Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We demonstrated against the Hawks that if we get Dangerfield, Stewart, Bowes and Holmes all firing we can have an effective if unorthodox midfield group. That team didn’t include Bruhn whose hardness will suit finals. Add Atkins and Blicavs and it’s not a horrible group albeit probably lacking flair compared to other midfield groups.

Every time , or in alot of instances when it is a must win game for Geel this year , he has got hurt/injured during that game , so hopefully he gets a free run at it and plays well

Rhys who i i think has been tremendous value for Geel , and i think posters unfairly are biased towards his bad games where he has played a hell of alot more good games in my opinion , including destroying Tom Hickey in the 22 GF

And this good Rhys bad Rhys bulldust , what about Bowes , O Henry Bruhn and Atkins and a few others , they can be highly inconsistent

However i think Geelongs proven reliable top players will get the Cats over the line by about 4 goals

It's funny how consistently and confidently wrong you are. The coaching staff doesn't simply swap one player for another, i.e. Humphries didn't take Stewart's role. Anyone that's been paying any kind of attention can see Humphries plays a much more defensive role down back than Stewart ever did and plays a more dedicated kicker.

It's the same with your ridiculous strawman argument of "if you think Mullin is a replacement for Duncan you're stupid", no one is saying Mullin is a replacement for Duncan. No one is saying Mullin will slot in on the HBF and play the role Duncan has been playing. We've been saying Duncan is offering nothing and needs to be omitted, and in a separate case, Mullin was very effective against JHF last time so it would be a good move to do that again.

GFC's strength is its system. It's not Auskick or under 8s, you don't swap one player in for another player. The entire squad is part of a system, they don't just swap two magnets, moving one player means moving several more players and structuring the line-up as one large system, not 23 individual roles.
For all that it seems as if your ideas have been the ones to draw scrutiny and, dare I say it, ridicule.

Take a rebounder out and you need a rebounder in. Your options for that are robbing Stewart from midfield and destroying us at stoppages, or utilising a lesser rebounding option from the VFL.

Last edited:
He's certainly displayed more courage than you with your pathetic pot shots, and the coaches selection ideas show more rational thinking. I think we're both glad of that fact given they are the ones getting paid. Hope you really enjoy the game.
Well I certainly hope he can cop a hit better than you after giving it out..

I think some people on here are clearly struggling with the bye.

I'll bet you that we wear Blue and White Hoops and not White and Blue Hoops in the Away Final?...

When's footy back?

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Actually Humphries has taken Stewart's ground ball interceptor role and Henry is picking up the slack with Stewart's defensive marking.

Humphries in the side has therefore released Stewart into his defensive midfield sweeper role.

Take Duncan out and Stewart has to go back to defence. If Mullin is your proposed Duncan replacement I am incredibly grateful your name isn't Chris Scott.

Zac guthrie is the duncan replacement. If we are smart stewart will stay in the middle for this game.

Zac guthrie is the duncan replacement. If we are smart stewart will stay in the middle for this game.
Not this season he isn't. They've played almost every game in the same backline.

You can argue that a combination of Zuthrie stepping up and Humphries stepping in has allowed us to push Stewart into the midfield. If you suddenly take Duncan out then it's one less rebounder for Port to worry about. I think we're fussing a lot over something the MC isn't even giving a second thought. Their concern is over whether to play all of SDK/Stanley/Blicavs together or not. Unless we think it's Duncan out, SDK in then it's a moot point. Our current balance is good.

Was funny on Footy Crappified the suggestion that Stewart is mentally fragile and can't cop a tag based on the Geelong V Port game where we should have run over the top of them and Stewart was playing a totally different role in the team. No mention on the fact that weeks after that game he has spent a lot of time midfield.

The only thing FC got right was that Port have an issue with their defence, especially smaller defenders, and that Stengle/Close/Miers have a habit of bobbing up with goals/assists.

It's funny how consistently and confidently wrong you are. The coaching staff doesn't simply swap one player for another, i.e. Humphries didn't take Stewart's role. Anyone that's been paying any kind of attention can see Humphries plays a much more defensive role down back than Stewart ever did and plays a more dedicated kicker.

It's the same with your ridiculous strawman argument of "if you think Mullin is a replacement for Duncan you're stupid", no one is saying Mullin is a replacement for Duncan. No one is saying Mullin will slot in on the HBF and play the role Duncan has been playing. We've been saying Duncan is offering nothing and needs to be omitted, and in a separate case, Mullin was very effective against JHF last time so it would be a good move to do that again.

GFC's strength is its system. It's not Auskick or under 8s, you don't swap one player in for another player. The entire squad is part of a system, they don't just swap two magnets, moving one player means moving several more players and structuring the line-up as one large system, not 23 individual roles.

Without being so condescending, you could have just suggested who you think they should drop to cater for the inclusion of Mullin. What position does he play? You know, moving multiple magnets around like it's brain surgery..
While omitting Duncan, as you've called for.

Remember in 2022 when the mood was very much that we needed to capitalise as we were about to slide out of relevance?

Now here we are two years later and we're not only still competing, but the future looks just as bright as the present. Crazy stuff.

Given all of that, I'll be disappointed if we lose this game, but it won't be the end of the world. And what a luxury that is.

As long as we don't get any "Sub Paul Chapman in a final" stupidity from Chris Scott, I'll be happy. Hopefully that sort of chicanery is long past.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was funny on Footy Crappified the suggestion that Stewart is mentally fragile and can't cop a tag based on the Geelong V Port game where we should have run over the top of them and Stewart was playing a totally different role in the team. No mention on the fact that weeks after that game he has spent a lot of time midfield.

The only thing FC got right was that Port have an issue with their defence, especially smaller defenders, and that Stengle/Close/Miers have a habit of bobbing up with goals/assists.
It's a weird logic on their part because Stewart knows what is coming for him this week anyway, so he will hardly go into the game mentally unprepared. It is possible Port showed their hand too early in the season with their hard tag on Stewart. One of the reason Port will never win a flag under our old mate Ken--he cannot play the long game.

Stewart's mental "fragility" will certainly not be a factor no matter what the result because it's not a thing. Tough as nails, that one. Physically and mentally.

MOD NOTE---​

Reminder of the Terms & Rules agreed to when you sign up to Big Footy:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which includes:
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,

And from "The Commandments of BigFooty":
  1. Don't be a pest.
    • Remember these are real people you are talking to. Don't bait or provoke negative responses.
    • Likewise, don't feed trolls. Report posts instead of taking the bait.
    • Don't create new sock-puppet user accounts just to back yourself up in an argument or bully other people.
    • Publicly complaining about, ranting over and criticising moderators and their actions is not accepted. Take it up with the moderator privately, then with Admins if you still have a problem. Contact Admins on this form or via email directly.
    • Insults like ******, **** (and its many variations), **** and ******* are particularly repugnant to many moderators.
    • Club boards are places for club supporters to gather. Respect the team and its supporters when you visit. Reacting to posts is useful for users to rate posts without needing to post "good post" and "LOL" messages. But running rampant through opposing club boards liking and laugh-reacting to negative posts - on your own or as part of a group - is a form of trolling and disrespect of the club on their own board. Specially after a bad loss or at a sensitive time for that club.
    • Don't be a cyberstalker: Respect other people. Lifting social media content and posting it in threads, following people around from board to board to hassle them, contacting, mentioning, and @'ing them when they have made it clear they do not wish to engage with you, it's all just weird. Don't do that.
---

We all know that when there's no direct football to talk about that conversations can start venturing off topic, tension grows and those little niggles that often get bypassed when there's focus on a game instead have greater focus placed on them - we've seen that alluded to where the direction of chat is heading

In just over 48 hours we play our first final soccer the 2022 Grand Final, and I dare suggest that folk want to be here to partake in match day discussion - with that being the case, let's turn our focus back to match and cut the crap with the niggles & digs at other posters

Get back to debating the topic at hand, and not using it as opportunity to take a swipe at your fellow posters - if you can't post without taking a swipe at another individual, then ask yourself if you really need to be hitting reply on the post in question

Take this as a blanket warning to all - we're sick of the niggle, so let's start acting like adults and less like primary school kids in the playground

I think this place will tear itself apart over a summer talking about bailey smith
I don't think he is that divisive, but this place will get grim if we are strongly linked with Stringer or offer him a big deal...

Its a difficult one, but I think if he is fit he only comes in if we have a midfield injury and its a break glass in case of emergency.

I don't think he is that divisive, but this place will get grim if we are strongly linked with Stringer or offer him a big deal...

Its a difficult one, but I think if he is fit he only comes in if we have a midfield injury and its a break glass in case of emergency.
If we trade anything of value and/or provide him anything other than a token contract I'll probably be put in an institution

MOD NOTE---​

Reminder of the Terms & Rules agreed to when you sign up to Big Footy:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which includes:
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,

And from "The Commandments of BigFooty":
  1. Don't be a pest.
    • Remember these are real people you are talking to. Don't bait or provoke negative responses.
    • Likewise, don't feed trolls. Report posts instead of taking the bait.
    • Don't create new sock-puppet user accounts just to back yourself up in an argument or bully other people.
    • Publicly complaining about, ranting over and criticising moderators and their actions is not accepted. Take it up with the moderator privately, then with Admins if you still have a problem. Contact Admins on this form or via email directly.
    • Insults like ******, ** (and its many variations), ** and ******* are particularly repugnant to many moderators.
    • Club boards are places for club supporters to gather. Respect the team and its supporters when you visit. Reacting to posts is useful for users to rate posts without needing to post "good post" and "LOL" messages. But running rampant through opposing club boards liking and laugh-reacting to negative posts - on your own or as part of a group - is a form of trolling and disrespect of the club on their own board. Specially after a bad loss or at a sensitive time for that club.
    • Don't be a cyberstalker: Respect other people. Lifting social media content and posting it in threads, following people around from board to board to hassle them, contacting, mentioning, and @'ing them when they have made it clear they do not wish to engage with you, it's all just weird. Don't do that.
---

We all know that when there's no direct football to talk about that conversations can start venturing off topic, tension grows and those little niggles that often get bypassed when there's focus on a game instead have greater focus placed on them - we've seen that alluded to where the direction of chat is heading

In just over 48 hours we play our first goal soccer the 2022 Grand Final, and I dare suggest that folk want to be here to partake in match day discussion - with that being the case, let's turn our focus back to match and cut the crap with the niggles & digs at other posters

Get back to debating the topic at hand, and not using it as opportunity to take a swipe at your fellow posters - if you can't post without taking a swipe at another individual, then ask yourself if you really need to be hitting reply on the post in question

Take this as a blanket warning to all - we're sick of the niggle, so let's start acting like adults and less like primary school kids in the playground
I apologise for my part in this, reading back through the posts I got snippy once I was told my eyes were painted on and how funny it was to see how "consistently wrong I was". So I edited out anything that wasn't directly football talk. I won't be taking the troll's bait for the rest of the finals.

I've angered a lot of people defending certain players over the years who apparently should've retired ages ago. If they simply defend their points and don't play the man, I will always debate in good faith.

On Guthrie:

Remember in 2022 when the mood was very much that we needed to capitalise as we were about to slide out of relevance?

Now here we are two years later and we're not only still competing, but the future looks just as bright as the present. Crazy stuff.

Given all of that, I'll be disappointed if we lose this game, but it won't be the end of the world. And what a luxury that is.

As long as we don't get any "Sub Paul Chapman in a final" stupidity from Chris Scott, I'll be happy. Hopefully that sort of chicanery is long past.
We don't have an ageing hamstring injury-prone star player that has been in and out all season like Chappy was, that is relevant, unless you're referring to Hawkins- and with that we have the CS genius of omitting Mooney for Hawkins, way back in 2011. The Chappy as sub worked in season well enough for it not to be radical, imho, but we can see things differently at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back