Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know that at all judging by Guthrie's timid and lethargic efforts in midfield mid season. Look at him when subbed off in the Gold Coast game. Absolutely mentally cooked.

Duncan at least has 4 games this season in the coaches votes and has plenty of 20 disposal games. A poor months form doesn't magically mean his season prior was poor.

Im more than happy to be proven wrong, and that coaches will know best. But ive watched Duncan closely the last month, his efforts coming on as sub against saints was pretty pathetic. Been a while since I’ve seen a Geelong player squib contests like him in the back half of the season.

Im more than happy to be proven wrong, and that coaches will know best. But ive watched Duncan closely the last month, his efforts coming on as sub against saints was pretty pathetic. Been a while since I’ve seen a Geelong player squib contests like him in the back half of the season.
Guthrie has had one match all year where he looked above GFL level. Duncan's 2024 credits are 10x better than that.

Don't mistake slowness for lack of heart. I've seen Duncan try (and sometimes fail) to square 50/50s recently. Against St Kilda twice he put his body on the line soon after coming on.

I am.concerned about his last month but if they play him they are backing the chance of his round 1-18 form being on the cards. Mullin and Guthrie as replacements offer much worse reward to risk profiles.

I assume 1 of those I named will play AFL and not VFL. Possibly 2. It was more an exercise in what's possible than what's likely.

Stanley will either play the QF or get rested in case we lose. Cant see him in vfl.

It's ok, we clearly disagree, and that's fine.

But why would the answer be 'they didn't think the tagging role was a good approach?' Genuine question - what makes JHF the only star player worthy of tagging when we've played plenty of games this year where an oppo mid has been a factor in us losing the match?

And without opening up a can of works, I think the Hill example is a bad one for a few reasons. 1. I think his 'tagging role' is overstated on here anyway. But 2. Hill is a genuine B or C grader. It's be the same as someone tagging Tanner Bruhn against us. i.e., it hasn't happened, and if it did, I'd be happy but perplexed as to why an opposition team decided to ignore Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron etc. to go after one of our role players.
I don’t have a stake on JHF & Mullin but some gun players are definitely more taggable than others. After you get good enough to start copping a tag it takes time to work out how to break it.

Take it with a massive grain of salt, but Billy Brownless on MMM was saying Butters is in doubt for this game because of an eye infection. He backed it up by saying that Butters was supposed to do media today and he missed it.

I guess we'll shall see if it's true or not.

Take it with a massive grain of salt, but Billy Brownless on MMM was saying Butters is in doubt for this game because of an eye infection. He backed it up by saying that Butters was supposed to do media today and he missed it.

I guess we'll shall see if it's true or not.
That’s been shared many times today from various media outlets
So it’s true, he’s expected to play Thursday night though

Spot on, LH has basically assumed his role and is harder at and a better kick, others have a point of difference which would make us a more rounded team right now.

After the match against West Coast, they did a 10 minute bit on the top four teams and King had nothing positive to say about the team.
He praised Scott but he was bewildered Geelong made the top four.

Not a single mention by many in the media about Stengle (42 goals), Holmes (550 metres gained), Dempsey (Rising star), Atkins (top 10 for all defensive pressure stats).

The biggest factor for me has been the resurgence of Jack Henry as our primary defender. His past 4 weeks in particular have been elite.
If anyone had champion data statistics, would love to know where he currently ranks of all the key defenders heading into the finals.
When he plays well, Kolo feeds of that and we look so much more settled.
I wonder if Blics down back has helped Henry.

Spot on, LH has basically assumed his role and is harder at and a better kick, others have a point of difference which would make us a more rounded team right now.
Actually Humphries has taken Stewart's ground ball interceptor role and Henry is picking up the slack with Stewart's defensive marking.

Humphries in the side has therefore released Stewart into his defensive midfield sweeper role.

Take Duncan out and Stewart has to go back to defence. If Mullin is your proposed Duncan replacement I am incredibly grateful your name isn't Chris Scott.

I don’t have a stake on JHF & Mullin but some gun players are definitely more taggable than others. After you get good enough to start copping a tag it takes time to work out how to break it.

This is why Stewart will be prepared, he will only fall sucker to filthy Port tactics once. Several more tried it on him after that game, to varied, but not great, effect. Mullin has shown capacity as a tagger, and I feel his Irish game strengthens that ability, and his speed is awesome.
May squeeze in as sub, but to suggest he could replace the skills, leadership and experience of Duncan, especially while Stewart plays a downfield role, is pushing it. Yes Mitch has slowed, but still a penetrating kick out and knows the game plays like the back of his hand. Talk of his demise is exaggerated, trust the talent- too many newbies combined with injured players returning from long lay offs will stuff us.

One thing that stands out to me this year is how unstable our inside midfield rotation has been this year.
We have had 12 players play a game that was categorised as an inside midfield role, Port have had 6.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that stands out to me this year is how unstable our inside midfield rotation have been this year.
We have had 12 players play a game that was categorised as an inside midfield role, Port have a 6.
How stable since the Essendon game? Besides Bruhn and SDK getting injured I would have thought it's been fairly consistent.

Our previous set ups are irrelevant to this game unless you are counting on seeing the ghosts of Parfitt and Cam Guthrie.

One thing that stands out to me this year is how unstable our inside midfield rotation have been this year.
We have had 12 players play a game that was categorised as an inside midfield role, Port have a 6.

We demonstrated against the Hawks that if we get Dangerfield, Stewart, Bowes and Holmes all firing we can have an effective if unorthodox midfield group. That team didn’t include Bruhn whose hardness will suit finals. Add Atkins and Blicavs and it’s not a horrible group albeit probably lacking flair compared to other midfield groups.

How stable since the Essendon game? Besides Bruhn and SDK getting injured I would have thought it's been fairly consistent.

Our previous set ups are irrelevant to this game unless you are counting on seeing the ghosts of Parfitt and Cam Guthrie.

9 names, but three of those were one game and done.

Actually Humphries has taken Stewart's ground ball interceptor role and Henry is picking up the slack with Stewart's defensive marking.

Humphries in the side has therefore released Stewart into his defensive midfield sweeper role.

Take Duncan out and Stewart has to go back to defence. If Mullin is your proposed Duncan replacement I am incredibly grateful your name isn't Chris Scott.
Hung up on Mullin much..? Take Duncan out and we’re losing SFA on recent evidence, if you think Duncan has been any sort of replacement for Stewart your eyes must be painted on.

Hung up on Mullin much..? Take Duncan out and we’re losing SFA on recent evidence, if you think Duncan has been any sort of replacement for Stewart your eyes must be painted on.
I actually really like Mullin as a long term prospect, and don't hold rawness against him.

It's just crazy to suggest he is an upgrade over Duncan for this final.

Anyway your last sentence shows you basically have no idea how to comprehend basic English. Humphries has released Stewart to the midfield. If you take a rebounder out then Stewart would not be able to support midfield.

Last edited:
It's more his execution style. He flips from in love with a side to absolutely berating them on a whim and with overly dramatic statements. I think that aspect is played up a bit to bait emotional response.
Yeah listen to how often King uses definitive terms like 'never' or 'always', it's the frustrating thing about him because he offers no room for possibility or debate. It's just a sentence like
"when x club plays x player here, they will never win a final like that"

The flipflopping doesn't even annoy me as much as how he says his opinions like they're facts which is where he's baiting the emotional response

I actually really like Mullin as a long term prospect, and don't hold rawness against him.

Anyway your last sentence shows you basically have no idea how to comprehend basic English. Humphries has released Stewart to the midfield. If you take a rebounder out then Stewart would not be able to support midfield.

The coaches all get it. You don't. Best to just wait for the game and shout "kick the bloody ball!" as it seems that's closer to your knowledge level.
Haha no worries Einstein I hope Duncan kills it on Thursday I just don’t see it, let’s hope he’s as much as a warrior as you are on the keyboard.

The coaches all get it. You don't. Best to just wait for the game and shout "kick the bloody ball!" as it seems that's closer to your knowledge level.

It's funny how consistently and confidently wrong you are. The coaching staff doesn't simply swap one player for another, i.e. Humphries didn't take Stewart's role. Anyone that's been paying any kind of attention can see Humphries plays a much more defensive role down back than Stewart ever did and plays a more dedicated kicker.

It's the same with your ridiculous strawman argument of "if you think Mullin is a replacement for Duncan you're stupid", no one is saying Mullin is a replacement for Duncan. No one is saying Mullin will slot in on the HBF and play the role Duncan has been playing. We've been saying Duncan is offering nothing and needs to be omitted, and in a separate case, Mullin was very effective against JHF last time so it would be a good move to do that again.

GFC's strength is its system. It's not Auskick or under 8s, you don't swap one player in for another player. The entire squad is part of a system, they don't just swap two magnets, moving one player means moving several more players and structuring the line-up as one large system, not 23 individual roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back