Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there’s almost no chance they pick Hawkins against port. You can’t after such a big layoff and considering his so-so form earlier in the year.

But I’m more interested in our next game. If Neale is anonymous against port and we lose, I think there’s some chance they bring back Hawkins for the semi.
They would be to play Hawkins in the vfl for a half at least. I guess we'll know when that team sheet drops

When you swap SDK and probably Bews…

That is a demonstrably better “ins” than outs

We also didnt have Stewart in the middle I don’t think?

After giving away the free kick & 50m penalty from frustration, we shifted Stewart to the wing but he was pretty useless in that role

The main thing I want to see from Stewart against Port, is that when they inevitable tag him, is that he doesn’t lose his cool giving away stupid free kicks

They would be to play Hawkins in the vfl for a half at least. I guess we'll know when that team sheet drops

They won't do that, never have. It's either Go or No. Leaving all else aside- As far as accuracy is concerned, I know whose giant hands I'd rather have on the ball and kicking for a winning goal with a minute to go. Or in the Fwd ruck, for that matter.

Okay, the fat lady is warming up for the champion Hawk's day being done, and of course you'd say who gets dropped - but if he's healthy you just never ever know.

Mate I know you love Neale but if Hawkins can make a case that he’s match fit they can and may. I reckon Hawk would need to do a lot of running and proving himself but Stanley’s late-season form makes me wonder what Scotty means by getting the squad right at the right time of year.

Our first final will be 11 weeks since Tom’s injury - unless he plays VFL for the next couple of weeks, how exactly does he show himself to be match fit?

Putting in a solid block on the training track may help to show he’s over the injury, but that really doesn’t mean squat in terms of match fitness and that only comes from playing

The Rioli matchup is a huge concern for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is like a pick pocket at the races , it goes through the goals before youve even realised it

A very clever player and could kick multiple goals in any of their final matches

Which Geel player played on him at KP earlier in the year

I'd love to be wrong, but I think we get touched up by seven goals.

I'm not going to this one. Puffer supporters were too insufferable last finals loss, and this has shades of that final all over again.

If we win, I think we can make the Grand Final. Lose, and I think it's straight sets.

Stanley is yet again a key player for us, even as he fatigues. He is a weapon and can get us going. The very fact that he remains our best ruck option is a statement of where we are at, but that is how it is.

I agree.

It is interesting because his body is just about dome but if he can eke out another month we could pinch a flag.

Me too. I know many have moved in from him but I think bewsy might have one last assignment this year

You have to trust zuthrie as bews is cooked (id like it if we had oconnor available but it is what it is).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pray Esava plays because you just know he will go to water under the pressure

I hope he plays back. With the right delivery we will make him have some howlers (i feel sorry for him but we need to win this premiership).

After giving away the free kick & 50m penalty from frustration, we shifted Stewart to the wing but he was pretty useless in that role

The main thing I want to see from Stewart against Port, is that when they inevitable tag him, is that he doesn’t lose his cool giving away stupid free kicks

Vs Port last, for us- Stewart had the third most kicks (14) behind Cameron (15) and Zuthrie (17) .
He's now had time to become comfortable with the role, and I doubt he'll fail to do what is asked.
And Houston went really well. Bad luck (or discipline) he'll be watching from the side.

In goal kicking, Rioli was countered by Stengle at our end. We fought back and only lost by one straight goal.
We go in very differently enhanced and this will not be a lay down misere for them.

You have to trust zuthrie as bews is cooked (id like it if we had oconnor available but it is what it is).
I think Bews was OK when he finally started playing. Zuthrie going one on one with Rioli I think means we'll struggle to play Stewart on ball and if we can't do that then I don't know how we get close through the middle

My faith at work: Zuth absolutely smacked it in the second half against them last time.
Right now he's peaking too, becoming a very canny player and will have learned from that experience.

Nobody's saying not to play a ruck. We just think SDK is a superior ruck to Stanley and he was very ordinary in defence for most of the year.

So yeah if SDK is right I'm picking him over Stanley as number 1 ruck.
SDK now lacks match fitness, and Stanley has form. Very much disagree with you. DeK does not know when or how to jump at a ruck contest- his time will come but not for this final imho.

Nobody's saying not to play a ruck. We just think SDK is a superior ruck to Stanley and he was very ordinary in defence for most of the year.

So yeah if SDK is right I'm picking him over Stanley as number 1 ruck.
Based off what though? Sdk was good around the ground but he was thumped in the ruckwork. We were losing hit outs 50 to 25 when it was sdk and blicavs. Stanley has been giving us first use of the ball. The underappreciation of ruckwork just staggers me. Sdk is a second ruck. As is blicavs. Stanley is the only first ruck we have fit.

Based off what though? Sdk was good around the ground but he was thumped in the ruckwork. We were losing hit outs 50 to 25 when it was sdk and blicavs. Stanley has been giving us first use of the ball. The underappreciation of ruckwork just staggers me. Sdk is a second ruck. As is blicavs. Stanley is the only first ruck we have fit.
Would have to check but pretty sure we won the clearances when he was rucking. Regardless of whether he got credited with a hit out or seemed like an on/off switch where we'd send in blitz and start getting thumped

Charlie Dixon will return for this game.

Watched the Port game Sunday with a fair bit of interest. Their midfield was the obvious strong point, and their defence was well structured behind the ball. They play a similar style to us in bang it forward and lock it in. Freo had plenty of opportunities in transition, but just lacked execution, and fwd line targets, minus Tracey.
Outside of Rioli Port lack any decent small-mid fwds. And outside of Georgiades their talls are poor. Their defence minus Houston is bog standard. They will have to get creative with Cameron cause neither Allir or ZT can go with him.
Yes. Their midfield is class. But the game won’t be played out of the centre square, and we have some elite players from both half’s of the ground pushing into contests to create pressure and spread.
I’m a lot more confident than most on here heading into this game. I think our game plan is cherry ripe for finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back