Queensland Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Will post up some video & pics I took earlier of the North Pine River. We're cut off from all bar one way out in Petrie now. There are houses that have been inundated down around Sidling Ck, where Lake Kurwongbah empties over its spillway. I've seen it all flood before, but I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Gave a pair of stupid young ****s walking down to the river with bodyboards an absolute gobful. Can't believe anyone could be so goddamned stupid.

In times of crisis i know only one way to deal with it- booze, Richmond Grove 2006 Shiraz from the Barossa currently and later tonight a couple Big Helga Lagers. Really hope everyone is making smart decisions regarding saftey.

Will post up some video & pics I took earlier of the North Pine River. We're cut off from all bar one way out in Petrie now. There are houses that have been inundated down around Sidling Ck, where Lake Kurwongbah empties over its spillway. I've seen it all flood before, but I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Gave a pair of stupid young ****s walking down to the river with bodyboards an absolute gobful. Can't believe anyone could be so goddamned stupid.

Agree Haggis. I live around Warner, and i've never seen flooding like this on the north side. Area is helpless as well, as you only have about 3 ways to get north, Young's Crossing, Gympie road or the highway and all are cut off.

Would love to get out and have a look at Lake Kurwongbah, but obviously can't. Being i live near by, i'm keen to have a look at any pics you have.

Any idea if i'll be able to get from the Gold Coast to Brisbane Airport?
airport is closed according to TEN

got a brother and sister in law that live near Logan, they're safe for the time being thankfully, but i'm thinking of all you brisbanites, this is terrible :(

also, posted this on the Gen Discussion board, but some of you may wanna have a look too - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brisbane-river-flood

live webcam from someones appartment on the brisbane river

Any idea if i'll be able to get from the Gold Coast to Brisbane Airport?

Should be able to Fairley - rain hasn't been quite as heavy south of Brisbane - but check the RACQ or Dept Transport & Main Roads websites first.

I lived through the 1974 floods. I remember waking up to go to the toilet as a 5 year old and coming back to my room to find some strange woman sleeping in my bed :eek: We lived at Legeyt St Windsor. We were lucky, the floodwaters only made it about 4 - 5 foot up the ground level of our high-set house. The houses down the street from us went under, so we had many homeless people staying with us.

I dread to think of the devastation this flood will cause if it is going to end up worse than '74 :( A lot of work was done after the '74 floods to prevent similar flooding happening again but the circumstances are very different this time around.

Give thanks to all our brave SES and Emergency Services crews for their fantastic work so far. Sorry Browny, Blacky and Co, but these guys are our real heroes.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

airport is closed according to TEN

Still open according to their website, http://bne.com.au/

Brisbane Airport is currently still operating on schedule despite the unprecedented rain event.

Rumours that it may be closed at some point though. We're flying up on Friday to stay on the Gold Coast, so that's currently in question.

As much as we like to bicker with each other on here these situations bring us together and i seriously hope all you guys that live in Brissy and/or have family there are all o.k. and we wish you all well in a terrible time.

Devastating time and cant imagine what some people are going through up there and be safe.

Chism.

11012011017.jpg

View from the end of Afflek St, Petrie

11012011014.jpg

Entrance to Sweeneys Reserve

11012011015.jpg

Pine Rivers League Club

11012011012.jpg

Petrie Watch house

11012011011.jpg

Bread aisle @ Petrie Woolies around 4pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Chism.

No worries.

I have family up there to and they are in Oxenford near the theme parks and while they are not under immediate threat they are in a low lying area and the water is rising. :(

Hopefully the rain stops and gives everyone a chance to clean up and get back on with life and put this devastating event behind them.

I have an interesting couple of days ahead. A mate in the know has projections that show that the house across the road will get a bit of water in it's yard. It is a meter to a meter and a half lower than my place but I am still not taking any chances so my prize collection of books and recordings are being taken up stairs:D. Various other knick knacks (TV etc) are being taken as well. The lounge can get stuffed as I have been threatening to get a new in a long while:D.

Took a walk along Fairfield Rd just before dark and it is an amazing and horrifying site. The thought that the water can rise so much further is mind boggling. The 7/11 along Fairfield Rd has a good meter of water and the Coles carpark is looking lake like.

Anyone know how Giffin park would be faring?

Might be a bit of cleaning up to do there before training can get going

Stay safe all

We live right on the River just above the Toowong reach, we have steep bank of lawn down to the river of about 8 meters. At high tide today the water was 3 metres from our garage area. We have moved everything out of the garages and left the car at the top of a hill. Will continue to monitor the water. Our Unit is 3metres above the 1974 flood level.
Today we watched several large pontoons and a van float past very quickly, followed by a speed boat carrying a jetski attached to a pontoon. Another speedboat followed later. The river is moving very fast and it is a bit scary thinking of what is to come.
We have stocked up with water, batteries and food that will keep without power and most people here are going to stay and see it out. Everyone is looking out for each other and staying very positive, but we have an evacuation bag packed.

Hearing about the River level and places affected like Eagle St, New Farm, Southbank, etc really hits home to the likes of myself being an annual southern pilgrim.

Good luck to all of you & your families.

John leave the Utd DVDs down stairs, only enough space for valuables at higher ground. Stay safe mate.

We live right on the River just above the Toowong reach, we have steep bank of lawn down to the river of about 8 meters. At high tide today the water was 3 metres from our garage area. We have moved everything out of the garages and left the car at the top of a hill. Will continue to monitor the water. Our Unit is 3metres above the 1974 flood level.
Today we watched several large pontoons and a van float past very quickly, followed by a speed boat carrying a jetski attached to a pontoon. Another speedboat followed later. The river is moving very fast and it is a bit scary thinking of what is to come.
We have stocked up with water, batteries and food that will keep without power and most people here are going to stay and see it out. Everyone is looking out for each other and staying very positive, but we have an evacuation bag packed.

Hope you escape the worst of it armagedon_ready.

On a side note, it's great to see you pop by again.

Best of luck. Good to hear from you:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Queensland Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back