Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why so many Smith and Murphy and Nicks hate posts?

I thought we're supposed to want the Crows to lose.

I worry that by not selecting McFumbly and Jones, combined with selecting a tall forward line (by more fluke than anything) to stretch their backs on a dry deck at Marvel - we may actually be reasonably competitive tonight :embarrassedv1:

Meaningless wins now serve no long term purpose for us - on and off the field.

Curtin’s played two games as a mid at sanfl level, with the 2nd game his breakout. Another decent game as a mid this week and pretty confident he will be in against the Hawks. Being named as the emergency midfielder tonight is promising and Nicks said his next opportunity at afl level will come as a mid.

Murphy had a good 1st half last week, was never getting dropped; can’t see him being in trouble until Rankine returns.

If Brodie has a similar game to last week, then wouldn’t be surprised to see Worrell in for him next week.

Why so many Smith and Murphy and Nicks hate posts?

I thought we're supposed to want the Crows to lose.

We do want to lose. But I would much rather lose without Nicks, Smith and Murphy in the team.

Give me Curtin, Oscar Ryan and the janitors bucket over those three.

Well, what type of person are you? 🤔
Someone who discusses football and holds people’s opinions to account on a football forum. I don’t make stuff up to troll posters. That type of person.

As for Jenny laughing, she clearly doesn’t get it either.

Interesting you both focussed on me and not the guy who trolled and then made sexist remarks.

Well yes and no .....you would want to hope the aircrafts ECS system is functioning really well
Yes and don’t know , I had burst eardrums
Would have to check with my wife, recall her saying that the flight was below 10,000 ft all the way.
Lots of injured people and Army paramedics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtin’s played two games as a mid at sanfl level, with the 2nd game his breakout. Another decent game as a mid this week and pretty confident he will be in against the Hawks. Being named as the emergency midfielder tonight is promising and Nicks said his next opportunity at afl level will come as a mid.

Murphy had a good 1st half last week, was never getting dropped; can’t see him being in trouble until Rankine returns.

If Brodie has a similar game to last week, then wouldn’t be surprised to see Worrell in for him next week.

He also had that game where he was played further up the ground and absolutely gunned it. When he's been played in roles that don't drag him back and force him to dedicate himself to man v man defending, he seems to already be a class above SANFL. But he's definitely not worthy of a game at AFL level if he's going to have to concentrate too hard on defending. The Brodie Smith or wing role would seem well within his current level and style of performance. Only issue with wing is possibly the amount of running required and we know his first preseason wasn't perfect.

It is interesting to observe the evolution of our team since the start of the year.

At the start of the year we had arguably four groups of players

Definite Best 23 - Crouch, Dawson, Fogarty, Hinge, Keays, Laird, Michalanney, Milera, Murray, O’Brien, Rachele, Rankine, Soligo, Thilthorpe, Walker and Worrell.
From this group only ROB has been dropped this year

Fringe Players competing for the remaining spots - Butts, Berry, Cook, Hamill, Jones, Keane, McHenry, Murphy, Nankervis, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Sholl and Smith.
They have all been given plenty of chances. Keane, Nankervis and Sholl seem to have cemented their spots. Smith, Cook, Butts, Murphy and Berry are holding their spot but are not clearly best 22 imho if everyone is available. McHenry, Pedlar and Schoenberg have dropped lower in the pecking order.

Back up Role Players - Borlase, Burgess, Gollant, Himmelberg, Parnell and Strachan.
They have all been given chances but only Himmelberg has held his spot.

Potential Debutants - Bond, Curtin, Dowling, Edwards, Gallagher, T Murray, Ryan and Taylor. Our four debutants have played well when given a chance. Hopefully Ryan and Edwards will also get a taste before the end of the season. Most would agree that T Murray and Gallagher are not ready for the AFL but Toby is showing good signs.

This week we have 11 of our best 16 playing, 7 from the fringe group, Himmelberg representing the back up boys and 4 Kids.

I see little evidence that our coaches are not willing to give all our players a chance to show if they are up to AFL. I would have liked to have seen Dowling and Taylor played earlier in the season but we are playing fewer old blokes than almost every other team (Murphy and McHenry are not old, they are just not that good 🙄).

It is interesting to observe the evolution of our team since the start of the year.

At the start of the year we had arguably four groups of players

Definite Best 23 - Crouch, Dawson, Fogarty, Hinge, Keays, Laird, Michalanney, Milera, Murray, O’Brien, Rachele, Rankine, Soligo, Thilthorpe, Walker and Worrell.
From this group only ROB has been dropped this year

Fringe Players competing for the remaining spots - Butts, Berry, Cook, Hamill, Jones, Keane, McHenry, Murphy, Nankervis, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Sholl and Smith.
They have all been given plenty of chances. Keane, Nankervis and Sholl seem to have cemented their spots. Smith, Cook, Butts, Murphy and Berry are holding their spot but are not clearly best 22 imho if everyone is available. McHenry, Pedlar and Schoenberg have dropped lower in the pecking order.

Back up Role Players - Borlase, Burgess, Gollant, Himmelberg, Parnell and Strachan.
They have all been given chances but only Himmelberg has held his spot.

Potential Debutants - Bond, Curtin, Dowling, Edwards, Gallagher, T Murray, Ryan and Taylor. Our four debutants have played well when given a chance. Hopefully Ryan and Edwards will also get a taste before the end of the season. Most would agree that T Murray and Gallagher are not ready for the AFL but Toby is showing good signs.

This week we have 11 of our best 16 playing, 7 from the fringe group, Himmelberg representing the back up boys and 4 Kids.

I see little evidence that our coaches are not willing to give all our players a chance to show if they are up to AFL. I would have liked to have seen Dowling and Taylor played earlier in the season but we are playing fewer old blokes than almost every other team (Murphy and McHenry are not old, they are just not that good 🙄).
Ryan is showing enough to be given a crack before year's end, to my eye Edwards is a fair way off given he's essentially a midfielder and who does he replace in there. No real surprise given he'd only had limited exposure to the midfield for the Sandringham Dragons only moving from defence later in the year around when the Dragons then topline mids were required for Vic Metro duties at the Nationals. Had a decent end to the year revolving around playing midfield and forward.

Ryan is showing enough to be given a crack before year's end, to my eye Edwards is a fair way off given he's essentially a midfielder and who does he replace in there. No real surprise given he'd only had limited exposure to the midfield for the Sandringham Dragons only moving from defence later in the year around when the Dragons then topline mids were required for Vic Metro duties at the Nationals. Had a decent end to the year revolving around playing midfield and forward.
I agree, Ryan should be the next one in line. Edwards is not knocking the door down but occasionally shows glimpses that makes me think he could have a future in the game.

With the likelihood of Worrell, Rankine and Tex returning, there is going to be a squeeze on this week’s 23. If only one Kid is promoted then I suspect most people would like it to be Curtin.

I went over to Melbourne a couple of years ago for the Bombers v Crows at Marvel.
Nicks was scared of their fast play so we played lock down footy for the night.
We kick 2.7 for the match
At least we've practised lockdown footy for a whole preseason now

We'll be well prepared

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back