Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port successfully got under Stewart’s skin last time, it is no secret that he can become unfocused and undisciplined when frustrated.

Butters and JHF are exactly the same, if we niggle and harass them they will give away free kicks and complain to the umpires all night. Hope we give them both a really difficult few hours.

I don't think I'd want to poke either of those bears. JHF and Butters could take over the game if fired up.

I don't think I'd want to poke either of those bears. JHF and Butters could take over the game if fired up.

Was thinking the same. Might get an extra free kick or two out of them, but might also switch them into beast mode (like B. Lara back in the day). Especially in front of their home crowd, it's a risky strategy.

Play well and get a handy lead, and they may well become petulant and give away frees anyway.

Was thinking the same. Might get an extra free kick or two out of them, but might also switch them into beast mode (like B. Lara back in the day). Especially in front of their home crowd, it's a risky strategy.

Play well and get a handy lead, and they may well become petulant and give away frees anyway.
Kingy already did that by thumping his chest and saying Dangerfield was going to enter beast mode and make them look like scared little school children. I haven't seen a commentator try to spark a couple of players like that in a long time.

Haha, where did he say this? Seems like a pretty odd thing to say!
I did add a bit of mayo, but on AFL 360 King did say the old master (Dangerfield) was primed to show Butters/JHF how it's really done. He praised the latter too but actually all of the panel said Paddy is still the king. Which is actually a lot of pressure to put on a 34 year old against superstars in their prime, but defying expectations is why Danger's reputation remains that high.

I did add a bit of mayo, but on AFL 360 King did say the old master (Dangerfield) was primed to show Butters/JHF how it's really done. He praised the latter too but actually all of the panel said Paddy is still the king. Which is actually a lot of pressure to put on a 34 year old against superstars in their prime, but defying expectations is why Danger's reputation remains that high.
If we are to rely on Danger, it won't end well. No pressure on him to prove anything- the whole footy world knows how elite he was and still can be. It's the others who all need to step up to assist him- Bruhn, Atkins, Bowes, Holmes- as opposed to Wines, Butters, JHF, Rozee... Danger will be fired up, but we need 4q of his excellence.

Hard to be nervous for this one, as a win is clearly against the odds, and if Port turns up, it should be a comfortable home win.

Finals are a chance for players to build their reputations..here’s hoping the kids take their chances those in particular like Dempsey and Bruhn and Bowes espically

I’m hopeful that they will and not rely on the fading star like Dnager who will still have an impact but can’t be relied on to pull the team over the line

Stanley over SDK I get if SDK isn't quite right yet.

But the Bews selection is bizarre. He was miles back in the pecking order and unimpressive in the VFL. He was ok against North and awful against Adelaide. And suddenly he's being picked for a final?

Surely if he makes the final team he'll be sub but I'd have Rohan, Knevitt, Mullin, O'Connor, Parfitt, Clark and Clohesy all ahead of him for that role.
Some players are picked for their defensive or negating traits.
Kolo is one fine example.
Some would say SDK was heading in that same direction up until 2-3 months ago.
Bews is another.
Where as Kolo defends/negates anyone from talls, medium talls and even meds/smalls.
Bews is a small forwards worst match up. We are devoid of them. He is the only one we really have.
Just to touch on those you've mentioned, they aren't defenders(MOC?maybe). No use having them play on Rioli.
Looking from another angle.
We have Duncan down back who really is a defensive liability, even on his better days. Can't defend Rioli or DBJ TBH.
I think having Bews shadowing Rioli and Humphries on DBJ will negate their small forwards.
It will be interesting on how we set up down back.

Bews is a small forwards worst match up. We are devoid of them. He is the only one we really have..

Bews has played 2 full games all year. I don't think he had a specific shutdown role against North. So in his only actual shutdown role Rachele killed him. Why is it suddenly critical to play a shutdown defender who failed in his 1 attempt this year?

And if he's sub surely Rohan, Mullin and Clark have played more good AFL footy this year and are better sub candidates than an out of form negating small defender.

Stanley over SDK I get if SDK isn't quite right yet.

But the Bews selection is bizarre. He was miles back in the pecking order and unimpressive in the VFL. He was ok against North and awful against Adelaide. And suddenly he's being picked for a final?

Surely if he makes the final team he'll be sub but I'd have Rohan, Knevitt, Mullin, O'Connor, Parfitt, Clark and Clohesy all ahead of him for that role.
Assume it's purely to try and blanket Rioli who has kicked 4 against us the last 2 times we've played them. But I agree, it seems a strange. Jed hasn't performed that role at AFL level for a long time. I'd have preferred someone else in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bews has played 2 full games all year. I don't think he had a specific shutdown role against North. So in his only actual shutdown role Rachele killed him. Why is it suddenly critical to play a shutdown defender who failed in his 1 attempt this year?

And if he's sub surely Rohan, Mullin and Clark have played more good AFL footy this year and are better sub candidates than an out of form negating small defender.
I'm not denying that playing Bews is a gamble. He had a few poor moments against Rachele. It can happen.

My thinking is that they want Kolo to play on a tall and don't want to restrict Zuthrie/Humphries from their general interceptor/rebounding game. So that doesn't leave us with many options for restricting Rioli.

Whether Jed can get the job done or not is up for debate, but I'd say in his current state he is better equipped someone who is clever more than one who is a young jet with electric pace.

Damned if I ain't nervous.

Where's the game day thread?!

I need rational people explaining to me how we win this.

sorry - I had a small sleep in today and was delayed getting it started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back