Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats are no chance to win the flag.

Oh and maybe re read my post. I was going off what people I were talking to were saying. Never at any stage stated or suggested this was any type of inside knowledge.

Deepest apologies for sharing an opinion. I must have this forum thing all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn’t you say “strong talk around the traps” suggested the changes? Now it’s not inside knowledge you were just talking to a random at the pub?

Sounded like your first post strongly suggested it was some kind of inside knowledge tbh?

Courtesy of Journalist Shayne Hope ( who is a Geel supporter ) article with Brad Close quotes about 10 hours ago

I liked Close , his last quoted paragraph

" Weve had a bit of an up and down year , and theres probably still improvement to go, but weve had a couple of weeks to get it right , and be really prepared for Port Adelaide "

That just gives me a tinge of confidence .

Have we lost a milestone game this year?

Hawkins 350 W
Blicavs 250 W
Cameron 250 W
Stanley 200 W
Stewart 150 W
Stanley 150 at the Cats W
Guthrie 100 W

Close 100 W?

Then bring Rohan back for the prelim, win that and the GF would be his 100th at the club.
Looks like I missed a few others.

Bruhn 50 W
De Koning 50 W
Henry 50 W

Butters broke the record for most fines in VFL/AFL history.
Bloke is a bloody good player but a massive hothead if things start going badly for Port/himself.

Gotta get someone stuck into him, last years his 2 Finals were close to the worst games he had played in his career.
Coincided with them falling out in straight sets. He's big to their structure.
Yeah fines against doesn't translate to frees against necessarily. Butters is equal 36th in the league with Tom Atkins

He's Hinkley's love child! Praying for one last effort over these next few weeks for how ever long they last. Don't think Dixon has it in him let alone a half marathon. Purely in there to bring it to ground and bullock it too his smalls. Personally if i am defender or third man up i'd be calculatingly smashing into his ribs, back and the rest of it every opportunity.
Yeah Dixon is a bit of a wimp, tell you who else is a bit of a wimp is JHF LOL
need someone to soften him up in the middle!!

We're tempting fate, one of Dixon or Sav will be BOG.

Not because they're any good, it's just the way we roll. After all the talk of Butters, Rozee, & JHF, it'll be a spud that decides the game. It's the Geelong way.

Call it 'the Dennis Armfield effect'

Not that he's a spud, but I can totally see Willem Drew blanketing one of our prime movers, while having 20 and 2 himself.

I posted most of this a few weeks ago and it still holds up:

Seems like the MC have determined (rightly IMO) that our main advantage this September is finals/premiership experience.

With Pies, Dees and Tigers out, Geelong are only finals team to win a flag since 2016. The dogs, swans, giants and Lions have all played in GFs though.

8 changes from ‘22 flag side:

In: Neale, Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, OHenry, Dempsey, Mannagh, Humphries

OUT: Selwood, Smith (ret), MOC, Parfitt, Rohan (man.), Hawkins, Guthrie, SDK (inj).

The in’s are all quite young or lacking experience in our system, therefore it makes sense to balance that out with Stanley, Bews, Touhy, Duncan. Easier to coach & make adjustments in game with more experienced troops who’ve been with the team 5+ seasons.

The young guys who made the cut unequivocally earned their spot. Those who missed were 50/50s and the MC are backing in the guys who have done it before. Mullin did not force out Bews. SDK, although a premiership player, didn’t do enough to force anyone out from the last few weeks. Nor did MOC.

On the other hand Mannagh/Henry did enough to keep Rohan out and I suspect Bruhn & Bowes will keep Guthrie out.

Hawkins is a wildcard and could depend on the opposition. If we play the Dogs next week with Lobb, Jones & Khamis he could come back alongside Jez & Neale to avoid a repeat of Round 19. Maybe 30% chance.

I hope Blics plays CHB/FB all finals series. I’d back him in over SDK this year in that spot. He was taught by Scarlett after all.

Then farewell many of the older guys at seasons end and back in the youth for 2025.

Jake Gyllenhaal Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
You omitted one of my favourite matches ever.

The ins and outs from the last time we met (round 9).

GFC
IN: Jack Bowes, Jed Bews, Lawson Humphries, Patrick Dangerfield, Shannon Neale, Shaun Mannagh, Tanner Bruhn, Zach Tuohy.
OUT: Brandan Parfitt, Cameron Guthrie, Gary Rohan, Jhye Clark, Mark O'Connor, Oisin Mullin, Sam De Koning, Tom Hawkins.

PAFC
IN: Connor Rozee, Jase Burgoyne, Jordon Sweet, Lachlan Jones, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle.
OUT: Dan Houston, Josh Sinn, Kane Farrell, Jeremy Finlayson, Todd Marshall, Dante Visentini.

That's correct. Below is our win/loss history as favourites/underdogs in finals since 2009:

View attachment 2100645
'Dare to dream' and all that. But these numbers are a sobering reminder of what we're actually up against in this game. While the overall Port team isn't all that brilliant, the midfield differential if they get up and going could easily decide the game. And the fact our last three finals at the ground were all fairly mediocre efforts from us hardly excites optimism, either.

Our best would trouble them, no doubt. Whether we'll bring that is far more doubtful. And if we don't, I fear this won't really be close.

Stay in the contest until half-time and I give us a real chance. If we're well down by that stage, I don't see us getting off the canvas and worrying them unduly later in the night.

I think their frees against numbers are skewed a bit by JHF.

He's given away 43 this year with the next most Butters at 27. Rest of the profile isn't materially different to any other team.

Hmmm, both midfielders. Overall, Port give away far more than us, but have also received way more.
Don't know what to make of it without further data, or if it matters. Has to interrupt the flow though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think both sdk (for bews probably) and marshall will play so late changes.

Glad to see dixon back as hes fairly cooked.
I hope that sav plays back on cameron as we can exploit that.

Glad to see mc have backed in mannagh and neale.

I think both sdk (for bews probably) and marshall will play so late changes.

Glad to see dixon back as hes fairly cooked.
I hope that sav plays back on cameron as we can exploit that.

Glad to see mc have backed in mannagh and neale.

The reason for ports good form is they moved Sav out of the backline they been better less goals scored against.

The reason for ports good form is they moved Sav out of the backline they been better less goals scored against.

100 % agree.
But with dixon georgie up fwd im hoping they throw esava back. We can exploit him especially cameron.

'Dare to dream' and all that. But these numbers are a sobering reminder of what we're actually up against in this game. While the overall Port team isn't all that brilliant, the midfield differential if they get up and going could easily decide the game. And the fact our last three finals at the ground were all fairly mediocre efforts from us hardly excites optimism, either.

Our best would trouble them, no doubt. Whether we'll bring that is far more doubtful. And if we don't, I fear this won't really be close.

Stay in the contest until half-time and I give us a real chance. If we're well down by that stage, I don't see us getting off the canvas and worrying them unduly later in the night.
It's exciting for mine.

We're playing with house money, and we should embrace that as supporters in our approach.

If we go over there and lose by 6 goals, nobody except the most ardent of trolls are going to give a shit. It's what's expected to happen.

It's kinda like the antithesis of 2022, where it was all on the line, and if we'd messed it up...we'd rue the chance for decades.

It's refreshing that nobody is giving us a shot. Takes the pressure off, and makes any potential victory so much sweeter.

who is more badass - JHF or Tom Atkins?

who is more capable of doing a Mark Bos at opening bounce... god i miss the 1980s footy

who is more badass - JHF or Tom Atkins?

who is more capable of doing a Mark Bos at opening bounce... god i miss the 1980s footy
Tom's pretty badass. Tough, old fashioned footballer.

If you gave us JHF though we'd be winning the flag in a canter.

Kid is a superstar in the making and will win a Brownlow one day soon.

Wow catempire was right about SDK.

Personally think it is total madness unless they think he is not fully right with that knee. Could be an end of season operation situation.

So I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have a bit more respect for Dixon and Esava than some here. They have huge height and weight advantage on our defence.

But if they are kicking goals there will be problems further up the field.

I think we will give this a crack but fall a few goals short.
Ridiculous decision really.

Leaving Rohan out is also just as bad. He is about the only player that puts both pressure on and most importantly competes in the air. An absolute must in finals. There is not one player outside of Danger that brings the ball to ground. They will intercept all night.

As soon as sides ramp up the pressure to a finals like tempo we can’t go with them. The last three weeks have been just as bad as any patches of good in those games. Our backline is like Swiss cheese when we drop off up the ground. Esp if Stewy is playing sweeper at contests.

I know the team isn’t good enough but this is so 2012-2019. Like a reoccurring nightmare. Just play the best 22 and when we are not good enough at least we can all live with it. I’ll be physically ill if Charlotte Dixon kicks 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back