Qualifying Final 1: Geelong v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be hoping that Steve Johnson will be playing as I heard that they haven't taken Charlie with them and you would say, with the other two guys they have taken with them, are totally different players to steve johnson and charlie. My money is on steve johnson to run out today.

The late change was Fumbles Johnson out, Wojcinski in.

Obviously Wojcinski is the better player, but i still feel (like i have all year) that we are light on for small players capable of playing a genuine defensive role.

Whilst the fact that we lost to Port upsets me, it is more the way and the brand of footy we played that disappoints me the most. All season we prided ourselves on playing a tough, accountable one-on-one brand of footy; today's game was anything but that.

Not enough pressure was applied throughout the entire field, our key forwards (Graham and Kingsley) failed miserably, King was spanked in the ruck by Brogan and Lade, and subsequently our midfield crumbled in the centre breaks.

Today Port handed our boys a big lesson, one that hopefully we take on the chin, stop to think about, and move forward on for next week.

Worst game of year including rounds 1 & 2.

Failed again in finals.

Will be interesting next week. Hopefully we pump Bombers.

Ok, it is not the end of the world.

We got pumped early after some nervousness & shocking hometown umpiring. Johnno's 'goal' in the first quarter was heart breaking.
But they put up a good fight and made me proud in the second half.

So we live to fight another day.
Lets get behind the club and build them up, not down. I reckon we are a good show against Essendon.

C'mon cats! Show us the heart you have shown all season.

Spriggs in the team has really unblanced the line up. Koula played around 70mins today and in his form should of played the whole game. Moloney was also cut short by spriggs.

Haynes looked ok when he was given game time.
King had a shocker today. Brogan make him look weak. And the team followed

Hard luck Cats fans but we had to break our Qualifying Final duck sometime!

I think the main problem out there for you guys today was just a glaring lack of Finals experience, whereas we've played a fair few (granted we lost most of them!) in comparison. I think we finally took stock of our own Finals experiences today and played the sort of Footy required at this level. To be honest though I reckon you're a good chance against Essendon next week despite injuries & possible suspensions because I have a sneaking feeling the Bombers shot their load yesterday. They were at full tilt and that will take something out of them. Geelong weren't at full tilt today and to my mind still have more to give. This experience I'm sure wont scar this Geelong team because they are better than that.

Good luck next weekend, as an ex-Grovie boy (my family & all my best mates are still there) I'd like to see you guys at least make the Prelim, you deserve a bit of success and to be honest I think that would be a none too shabby result for Geelong this season, leaving plenty for you to build on next season.

All the best (unless we meet again in the GF! ;) )

rizzo said:
Spriggs in the team has really unblanced the line up. Koula played around 70mins today and in his form should of played the whole game. Moloney was also cut short by spriggs.

Haynes looked ok when he was given game time.
King had a shocker today. Brogan make him look weak. And the team followed

The midfield was very, very unbalanced, and I wondered about the bench, really, there was more quality on it than on the field at times.

Koula played 68 1/2 minutes - under half the match.

I actually thought Haynes was a bit up and down, though the player I was stunned to see out of sorts was Joel Corey - he seemed to keep missing the ball!

Oh well, good try by cats is all we can say at this stage. It's obvious we've got practically no experience in finals. Luckily, from all our effort throughout the year it's paid off and we get another game in the finals.
Cats just couldn't get it together, but in the last half we started the usual play.

Wasn't Graham taken off coz he was doing really ********?
King - crap match
Spriggs - not very good either.
Mooney - his anger gets the best of him once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qualifying Final 1: Geelong v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back