Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read a second call for stanley to get dropped in this thread. Whats going on?

Have I entered the twilight zone where we are all subconciously conditioned to think we should play the first final without a ruckman? We have done it four times in the last 10 years and everytime the opposition ruckman destroys us and is best on ground. But because our MC keeps doing it despite it backfiring everytime we now think its the right thing to do?

Stanleys dominant ruck work won us the game against freo at subi. We lose that game if its sdk and blicavs rucking. Against the eagles he was clear second best on ground behind only cameron who kicked 9.

He is quite possibly our most in form player heading into finals. To consider dropping him is twilight zone stuff.

I think maybe with Stanley they've done an Ottens and just got him right for this time of year or it's simply an anomaly and/or pure luck what we have got out of him since he returned.

The drop him would be madness but then again very on point for CS at this time of year.

I think we'd beat the hawks but not the dogs. And if we can't beat Port or the dogs, that probably says where our team is REALLY at.
We've probably overperformed this season.
Agree, likely overperformed- many have said that for a while. Overperformed to be 7-0, then underperformed with those losses mid year. But overall, we seem to be a 6-8 team. Yet you can say that for 6 teams in the 8 this year, if not all of them. If Swans are the team to beat, how do they lose by 20 goals or so v Port? How does Brisbane and Hawthorn lose so many early games?

I don't think Port are unbeatable for us, but they would be deserved outright favourites, and everything would have to go right for us to win. Danger, JC, Stanley, Stewart, Blicavs, Bruhn, Stengle, Close, OH and our defence would ALL have to have good games. The supply to Port's forwards is going to be constant with that MF they have.

So a win, with another recovery week would be perfect for our list. Then I could see us win a flag v an interstate team.

Not sure about the Hawks and Dogs- that really would be a when not who scenario for me. Those teams would be in form, pumped by their win, and buoyed up enough to beat us.

Our only way out of this is to absolutely make this Port game our most important GOTY, and to win it.

Stanley is yet again a key player for us, even as he fatigues. He is a weapon and can get us going. The very fact that he remains our best ruck option is a statement of where we are at, but that is how it is.

Posted this in another thread but needs another posting

Players who played Port and didn’t play on the weekend against WC

Rohan
Hawkins
Mullin “Sub”
Parfitt
O’Connor
Clark
SDK
Guthrie

Players who played against WC on the weekend who didn’t play against Port last time

Neale
Mannagh
2E
Dangerfield
Humphries
Bowes
Bruhn
Bews”Sub”
When you swap SDK and probably Bews…

That is a demonstrably better “ins” than outs

We also didnt have Stewart in the middle I don’t think?

Was the infamous day when teams realised he was easily tagged as a backman
And they will do it again. Not sure if playing in the middle fixes everything but maybe it throws out PA structure a bit more.

The other big issue that I am not sure we have an answer for is Rioli…he kicked 4 goals against us and is in good form now.

Maybe this is why they have kept Bews in but I just dont know how we match up? Mullin back? Or can we put one of our mid size (zuth or henry?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, likely overperformed- many have said that for a while. Overperformed to be 7-0, then underperformed with those losses mid year. But overall, we seem to be a 6-8 team. Yet you can say that for 6 teams in the 8 this year, if not all of them. If Swans are the team to beat, how do they lose by 20 goals or so v Port? How does Brisbane and Hawthorn lose so many early games?

I don't think Port are unbeatable for us, but they would be deserved outright favourites, and everything would have to go right for us to win. Danger, JC, Stanley, Stewart, Blicavs, Bruhn, Stengle, Close, OH and our defence would ALL have to have good games. The supply to Port's forwards is going to be constant with that MF they have.

So a win, with another recovery week would be perfect for our list. Then I could see us win a flag v an interstate team.

Not sure about the Hawks and Dogs- that really would be a when not who scenario for me. Those teams would be in form, pumped by their win, and buoyed up enough to beat us.

Our only way out of this is to absolutely make this Port game our most important GOTY, and to win it.
I've said it for a while that barely anything split 2nd through 13th depending on whether the given team turned up or not on the day. And then Sydney fell in a heap so you could even throw them in.

Thus the idea of "Geelong feels like a 6-8 type team" simply doesn't make sense. Every finalist feels like a 1-8 team where their best for 3-4 weeks could win a flag and their worst could see them lose any final. Trying to predict which team will hit and maintain an electric run of form is silly. We're just going to have to wait and see. It certainly could be us.

I watched the extended highlights of our loss to Port at KP, so you don’t have to.

Rioli absolutely torched us. He and JHF were the main factors in them getting such a big lead. Rioli had absolutely no opponent anywhere near him in any of his first half plays - three goals and set up another to Finlayson. He is their most dangerous forward and we have to treat him as such.

Farrell was important with two big goals from outside 50m at important moments - happy to see him miss this week.

Hawk had 7 touches and just one shot at goal, am confident Neale will provide more than Hawk was at that point.

Jez kicked one and his heat map shows half of his 18 touches were in the defensive half. This was during the ‘roaming Jez’ phase and surely he will play closer to home in the QF.

As others have pointed out, our midfield was completely depleted with Dangerfield and Bruhn missing, Bowes the sub and Stewart yet to move into the middle. Our prime mids in this game were Cam Guth (16 touches), Atkins (16), Blicavs (14), Parfitt (13) and Clark (11). Butters, Wines, JHF and Drew had 25+. On paper it was a miracle we got close in the end. Their midfield should still comfortably beat ours in the QF but we will absolutely be more competitive than we were that night.

I just read a second call for stanley to get dropped in this thread. Whats going on?

Have I entered the twilight zone where we are all subconciously conditioned to think we should play the first final without a ruckman? We have done it four times in the last 10 years and everytime the opposition ruckman destroys us and is best on ground. But because our MC keeps doing it despite it backfiring everytime we now think its the right thing to do?

Stanleys dominant ruck work won us the game against freo at subi. We lose that game if its sdk and blicavs rucking. Against the eagles he was clear second best on ground behind only cameron who kicked 9.

He is quite possibly our most in form player heading into finals. To consider dropping him is twilight zone stuff.
He’s had a good couple of weeks but he’s also had some horrible performances this year. They were so bad he had to be subbed out and the team was transformed without him on the field. It’s great he’s been able to come back and contribute to the team but we can’t go into the finals blind to the fact he may also offer the other Stanley at any time.

It’s a bit of a line call in my opinion but I don’t think they can play Dekoning, Blicavs and Stanley in the same team.

I watched the extended highlights of our loss to Port at KP, so you don’t have to.

Rioli absolutely torched us. He and JHF were the main factors in them getting such a big lead. Rioli had absolutely no opponent anywhere near him in any of his first half plays - three goals and set up another to Finlayson. He is their most dangerous forward and we have to treat him as such.

Farrell was important with two big goals from outside 50m at important moments - happy to see him miss this week.

Hawk had 7 touches and just one shot at goal, am confident Neale will provide more than Hawk was at that point.

Jez kicked one and his heat map shows half of his 18 touches were in the defensive half. This was during the ‘roaming Jez’ phase and surely he will play closer to home in the QF.

As others have pointed out, our midfield was completely depleted with Dangerfield and Bruhn missing, Bowes the sub and Stewart yet to move into the middle. Our prime mids in this game were Cam Guth (16 touches), Atkins (16), Blicavs (14), Parfitt (13) and Clark (11). Butters, Wines, JHF and Drew had 25+. On paper it was a miracle we got close in the end. Their midfield should still comfortably beat ours in the QF but we will absolutely be more competitive than we were that night.

Good lord those stats from our whole midfield is disgusting!

Nobody's saying not to play a ruck. We just think SDK is a superior ruck to Stanley and he was very ordinary in defence for most of the year.

So yeah if SDK is right I'm picking him over Stanley as number 1 ruck.

Last edited:
One of the biggest question marks for me is if the MC will pick Neale over Hawkins. Not convinced they will and I think I’d lean towards Neale after he kicked 1+ goals in every game but I’m not convinced it’s a clear decision.

If Hawk has been training and gotten fit (?) I suspect it will be a big question at the club over the next fortnight.

I'm a Brad Close fan, but I can't believe his name isn't getting brought up.! Been very poor lately. He needs to get his arse back into gear
Is one of the hardest workers and consistently in our top few for kms run and sprints but I agree. We have too many small forwards and Mannagh is nearly undroppable now (as are the other running/pressure smalls in Gryan and Stengle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back