Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So? People don't need to be told that they are underestimating the opposition. It's abrasive and insulting. Respect is being shown, threats acknowledged, and as Geelong supporters, we also look for positive angles as well. If that's unpalatable then then I don't know what to say. Repeating over and over "we just can't win this" isn't how I will ever go into a game.
What is certain is that the players and coaches will absolutely believe they can win. Not from stupid faith…they will respect the quality of opposition and the home ground advantage…and no doubt their relative strength in the MF….but will steel themselves to try and take those advantages away and exploit our advantage at either end of the ground.

If the players can have this attitude then I am happy to as a fan…know it will be tough, won’t ignore our relative weaknesses but look forward to supporting the team have a crack and believe (genuinely) that we can win

What is certain is that the players and coaches will absolutely believe they can win. Not from stupid faith…they will respect the quality of opposition and the home ground advantage…and no doubt their relative strength in the MF….but will steel themselves to try and take those advantages away and exploit our advantage at either end of the ground.

If the players can have this attitude then I am happy to as a fan…know it will be tough, won’t ignore our relative weaknesses but look forward to supporting the team have a crack and believe (genuinely) that we can win
Absolutely agree. Both teams finished where they did on the ladder for a reason and this game will come down to who takes their opportunities when they present. If we are competitive in the MF we will be a big chance to come out on top given our system and forward line potentcy but again, we must take our opportunities.

I know I'm in the minority here, but if fit I'd play both Hawkins and Neale. Think there is a chance to stretch the powers backline. I think they will send Aliir to Jez again and if that's a success for Port, Jez may need to head up the ground to be an impact.

In that scenario it would be good for Hawkins to be a goal square presence against someone not as strong like zerg thatcher, with Neale roaming 40 meters up.

I'd also play Neale as the back up ruck for the 25% of the game Stanley is on the bench.

I wonder if Scott will ponder using Blicvas for a hard tag on Horne Francis. To stop him you need a big athletic body that can run well...and you absolutely need a plan for JHF or he will kill us again.

So if Blitz is possibly tagging, would be handy for Neale to be there to play 25% ruck, maybe 40% forward. With Hawkins the true goal square full forward and Jez roaming where he wants. You'd still have majority of game with 2 or 3 crumbing forwards plus OH, factoring bench rotations.

Think Port would struggle to contain that.

Are you dropping Cameron to play Hawkins & Neale, or dropping another forward like Henry to accommodate a forward structure we already know doesn't work?

We've tried the 3 x KPFs earlier this year against GWS, Richmond & Sydney, with goal returns from our KPFs of:
Cameron - 1, 1 & 2
Hawkins - 2, 2 & 1
Neale - 1, 2 & 1 (plus subbed off)

We also lost two of those matches with the only win coming against the wooden spooners

Let's then factor this in about Cameron and unnecessarily shifting him to a roaming role: "Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season."

IF Cameron is averaging over 6 shots at goal since moving to FF, why would we now want to move him from that position - he's shown how dangerous he is when one out in defence, so surely that's something we want to try to exploit during finals

And while Hawkins may be stronger than BZT, we rarely saw Hawkins able to out muscle an opponent over his last 9 matches prior to his injury - instead, we did see opponents frequently work off Hawkins to instead double team Cameron & Henry because they weren't viewing Hawkins as the same threat he previously was considered, and Hawkins wasn't able to make them pay when the opportunity did present

After not playing for 11 weeks, has Hawkins suddenly regained the form & touch he had lost prior to injury?

Are you dropping Cameron to play Hawkins & Neale, or dropping another forward like Henry to accommodate a forward structure we already know doesn't work?

We've tried the 3 x KPFs earlier this year against GWS, Richmond & Sydney, with goal returns from our KPFs of:
Cameron - 1, 1 & 2
Hawkins - 2, 2 & 1
Neale - 1, 2 & 1 (plus subbed off)

We also lost two of those matches with the only win coming against the wooden spooners

Let's then factor this in about Cameron and unnecessarily shifting him to a roaming role: "Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season."

IF Cameron is averaging over 6 shots at goal since moving to FF, why would we now want to move him from that position - he's shown how dangerous he is when one out in defence, so surely that's something we want to try to exploit during finals

And while Hawkins may be stronger than BZT, we rarely saw Hawkins able to out muscle an opponent over his last 9 matches prior to his injury - instead, we did see opponents frequently work off Hawkins to instead double team Cameron & Henry because they weren't viewing Hawkins as the same threat he previously was considered, and Hawkins wasn't able to make them pay when the opportunity did present

After not playing for 11 weeks, has Hawkins suddenly regained the form & touch he had lost prior to injury?
I would be playing Hawk in the VFL in case he is needed

But i wouldn't be playing him unless Neale and or Cameron are out injured/suspended

I would be playing Hawk in the VFL in case he is needed

But i wouldn't be playing him unless Neale and or Cameron are out injured/suspended

This is where I'm a little divided on things

Based on what we've seen across the season, Cameron, Neale & O. Henry would be my first choice selections for the forward line heading into finals

As you said, we'd love Hawkins to be available IF something happened to either Cameron or Neale, but even then I might preference Rohan as next in line

This is where I'm conflicted - I don't see how even in a 'break glass' situation that we can select Hawkins with no football under his belt for 3 months and can see the benefit of giving him a run in the VFL. BUT, I'd hate if the last time we saw Hawkins was him "running" around in the Bankers uniform

Amazing after years complaining our defence is too tall suddenly everyone wants all of SDK, Blicavs, J Henry and Kolo to play back there.

Also seeing lots of calls for Duncan and Tuohy to be dropped and Bews to be included.

Hard to see much rebound out of defence if we go with that lineup.

I know I'm in the minority here, but if fit I'd play both Hawkins and Neale. Think there is a chance to stretch the powers backline. I think they will send Aliir to Jez again and if that's a success for Port, Jez may need to head up the ground to be an impact.

In that scenario it would be good for Hawkins to be a goal square presence against someone not as strong like zerg thatcher, with Neale roaming 40 meters up.

I'd also play Neale as the back up ruck for the 25% of the game Stanley is on the bench.

I wonder if Scott will ponder using Blicvas for a hard tag on Horne Francis. To stop him you need a big athletic body that can run well...and you absolutely need a plan for JHF or he will kill us again.

So if Blitz is possibly tagging, would be handy for Neale to be there to play 25% ruck, maybe 40% forward. With Hawkins the true goal square full forward and Jez roaming where he wants. You'd still have majority of game with 2 or 3 crumbing forwards plus OH, factoring bench rotations.

Think Port would struggle to contain that.
Having talls won't stretch anything if you long bomb it. Don't think it's the answer. Hawkins won't be ready to play anyway

Not related to the upcoming game, but just went down to GMHBA stadium for the 'meet the players' thing.

I went there with my son - they were so good, happy to sign the footy and take photos, it was fantastic by the club.

Cameron is such a character!
when they said "selected players" my cyncical view was that it might not include some of our fav...but Jezza turning up certainly would make it worthwhile for those like you who went

get any selection insights!! :D

Based on what we've seen across the season, Cameron, Neale & O. Henry would be my first choice selections for the forward line heading into finals

As you said, we'd love Hawkins to be available IF something happened to either Cameron or Neale, but even then I might preference Rohan as next in line

This is where I'm conflicted - I don't see how even in a 'break glass' situation that we can select Hawkins with no football under his belt for 3 months and can see the benefit of giving him a run in the VFL. BUT, I'd hate if the last time we saw Hawkins was him "running" around in the Bankers uniform
I love the man but if you take the emotion out of it the path forward is very clear cut

Amazing after years complaining our defence is too tall suddenly everyone wants all of SDK, Blicavs, J Henry and Kolo to play back there.

Also seeing lots of calls for Duncan and Tuohy to be dropped and Bews to be included.

Hard to see much rebound out of defence if we go with that lineup.
I think that is our biggest challenge (sorry outside of the MF of course) - at least selection wise.

I am also troubled by the notion of having Kolo, Henry, SDK and Blitz in defence (as well as Zuthrie). And that is not counting Stewart dropping back...

But I am not sure where I want Blitz. To me (and I LOVE him) he has had a relatively poor year inside and on the Wing - but better in the Ruck and IMO much better when he went into defence. But that was without SDK.

And at at the same time Stanley I think has done ok (although that makes me nervous)...

So I don't know what to do with Blitz. Just default back to wing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm one that's against the idea of a KPP being sub - especially suggestions that Hawkins could be an impactful sub during finals

But Blicavs isn't your traditional KPP - could he be a sub candidate, especially if SDK returns & we continue with Stanley in the ruck?

He'd offer an element of versatility, and could go into the ruck if needed or move into defence if a shuffle of players is required

when they said "selected players" my cyncical view was that it might not include some of our fav...but Jezza turning up certainly would make it worthwhile for those like you who went

get any selection insights!! :D
Ha ha - yeah I had the same thought initially.

Danger, Cameron, Duncan, Henry x2, Bews, Close, Kolo, Parfitt were all signing autographs and posing for photos.

Z Guthrie was having a kick with O Henry, I briefly saw Stengle and Kolo out there.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I didn't see Tom Stewart - but many others were not there and we did leave a bit early.

My son got autographs / photos from most of the above - Stewart is his favourite, but he had to settle with a photo and autograph from his second favourite, Jeremy Cameron :p.

The players were outstanding - so friendly and asking my son questions. They really made him feel special.

I might be wrong but isn't there a rule about player who have played a majority of the season in the seniors without prior VFL games in the season not being eligible to play finals?

I might be wrong but isn't there a rule about player who have played a mority of the season in the seniors without prior VFL games in the season not being eligible to play finals?

VFL finals eligibility rules change depending on if the senior team is still live in the finals

If the seniors are live, then it's essentially open selection for the VFL team, with the exception being when the seniors have a finals bye - so the pre-finals bye or winning the QF. In that situation, players who lined up in the seniors the previous weekend are ineligible to play the next VFL final:
- so any players who ran out against WCE on the weekend aren't eligible to face Werribee in this weekend's VFL QF

When the senior team is out of finals is when games played comes into things, and based on available information:
- 3 VFL games no more than 12 AFL games IF the affiliated AFL side are no longer in finals

Probably stating the obvious, but if Jezza has a night out like he did against the Eagles last week, we will be up to our eyeballs in this.

As we know. he (and Rohan) won us the QF off his own boot ls in 2022. Hoping for a similar performance this time round 💪.
Yes, but in 22, we were clearly the best team in it, as we were in 07, 08 Strange things can happen in this game as we we have seen all this year in particular. We will give it a crack, but this year, it might not be about us- JC will need a lot of help- relying on him and Danger has been our undoing many times. We all hope with the week off that our list is up and going.

I still feel as though Butters is their linchpin. He is not the most damaging but he's their Selwood. Drags them into gear if a game is not going as planned.
I'd be looking at putting a hard tag on Zak. Mullin could be that player as he won't get you any disposals himself but he has the power and speed to follow his opponent like a shadow.

This is not a game you can back our midfield in against there's. Game will be over at halftime if so.
you have to be kidding me mate

I think that is our biggest challenge (sorry outside of the MF of course) - at least selection wise.

I am also troubled by the notion of having Kolo, Henry, SDK and Blitz in defence (as well as Zuthrie). And that is not counting Stewart dropping back...

But I am not sure where I want Blitz. To me (and I LOVE him) he has had a relatively poor year inside and on the Wing - but better in the Ruck and IMO much better when he went into defence. But that was without SDK.

And at at the same time Stanley I think has done ok (although that makes me nervous)...

So I don't know what to do with Blitz. Just default back to wing?
I think with Blitz is that he goes to wherever he's needed. If Stanley's having a poor one then we need Blitz and SdK to share the ruck duties while also helping out in defence particularly against Sav and Dixon. Previously Blitz is at his best when he runs all day. But that was before he picked up whatever it is that has forced him to become left foot preferred and less effective overall as a result.
Stanley has me nervous too but recent form has been excellent and this his is last hurrah (as with Reg, Bews, Dunc and probably Rohan) so I'm backing him (and the others) to give their all given the occasion and the prize of a Prelim at the G.

Looking forward to this game. It'll be a really solid test for us. It's gonna be tough. We're punching above our weight this year. But one thing that gives me hope for this finals campaign (and the future) is the list of players who are either working into good form or are notable positive additions to our regular team since the start of the year. Players like:
  • Jack Henry
  • Humphries
  • Mannagh
  • Bowes
  • Dangerfield
  • Dempsey
If we bring good pressure and have some good performances from key players like Cameron/Stengle, Stewart/Zuthrie, Holmes - in addition to those above - it feels like we're a chance.

Last edited:
you have to be kidding me mate

He's certainly a dominant midfielder but in terms of damaging, no, I rate other mids a bit more than Butters. Mids who kick more goals and have an influence in the air.

I still think Butters is the driving force of this team. Cut the head off the snake, make Rozee (playing hurt), JHF, Wines beat you.

Pretty confident we have you covered this time around.

He's certainly a dominant midfielder but in terms of damaging, no, I rate other mids a bit more than Butters. Mids who kick more goals and have an influence in the air.

I still think Butters is the driving force of this team. Cut the head off the snake, make Rozee (playing hurt), JHF, Wines beat you.

Pretty confident we have you covered this time around.
he is the 2nd best kick inside 50 when comparing the amount of inside 50 kicks to the amount your teamates mark. he is also the 2nd or 3rd highest inside 50's in our team. he is also top 5 in the comp for score involvments and has the 3rd amount of score assist over the last two years. he pulls off crazy kicks off the side of his but whilst being cool under pressure. this is damage, you dont have to kick the goals to be damaging, putting other teamates in the good positions and brigning everyone into the game and creating plays is as damaging.

What makes you so confident you will beat us this tine round? after all we have the best midfield in the comp, and the best backline over the last 8 weeks. Cameron has kicked 4 goals vs port last 3 games vs us, bergman has got the best of him in recent times. we will tag stewart aswell id imagine.

he is the 2nd best kick inside 50 when comparing the amount of inside 50 kicks to the amount your teamates mark. he is also the 2nd or 3rd highest inside 50's in our team. he is also top 5 in the comp for score involvments and has the 3rd amount of score assist over the last two years. he pulls off crazy kicks off the side of his but whilst being cool under pressure. this is damage, you dont have to kick the goals to be damaging, putting other teamates in the good positions and brigning everyone into the game and creating plays is as damaging.

What makes you so confident you will beat us this tine round? after all we have the best midfield in the comp, and the best backline over the last 8 weeks. Cameron has kicked 4 goals vs port last 3 games vs us, bergman has got the best of him in recent times. we will tag stewart aswell id imagine.

FWIW if there were one player in the comp I could bring to Geelong I think it would be Butters. Elite skills, forwards would be licking their lips everytime time he has the ball.

Do you still rate your backline number 1 without Houston and Farrell?

Sounds like you should win the premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back