Hawkins 350th with round 4 being the start of his 4 game goalless run

These are how his averages work out across those periods:

Rounds 1->3:
Disposals - 10.67
Marks - 4
Goals - 3
Goal assists - 0.33
Score involvements - 6

Rounds 4 -> 15:
Disposals - 8.56
Marks - 2.56
Goals - 0.67
Goal assists - 0.44
Score involvements - 3.67

Neale:
Disposals - 9.1
Marks - 3.7
Goals - 1.62
Goal assists - 0.5
Score involvements - 4.9

There's no doubting that Hawkins at his best is an asset and would be a first choice selection - the question that needs to be asked though is, IF Hawkins is selected for our first final after no football for 11 weeks, does he return close to his very early season form, or is it more like the form we saw prior to his injury?

And while Neale's stats may not be mind-blowing, he gives us 4 Cats in the top 50 for goal averages & going at over 1.5 goals per game. He also doesn't need to be the match winner off his own boot - his consistency will have value in a forward line that includes the likes of Cameron, Henry & Stengle... Besides, you just never know when a 22yr old may have a breakout game

From my perspective, I think emotion needs to be removed from the decision on whether or not we see #26 take to the field during finals - when doing that, it's hard to see how you select a player that was unfortunately clearly struggling prior to their injury and hope that after 3 months of no football that they've suddenly regained their missing form

I'm getting behind Neale and backing him in this finals series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly since Dangerfield came into the side against Carlton, Geelong have been 3rd or 4th in the comp for scoring differential from centre clearances (we were 11th before that).

It is a strength of Port's too who I think rank even higher.

But let's not pretend we are going in with the midfield against them last time: Blicavs, Cam Guthrie, Atkins, O'Connor and Parfitt.
I think the addition of stewart into the mix makes a difference as well.

My main goal is for our mids to nullify the quality clearances of their mids. If we let them stroll out giving silver service, we are in a world of trouble. Make their disposals long high and to packs.

I think the addition of stewart into the mix makes a difference as well.

My main goal is for our mids to nullify the quality clearances of their mids. If we let them stroll out giving silver service, we are in a world of trouble. Make their disposals long high and to packs.

Who plays on JHF?

I know one of the big talking points for fans is whether or not we see Hawkins return come finals - we know he started the season strong but he did go through a though period following game #350

I decided to look a bit more into Hawkins stats for the season, and then in comparison to how Neale has been going - I've broken Hawkins stats down to two blocks, rounds 1 -> 3, then rounds 4 -> 15. Round 3 was Hawkins 350th with round 4 being the start of his 4 game goalless run

These are how his averages work out across those periods:

Rounds 1->3:
Disposals - 10.67
Marks - 4
Goals - 3
Goal assists - 0.33
Score involvements - 6

Rounds 4 -> 15:
Disposals - 8.56
Marks - 2.56
Goals - 0.67
Goal assists - 0.44
Score involvements - 3.67

Neale:
Disposals - 9.1
Marks - 3.7
Goals - 1.62
Goal assists - 0.5
Score involvements - 4.9

There's no doubting that Hawkins at his best is an asset and would be a first choice selection - the question that needs to be asked though is, IF Hawkins is selected for our first final after no football for 11 weeks, does he return close to his very early season form, or is it more like the form we saw prior to his injury?

And while Neale's stats may not be mind-blowing, he gives us 4 Cats in the top 50 for goal averages & going at over 1.5 goals per game. He also doesn't need to be the match winner off his own boot - his consistency will have value in a forward line that includes the likes of Cameron, Henry & Stengle... Besides, you just never know when a 22yr old may have a breakout game

From my perspective, I think emotion needs to be removed from the decision on whether or not we see #26 take to the field during finals - when doing that, it's hard to see how you select a player that was unfortunately clearly struggling prior to their injury and hope that after 3 months of no football that they've suddenly regained their missing form

I'm getting behind Neale and backing him in this finals series
Ditto Cam Guthrie.Both break glass options.

Stewart, Bowes, or Mullin.

Some will lose their shit about Mullin being discussed, but it's not out the question IMO.

He won't give us anything offensively, but if he can limit JHF from 'matchwinner' to just 'solid contributor' then that's a win for us.

I actually had the same thought.

He did a good shut down job 2 weeks ago, and Holmes aside, he's the only one with the pace to keep up with JHF imo.

If there's any team to go small in defence against then Port is it.

I feel like Marshall, Georgiadis and Rioli can kill us with movement. I'd prefer to go in small and risk Sav or Dixon or Visentini clunking a bunch of contested marks than see Blicavs, SDK, Henry and Kolo all in the same backline with Rioli, Rozee and JHF running rings around them.

But that means one of SDK, Stanley or Blicavs gets left out. If SDK is right (big question) then Stanley's the only real choice.

Dixon is cooked and sav is a giant spud (i hope they play dixon forward and sav back as it will help us win) but im not sure id trust sdk rucking in this. Stanley for me.

I actually had the same thought.

He did a good shut down job 2 weeks ago, and Holmes aside, he's the only one with the pace to keep up with JHF imo.

Bowes can do the job. I think mullin is too green for this game.

There’s some big selection calls that need to be made for our finals campaign.
I don’t think Blicavs can play anywhere except backline or ruck anymore. If Dekoning comes back either Blicavs or Stanley have to come out. If Blicavs is out Dekoning plays back or if Stanley is out Dekoning plays ruck.
We can’t play Tuohy and Duncan, I’d be leaving out Duncan.
Obviously hawkins or Neale, Neale hasn’t done enough to make it his spot but it’d change how we’ve been playing if Hawkins comes back in.
Rohan and Henry have both been poor, Henry got back in the goals on Saturday hopefully that gives him some confidence. Rohan is a great sub option if he doesn’t make the team.
Some tough decisions to be made on some servants of the club. There aren’t a lot of players banging the door down in the vfl to replace but if they get these calls right we can have a big September.

I don't think we can afford to have both of any of these pairings in the same team against Port, so:
Duncan or 2E
SDK or Stanley
Mullin or Bews
Rohan or OHenry
(also need a sub with genuine speed)
Or drop blicavs and play both stanley and sdk. Stanley has been near best on ground in 2 of his last 3 games. To drop him would be madness.

And sdk is better then blicavs in both defence and as the second ruck at the moment. Hard decisions need to be made on blicavs if sdk is fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back