Preview R1 GWS GIANTS vs Sydney Swans - AFL Debut - Sydney Derby I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask what is going on with Brogan? Is he still expecting to play this year or has he been relegated to a coach only?

Like the other Geriatrics With Scully, we're just accepting that they will be hurt often and take a fair while to recover. GWS are unusual in that they are willing to accept their veterans will take half the year off injured, and thats OK.

By the way, one of the things they are at the club for is to show the kids how to recover from injury, do physio and the ways you can become a better footballer even during an enforced time off.

The Daily Telegraph's likely team from today's 2012 Season Opener liftout:

B: Bruce Mohr Cornes
HB: Reid Davis Bugg
C: Clifton McDonald Hoskin-Elliot
HF: Smith Cameron Townsend
F: Tyson Folau Wilson
Foll: Giles Ward Coniglio
Int: Kennedy Hampton Tomlinson Darley Greene Shiel

Will Hoskin-Elliot appears to have been cleared of a hand injury following the Tigers game and given his play in the NAB Cup will be a likely inclusion in the 22 when it's named today.

Young guns pushing for selection

One of these players is eighteen year old Will Hoskin-Elliott who was selected by the GIANTS with the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft.

“Selection is tomorrow. I haven’t really thought about it too much going in to today’s training session.

“This week is a big week for the club but mostly the team has just been going about things as normal, working hard and hoping to be selected for Round 1.

“If you spend your time worrying about selection then you’re not focusing hard enough on what you’re doing and then you won’t train as well.”

Hoskin-Elliott said that feedback from the coaches over the pre season has been positive and that running out in the GIANTS’ first match on Saturday night would be an enormous honor.

“The feedback to me so far has been that I’m training pretty well so I’ve just been focused on keeping that up and improving until Round 1 selection.

“If I get to run out on Saturday night it will be a dream come true. It will be an amazing feeling.”

Dylan Shiel and Jack Hombsch in, Clifton and Reid probably a bit stiff to miss out (emergencies), likewise Josh Bruce and Sam Darley who were probably on the cusp of the 24.

The team to make history as the inaugural 22 of the GWS Giants:

B: Tomas Bugg, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
HB: Jack Hombsch, Tim Mohr, Will Hoskin-Elliot
C: Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward, Chad Cornes
HF: Nathan Wilson, Israel Folau, Stephen Coniglio
F: Curtly Hampton, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith
Foll: Jonathan Giles, Dylan Shiel, James McDonald

I/C: Jacob Townsend, Toby Greene, Adam Tomlinson, Dom Tyson
Emg: Steve Clifton, Sam Reid, Tom Downie

So I'm heading up from Canberra for my first game at ANZ. I'm staying at the Ibis nearby overnight, Sunday the missus and I are heading to the Powerhouse museum for the Harry Potter exhibit (that was the cost to take the missus along!).

What is parking like at the venue and are there any good pubs for a meetup nearby, keen for a GWS board first game fire-up!
the ibis has carparking underneath. When you check-in they will explain how it works... Therd is a good pub that sits on the corner of the novatel/ ibis block. It sits on the corner facing ANZ(whatever its called now)/olympic stadium, the pub pub can be seen as ppl walk out of the train station. There are also bars in each of the hotels.

Congrats to the players given the honour of representing GWS in their first game in the AFL, especially to the 17 debutants. :thumbsu:

Good luck guys! :)

What is with only naming two emergencies? Know it means nothing, but still. Clifton should be playing, especially with Scully out.

Seems to be some kind of funny thing for this game - Sydney's only named two as well.

Basically the afl website screwed up, named only 2 emgs for GWS and named Seaby as a sub in addition to the 4 on the bench + 2 emgs. WTF.

The real emergencies are:
GWS - Reid, Clifton, Downie
Swans - Seaby, Gordon, Morton

Josh Bruce and Steve Clifton a bit stiff to miss and Tim Mohr a bit lucky to get the nod given his NAB Cup form but nonetheless, good luck to all the boys who are running out on Saturday night and making history.

Go Giants :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically the afl website screwed up, named only 2 emgs for GWS and named Seaby as a sub in addition to the 4 on the bench + 2 emgs. WTF.

Haha good work by them, thanks Grimlock.

Who do you guys think will play on Adam Goodes, both in the midfield and in defence against him?
I hardly know where to start with that matchup. Cornes will probably have to spend some time on him, maybe one of the taller defenders in Mohr or Hombsch will take him when he goes forward, good experience for them if nothing else.

I'd actually like to see Folau have a spell on Goodes to be honest, obviously he can't run with him but I'd be interested to see that for a short period.

So in other words the pressure of getting the line up right for 2 afl teams, proved a bit much for the afl website.

I hardly know where to start with that matchup. Cornes will probably have to spend some time on him, maybe one of the taller defenders in Mohr or Hombsch will take him when he goes forward, good experience for them if nothing else.

I'd actually like to see Folau have a spell on Goodes to be honest, obviously he can't run with him but I'd be interested to see that for a short period.

You would have to think that the likes Cornes or Mohr would be given a shutdown role on Goodes. I would also like to see Tomlinson get a run on Goodes at some stage as he would have both the speed and endurance to go with Goodes.

Like the other Geriatrics With Scully, we're just accepting that they will be hurt often and take a fair while to recover. GWS are unusual in that they are willing to accept their veterans will take half the year off injured, and thats OK.

By the way, one of the things they are at the club for is to show the kids how to recover from injury, do physio and the ways you can become a better footballer even during an enforced time off.

Brogan is the only one of our vets who I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play at all and only had a coaching roll with us, if that did happen I do wonder if we would push to have his wage not included in the salary cap.

Can't wait for the game. Just wanted to post a good luck message to you guys. I grew up in Sydney on the beach, and lived a while in the inner-west. Now i'm over in Perth, but Sydney is Sydney, and i'll cheer anyone from my home town.

The AFL might be pushing the rivalry, and the Swans will always be number 1 to me, but i'll be cheering you guys on in every other game you play this season.

Oh... and if you guys could beat the Eagles for me this season... i swear i'll buy a membership! Nothing in the world would make me happier. I'd buy a GWS guernsey to wear to work just to rub it in. :D

Josh Bruce and Steve Clifton a bit stiff to miss and Tim Mohr a bit lucky to get the nod given his NAB Cup form but nonetheless, good luck to all the boys who are running out on Saturday night and making history.

Go Giants :D

Sorry to intrude, but any reason why he was only named as an emergency and also why Miles hasn't been named? I was expecting one of them to be named.

Good luck, you're sure to be smashed a few times this year, but it's all a journey and if you stick with them, i'm sure they'll repay you in no time (just hope it isn't as long as i've been waiting ;))

Sorry to intrude, but any reason why he was only named as an emergency and also why Miles hasn't been named? I was expecting one of them to be named.

Good luck, you're sure to be smashed a few times this year, but it's all a journey and if you stick with them, i'm sure they'll repay you in no time (just hope it isn't as long as i've been waiting ;))

I am all over Miles as well and cant find anything to explain why he is missing - I am assuming he is injured as he didnt play last week. He seems an absolute lock in their best 22.

I'd say Clifton and Miles (along with Darley and Reid, maybe others) must have been right on the cusp of being in the 22. Hard to know why they weren't in, but they do have a lot of young talent to choose from. I'd be surprised if neither of them featured somewhat prominently this season.

Miles definitely isn't injured at the moment as he's named on the ball for the reserves, but perhaps he's coming off a niggle (having said that, most players had at least one game off in the NAB Cup).

Brogan is the only one of our vets who I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play at all and only had a coaching roll with us, if that did happen I do wonder if we would push to have his wage not included in the salary cap.

If Giles goes down, we will need Brogan. If Giles and Brogan are down, then the ruck is split between Folau, Phillips and Downie ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back