Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Fox Footy

Unthinkable return among seven Blues options; the stars already sidelined — AFL Finals Team Tips

Read about the latest selection and injury news ahead of the first week of finals in AFL Team Tips!

Geelong’s Round 24 team

B: L.Humphries, J.Henry, J.Kolodjashnij
HB: M.Holmes, M.Blicavs, Z.Guthrie
C: M.Duncan, T.Atkins, O.Dempsey
HF: T.Stengle, S.Neale, S.Mannagh
F: B.Close, J.Cameron, O.Henry
FOLL: R.Stanley, P.Dangerfield - C, T.Stewart

I/C: Z.Tuohy, J.Bowes, G.Miers, J.Bews, T.Bruhn

EMG: G.Rohan, O.Mullin, M.Knevitt

Team Tips: Chris Scott has on Monday confirmed Tom Hawkins (foot) will not play against Port Adelaide, but he said the imminent retiree will play in Geelong’s VFL semi-final against Southport. The exact same goes for midfielder Cam Guthrie (Achilles), who participated in Sunday’s training session as he plots a last-minute call-up. “They’re working really hard with us to get us right for this week’s game, and they’re working hard on themselves to try to get back to playing,” Mark Blicavs said of the pair after Sunday’s session. Sam De Koning(knee) will return per Scott, having played in Geelong’s VFL finals loss to Werribee — he notched 18 disposals, two marks and 23 hit-outs. Mitch Hardie(24 disposals) was the Cats’ top ball-winner, while Brandan Parfitt (19 possessions, 14 tackles and four clearances) and Mark O’Connor (19 disposals, seven marks, four clearances) pushed for recalls. Elsewhere, forward Gary Rohan(managed) is set to be recalled by Chris Scott. Oisin Mullin and Mitch Knevittwere emergencies against the Eagles, giving an indication of the players closest to a call-up.

For CE:
Elsewhere, forward Gary Rohan(managed) is set to be recalled by Chris Scott
Surely Rohan doesnt come straight back in, absolutely stunk it up in the VFL on the weekend, think he had 6 touches.

It was a weird comment - almost like it was written last week before the VFL match

I'm not against bringing in Rohan despite stinking it up on the weekend against Werribee.
It's about match-ups and Port Adelaide have a fairly agile backline.
Rohan moved well enough to suggest he could be brought in simply to provide manic pressure along with Mannagh.

No, my logic is that if the MC thought Mullin was capable of stopping the A grade mids, like JHF, in a final, why have they not played him in this role in the 13 weeks since the Port game?

They've only played one person in a tagging role since the Port game and that was Mullin v Hill. Does that mean they don't think he's capable? Or does it mean they didn't think the tagging role was a good approach? What we do know for sure is he is capable of tagging JHF as he's done it before, so why not do it again?

Ok so if I can make a recommendation it's to not take medical advice from me

Due to a heart condition I've got to take antibiotics before going to the dentist - I remember as a youngster, I tried to tell me parents I wasn't feeling well but they said it was just nerves...

That's a mistake my parents only made once 😂

They've only played one person in a tagging role since the Port game and that was Mullin v Hill. Does that mean they don't think he's capable? Or does it mean they didn't think the tagging role was a good approach? What we do know for sure is he is capable of tagging JHF as he's done it before, so why not do it again?

Atkins played negating rolls on Merrett & Newcombe in successive weeks

It may just depend on the opposition as to how we approach the tagging or negating role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they think Rohan deserves a spot I'm not sure that VFL match should change anything.

He played forward in horrible windy conditions with a midfield getting beaten and utterly butchering the ball. It's not like he's historically a big possession winner.

If we want him as sub ahead of Bews, O'Connor, Mullin, Knevitt, etc I think that's fine. It's not like any of those guys have absolutely bashed the door down. I just hope we don't go with both him and O Henry in the 22.

If they think Rohan deserves a spot I'm not sure that VFL match should change anything.

He played forward in horrible windy conditions with a midfield getting beaten and utterly butchering the ball. It's not like he's historically a big possession winner.

If we want him as sub ahead of Bews, O'Connor, Mullin, Knevitt, etc I think that's fine. It's not like any of those guys have absolutely bashed the door down. I just hope we don't go with both him and O Henry in the 22.

Someone mentioned O Henry had a splint on his fingers the other day.

He clearly hurt his finger late In the WC game when he took a nice contested grab.

Not sure If it is bad enough to keep him out but I'm definitely a little worried.

If Ollie has any issues with his fingers It could certainly impact his marking... and without marking, Ollie doesn't have many other weapons.

Hopefully his fingers are good as gold come Thursday.

It's ok, we clearly disagree, and that's fine.

But why would the answer be 'they didn't think the tagging role was a good approach?' Genuine question - what makes JHF the only star player worthy of tagging when we've played plenty of games this year where an oppo mid has been a factor in us losing the match?

And without opening up a can of works, I think the Hill example is a bad one for a few reasons. 1. I think his 'tagging role' is overstated on here anyway. But 2. Hill is a genuine B or C grader. It's be the same as someone tagging Tanner Bruhn against us. i.e., it hasn't happened, and if it did, I'd be happy but perplexed as to why an opposition team decided to ignore Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron etc. to go after one of our role players.

He's about to rent out Mason Cox's goggles......

This Thursday night he'll run out for game #100 in the Hoops, thought it'll only be game #99 in the long sleeves - does that mean the real milestone is still one match away?

Drafted as a rookie back in 2019, he made his debut on a wet night out west when we were on our Perth rotation during the covid interrupted season in 2020 - he came into the team to replace the Ablett who had returned home for family reasons

It didn't take long for Brad to become known for his long sleeves, so it likely came as something of a surprise when he ran out for our 2022 round 1 clash against Essendon, wearing the standard sleeveless guernsey like his teammates

For those who don't remember
1725253820601.jpeg

The venture into the short sleeves didn't last long as he was back into the long sleeves just 1 week later

Over his previous 99 games he's become an ever reliable member of our forward line - unassuming in his approach, but an accurate kick for goal and always good at hitting up teammates in a better position for their own shot on goal

He also added to the premiership tally for the #45 when he was part of the team on the big day in 2022, slotting a couple of goals of his own that day to go with a couple of goal assists, plus the decisive tap to the captain for his own memorable goal - an action that wouldn't have been recorded on the stats sheet, though it's importance won't be forgotten by Cats fans

1725252859896.jpeg

Congrats to Close on game #100

Edit - apparently he's played 2 games in the sleeveless guernsey, but I'm not counting the GC game in Darwin 😎

This Thursday night he'll run out for game #100 in the Hoops, thought it'll only be game #99 in the long sleeves - does that mean the real milestone is still one match away?

Drafted as a rookie back in 2019, he made his debut on a wet night out west when we were on our Perth rotation during the covid interrupted season in 2020 - he came into the team to replace the Ablett who had returned home for family reasons

It didn't take long for Brad to become known for his long sleeves, so it likely came as something of a surprise when he ran out for our 2022 round 1 clash against Essendon, wearing the standard sleeveless guernsey like his teammates

For those who don't remember
View attachment 2098911

The venture into the short sleeves didn't last long as he was back into the long sleeves just 1 week later

Over his previous 99 games he's become an ever reliable member of our forward line - unassuming in his approach, but an accurate kick for goal and always good at hitting up teammates in a better position for their own shot on goal

He also added to the premiership tally for the #45 when he was part of the team on the big day in 2022, slotting a couple of goals of his own that day to go with a couple of goal assists, plus the decisive tap to the captain for his own memorable goal - an action that wouldn't have been recorded on the stats sheet, though it's importance won't be forgotten by Cats fans

View attachment 2098901

Congrats to Close on game #100

I hate to be a stickler but he was in the short sleeves up in Darwin this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back