Analysis R11 St Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Lacked polish today, we missed some of the boys who went out of the team last week. Billings is the one we really missed. I wish we had picked up Hogan, he is 20 and is a star.

Hogan wouldn't have had such a day out if Fisher was playing. Again Dempster played on someone much stronger, Gilbert was used as a KPD which was a poor match up too. Gilbert is a runner not a KP.

Disagree.

Think he was really good tonight.

Got caught a few times but what Melbourne player didn't?

He used the ball very well

I saw it as another game where you could see his mental fragility coming out. He looks broken. He seems like a nice guy but sheesh he looks like you could mess with his head.

Positives:

The obvious ones (Roo, Joey) stood up when needed.
Newnes best game for the club, most defensive pressure I've seen and he set the tone for our tackling pressure.
Gilbo's first game back.
Webster/Geary completely shutting down Garlett.
Thought Membrey showed a little bit despite my thoughts that he definitely isn't up to it.
Ross's best AFL game in his career.

Negatives:

Delaney absolutely torched, thank god the move was made
Our midfield not giving a chop out to Armo/Steven who were dealing with the tag, need to start learning to put heavy hits on the opposition taggers and protect our best players.
Shenton, I feel it is just an accepted fact that he isn't up to it but he tries hard so whatever.
Acres, his disposal is absolutely atrocious, I think everyone has him a bit overrated on here at the moment to be honest. Positive is that he is able to find the ball, negative is that he scorches it but he is still young so fingers crossed he improves.
Longer, still think Hickey should be our number 1 ruck as Longer for mine seems to make average rucks look like world beaters every week but then again I suppose he is learning.

Oh, and we won :)

Would be nice if Lonie got noticed for a rising star nod despite a low disposal tally.

9 disposals, 9 tackles, 2 goals.. His pressure and decision making was very good.

Playing small forward isn't exactly the easiest position on the ground either.

Positives:

Newnes best game for the club, most defensive pressure I've seen and he set the tone for our tackling pressure.
Gilbo's first game back.
Thought Membrey showed a little bit despite my thoughts that he definitely isn't up to it.

Negatives:

Our midfield not giving a chop out to Armo/Steven who were dealing with the tag, need to start learning to put heavy hits on the opposition taggers and protect our best players.
Shenton, I feel it is just an accepted fact that he isn't up to it but he tries hard so whatever.
Acres, his disposal is absolutely atrocious, I think everyone has him a bit overrated on here at the moment to be honest. Positive is that he is able to find the ball, negative is that he scorches it but he is still young so fingers crossed he improves.
Longer, still think Hickey should be our number 1 ruck as Longer for mine seems to make average rucks look like world beaters every week but then again I suppose he is learning.

I thought Shenton was okay. Dunstan, Armo and Steven were not up to their usual standard. Gilbert was great at times but awful at others but very valuable. Made 10 times the mistakes as Shenton. I liked Memberys game tonight too, Longers too.

Just on the 99 tackles thing - don't get me wrong, the pressure was immense and we really tried our guts out, but 99 tackles is only good if you stick them. Too many times we were spinning the man around 360 degrees with his arms free and he was still able to execute a handball.

i agree with this. Definition is a little more grey than others have suggested.

When a player stops an opposition player with possession of the ball from getting his kick or handball away in a legal manner, or reduces the effectiveness of the opposition's disposal. The tackler's action must change the course of play.

The course of play could still flow in Melbourne's favour ultimately.

At least we have stayed true to our recruiting model and haven't recruited blokes like Harry O, Vince, the ex Bulldogs bloke etc, as was duly noted by Bomber.
We won whilst getting games into youth, they lost playing old recruits with no long term future or scope for improvement.
Sucks to be a Demons supporter........

Though as Bomber also noted they had to bring those blokes in to steady the ship, both as leaders and as guys whose confidence hasn't been destroyed by years of losing. We had ready made leaders at the club. Melbourne's worst decision was retiring their leaders prematurely, especially McDonald. Absolutely destroyed the joint. They made smart recruiting decisions over the past two years. Ideally, they wouldn't have had to make those decisions, but they just did (the recruiting decisions after the 2012 season though were woeful when they brought in five players, none of whom was a leader's bootlace). They just have so much repair to do.

They have some good players now though - Viney, Hogan, Brayshaw looks great, presumably Petracca will make it. New McDonald. I also thought Jack Watts played the best game I've seen him play today. Showed some poise and also worked harder defensively than I expected.

Positives:

Gilbo's first game back.

Negatives:

Disagree re Billy, thought he was actually quite good and he nullified Gawn, despite being smaller and lighter. Thought he was better around the ground, but really should've taken that mark in defence when he tried to palm it down.

Great to see Webster beat his opponent convincingly again today to follow up from Rioli last week. Garlett only had 3 touches and a goal, which was a fluke.

He really has all of the tools to become a great medium-sized defender: good speed, desperation and courage and excellent foot skills.

Disagree re Billy, thought he was actually quite good and he nullified Gawn, despite being smaller and lighter. Thought he was better around the ground, but really should've taken that mark in defence when he tried to palm it down.
But Gawn had 16 disposals, 3 marks, 3 goal assists, 39 hit outs while Longer only had 8 disposals, 2 marks, 4 score involvements, 35 hit outs and 6 tackles.

So Billy is a spud and Gawn was a star of the match.

My thoughts FWIW.

Take a look at Jesse Hogan. First played in the VFL in 2013. Playing about his tenth AFL game today. Please for the love of God leave McCartin to develop at Sandy. Same goes for Goddard. Don’t risk your thoroughbreds at this stage of the rebuild. We are playing the long game here.

Jack Lonie will be a star and a cult hero at St.Kilda. Milney’s attitude and Schneider’s class.

Anyone who doesn’t rate Newnes needs their head read. Will be there in big games when the whips are cracking. Bookmark it!

Steven and Armo may not have had the numbers they have been getting but are a massive part of the reason we won today and have won 4 games this year.

People saying Delaney is a stop gap confuse me. Not his best day today but do people know how hard fullbacks are to find? And we made 3gfs with bloody Dawson!!

Jimmy Websters left boot is a thing of beauty. Destroyed his man too.

Shenton was typical Shenton.

Weller is very very important to this football team.

Great to see Gilbo back. Missed Roberton though (the 2015 version not the 2014 one).

99 tackles. Love our game style! Richo is building something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On an oddly somber note, it was really sad to see Jack Watts utterly **** himself at key times during the match, even missing a simple snap that a bloke of his skill should nail in their sleep.

I have never seen a lad so unbelievably devoid of confidence or belief. He's shot unless something drastic happens.

Pathetically heartless bust. Aaron Fiora had more ticker than this soft****

I'm not a fan to be honest. Thought Gawn probably did him around the ground and we got smashed out of the middle.

That mark in defence was a howler. Was good though that he did take a couple of intercept marks which is a nice step

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-are-st-kilda-at.1100893/

Where are St Kilda at? Answer: on track and ahead of schedule!

Almost universally tipped as outright wooden spooners, lucky to maybe win a game or two, the Saints are 4-7 at the midway point of the season and well ahead of expectations. Two of those wins were interstate, and one was against the much more faniced Bulldogs. They were very close to beating Essendon and GWS, both regarded as well ahead of them at the beginning of the season. And while they were clearly outclassed by the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast, and Adelaide, they were very competitive and far from disgraced.

The Saints are basically a team of kids and recycables, with only a handful of senior players remaining. But they have drafted (Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Lonie, Weller, Newnes, Shenton, Sinclair, Ross) and traded (Bruce, Longer, Savage) excellently in the past few years. Add to that potential guns developing in McCartin and Goddard, as well as "potential" unrealised talent such as Lee, Hickey, and White, and their list is in excellent shape even with the impending retirement of some stars. A textbook example of a "rebuild".

Saints fans have every right to feel impressed with where they are at in 2015. Everyone knows they're in a rebuild, and you can clearly see it is heading in the right direction. If they can keep this list together, the Saints will be scary by 2017-8.

Well done Saints. You've set out a clear no BS direction to develop the kids and trade in specific experienced "types". So far, it's working brilliantly.

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-are-st-kilda-at.1100893/

Where are St Kilda at? Answer: on track and ahead of schedule!

Almost universally tipped as outright wooden spooners, lucky to maybe win a game or two, the Saints are 4-7 at the midway point of the season and well ahead of expectations. Two of those wins were interstate, and one was against the much more faniced Bulldogs. They were very close to beating Essendon and GWS, both regarded as well ahead of them at the beginning of the season. And while they were clearly outclassed by the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast, and Adelaide, they were very competitive and far from disgraced.

The Saints are basically a team of kids and recycables, with only a handful of senior players remaining. But they have drafted (Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Lonie, Weller, Newnes, Shenton, Sinclair, Ross) and traded (Bruce, Longer, Savage) excellently in the past few years. Add to that potential guns developing in McCartin and Goddard, as well as "potential" unrealised talent such as Lee, Hickey, and White, and their list is in excellent shape even with the impending retirement of some stars. A textbook example of a "rebuild".

Saints fans have every right to feel impressed with where they are at in 2015. Everyone knows they're in a rebuild, and you can clearly see it is heading in the right direction. If they can keep this list together, the Saints will be scary by 2017-8.

Well done Saints. You've set out a clear no BS direction to develop the kids and trade in specific experienced "types". So far, it's working brilliantly.
No doubt that thread will end up negative trash from certain opposition supporting spuds.

Can guarantee half will be buthurt dogs hacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis R11 St Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back