Analysis R11 St Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

It was all white in there.

We kicked shallow entries, played into their hands.

Directive next time has to be different.

Deep so crashing and opportunistic goals possible.

Or ping it yourself.
We were missing Billings, Schneider and Sinclair, who are 3 of our more effective offensive passers of the football so plenty of improvement immediately will be obvious when those guys come back in.

I'd like to think that Minch gets an extended run playing the role that Sinclair played in the first half of the season.

Selections after the bye, considering that Billings, Schneider, Roberton, Fisher will all be available and are all undoubtedly best 22, will be very, very interesting. The four worst performing yesterday were probably Delaney, Dunstan, Shenton, and Bruce - I can't see three of those four getting dropped.

Who'd be a selector?!
Dunstan did some really good quality work inside & linked up well too. Far far from our worst.

I know people want to see guys like Minch get an extended run but realistically he was in JB's spot so will most likely be the one to make way.

Guys what do you think of Farrens input since hes been back? Should he keep his spot or do we give Wright a run or Sinclair in for him?
Personally im not convinced hes the best option for that spot but i feel like ive had it in for him for a while. So maybe im missing his value.
DMac takes his spot. Running half-back flanker/wingman.

Roberton takes Shenton.

At least we have stayed true to our recruiting model and haven't recruited blokes like Harry O, Vince, the ex Bulldogs bloke etc, as was duly noted by Bomber.
We won whilst getting games into youth, they lost playing old recruits with no long term future or scope for improvement.
Sucks to be a Demons supporter........
Yep, but the reason they had to bring those blokes in was that they had previously jettisoned too many of their old blokes, whilst we let go a few (Dal, BJ) whilst retaining plenty of solid citizens (Gilbert, Ray, Dumpster) as well as some stars (Rooey, Chips, Joey).

Their average age was still slightly lower than ours yesterday as was their average number of games played. Obviously our big plus is that we had more players with fewer than 50 games than them yesterday and still have the likes of Billings, Goddard, McCartin, Sinclair who are under 21 and who are or will likely be first team players to come in.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6059

Average Attributes

St Kilda Melbourne
186.8cm Height 187.2cm
85.7kg Weight 86.6kg
24yr 9m Age 24yr 5mth
77.6 Games 72.0

Total Players By Games

St K Games Melbourne
13 <50 11
2 50-99 5
3 100-149 2
4 150+ 4

Thats Gilbert for you. Good and bad

I would take his game as a positive overall. He draws players, causes the tempo to go up and rattles the opposition. His unpredictability is an asset. He got caught taking the game on but that's why I like Shenton as well. The guy who looses the shackles and just takes it on is great when it comes off but looks bad when it turns over. You just have to reload and go again. I would rather go down attacking that die wondering. The other option is to safely chip it around going backwards and taking mini steps forward with little passes. I would rather be dashing forward. Bilbo isn't a KP and shouldn't be given that job though. He was getting punched in the guts by Hogan and pushed around. It was embarrassing, he couldn't stand up to a kid.

I'd like to think that Minch gets an extended run playing the role that Sinclair played in the first half of the season.

His ability to get 4 opportunities in front of goal combined with the tackles & pressure acts is hopefully an indication that the move into the midfield in the VFL is paying off. Although missing the lot with one set shot was likely through fatigue, and I've no idea why he didn't slam through a goal on his left from 30m directly in front instead of a pretty ordinary look-away handball.

Hogan wouldn't have had such a day out if Fisher was playing. Again Dempster played on someone much stronger, Gilbert was used as a KPD which was a poor match up too. Gilbert is a runner not a KP.
Disagree. Hogan is a star. He would have kicked 10 if Melbourne had have had as many inside 50s as us. Future Coleman medallist. Melbourne have to hope that he wants to stay in Vic when his contract comes to an end. I can see the likes of Freo making him a huge offer to go back to WA. Pavlich looks shot and with Sandilands also coming to the end they will have plenty of cap space being freed up.

Guys what do you think of Farrens input since hes been back? Should he keep his spot or do we give Wright a run or Sinclair in for him?
Personally im not convinced hes the best option for that spot but i feel like ive had it in for him for a while. So maybe im missing his value.

I think Farren was really solid again. The last two years Farren has stepped it up, he's like Newnes, doesn't make errors. You don't see him make silly mistakes and stands up when you need him to.

Disagree. Hogan is a star. He would have kicked 10 if Melbourne had have had as many inside 50s as us. Future Coleman medallist. Melbourne have to hope that he wants to stay in Vic when his contract comes to an end. I can see the likes of Freo making him a huge offer to go back to WA. Pavlich looks shot and with Sandilands also coming to the end they will have plenty of cap space being freed up.

He looks a definite star, I'm not talking about hypotheticals, he was what he was but we didn't have a good match up. Gilbert and Dempster struggled.

His ability to get 4 opportunities in front of goal combined with the tackles & pressure acts is hopefully an indication that the move into the midfield in the VFL is paying off. Although missing the lot with one set shot was likely through fatigue, and I've no idea why he didn't slam through a goal on his left from 30m directly in front instead of a pretty ordinary look-away handball.

He's a hard little man Meatball. He copped a really hard kick in the guts when he smothered and kept going. He is worth persisting with. He went quiet for two quarters but then was strong in the last when we needed him.

Ok we are officially competitive. This gives us the luxury of attacking the draft again and not needing to worry about topping up with mature players.

Ill be happy to see another 4 kids drafted in the ND + 2 or 3 kids rookied at the end of this year in the RD.
Not just the draft. Young players from other teams can be traded in with success too. We had 8 such players yesterday:-

Delaney, Longer, Bruce, Membrey, Weller, Dempster, Savage, Ray.

The oldest when recruited was Delaney at 24yo. All the rest were under 24yo when traded in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would see Billings and Sinclair as well ahead of Minch probably playing a similar role, so not sure where he fits in when those two are available

Only able to watch the first half, really impressed with membrey and newnes early on, thought they set the tone! dunstan looked to have started forward of the ball, thought he presented nicely.. always good to know an inside mid can add a string to their bow like that.

People laying into shents need to relax!! obviously isn't in our best 22 as roberton was out but he's definitely a decent back up to have in case of injuries

Too many calls for players heads...player X is too old/too slow/too useless...selection queries....coaching staff don't know what they're doing.

We are playing the long game here folks.

I think the selection committee are doing a brilliant job of rotating the entire squad in and out of the senior team. Remember, this is not a sprint race like the Hawks and Dockers are in. We are just starting off on a 42km marathon...young bodies need protecting, older bodies get sore. At least we can rotate in about 30-ish players with little drop off in output.

Too many calls for players heads...player X is too old/too slow/too useless...selection queries....coaching staff don't know what they're doing.

We are playing the long game here folks.

I think the selection committee are doing a brilliant job of rotating the entire squad in and out of the senior team. Remember, this is not a sprint race like the Hawks and Dockers are in. We are just starting off on a 42km marathon...young bodies need protecting, older bodies get sore. At least we can rotate in about 30-ish players with little drop off in output.

I think we learned a lesson from Watters man management too. Putting the older players noses out of joint fractured the whole environment. The guys who stay loyal should be able to get games when they deserve them or the culture will quickly become one of guys running as soon as an opportunity comes up. Giving these guys games to help teach the youth is never a bad thing too. Geelong's fast tracking has to be attributable to be being able to play them along side some outstanding seniors.

Thought he did ok, but needs to improve his tackling technique. He fell off or ws shrugged off tackles on a number of occasions, contrary to Lonie who is an absolute terrier.

Dunstan did some really good quality work inside & linked up well too. Far far from our worst.

I know people want to see guys like Minch get an extended run but realistically he was in JB's spot so will most likely be the one to make way.
Man, name YOUR bottom four in that team yesterday!?! ;) It's pretty darn hard to see who we'll drop for Billings, Schneider, Fisher and Roberton. I felt harsh putting Lenny Dunstan down there, but seriously, it's hard to find the four "worst" - that's my point.

Ray is another one that has been whipped by the 'faithful' since he joined the Club.

He's been a fantastically consistent player for St Kilda ever since he joined and continues to be.

Been amongst our best half dozen both times since he's come back into the team, he's a good intercept marker, finds space well and while not being a great kick - he isn't terrible.

18 touches, 4 marks @ 78% this week.
24 touches, 5 marks @ 75% last week.

I'd like to know what you think he could be doing better? Keep in mind he came off a 12 week injury.

We had 13 players that had played 0-50 games yesterday and people are going on like we didn't play any kids.

You need a balance. You need to be competitive in footy games. How much more fun has this season been then last because we are competitive.

I would see Billings and Sinclair as well ahead of Minch probably playing a similar role, so not sure where he fits in when those two are available
His one hope is to do super-well while one of them (Sinclair) isn't.

Does anyone else cringe when Mav Weller has ball in hand & is about to kick?

I swear i had more faith in Clint Jones at times than I do with Mav. Even after he takes a mark & goes back to have a nice long kick, it's always either a floater or a shank & it happens anywhere on the ground. Really needs to work on this a lot IMO
Don't cringe anymore I just accept that a turnover is coming. I don't know if we can carry someone that bad by foot going forward in all honesty.

I think Farren was really solid again. The last two years Farren has stepped it up, he's like Newnes, doesn't make errors. You don't see him make silly mistakes and stands up when you need him to.

Everyone entitled to their opinion , mine is he was extremely poor .
Been a fantastic clubman but suggest his work rate & execution was terrible (particularly handball)

Should have been ( sub) yesterday.

Prefer they select any of Wright, Saunders , Mckenzie , Acres to play that role in front of him going forward.
Would not accept the 78 % stuff either unless they call them close enough is good enough.

Last edited:
At least we have stayed true to our recruiting model and haven't recruited blokes like Harry O, Vince, the ex Bulldogs bloke etc, as was duly noted by Bomber.
We won whilst getting games into youth, they lost playing old recruits with no long term future or scope for improvement.
Sucks to be a Demons supporter........
Do we think ray, gilbert, joey, roo and dempster will be here for the next run? I think the truth is that melbourne were so bad they needed vince and co to steady the boat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis R11 St Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back