Autopsy R22 v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

What's with the stupid amount of free kicks we've been giving away lately?

Free kick counts in our last 7 games ...

v Bulldogs (lost 19-26)
v Collingwood (won 19-17)
v Adelaide (lost 20-27)
v St Kilda (lost 19-28)
v Melbourne (lost 18-26)
v North Melbourne (lost 22-28)
v West Coast (lost 16-22)

So we've lost the free kick count in 6 of our past 7 games and conceded 26 or more free kicks in 5 of our last 7 games. Surely this is not par for the course?

We can sit here and say things like, "maybe our tackling technique needs to be better" or "we need to reflex give more", but we're all aware that every team gets leeway on stuff like that in one way or another.

Our mids seemed like they were on a hiding to nothing in the tackle today, and some of the decisions against Ryder for merely being superior to Roughead were diabolical.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even an elderly homeless woman covered in sores.
When I am 75 and toothless that will probably be an opportunity to not miss.

Just came back from seeing Bendigo metal band Mason, and Harlott. Another speed/ thrash metal band. What a day. I would say more but my kids read this and I don't want to traumatise them more than their mother already does to them

Every single young bloke weve debuted this year has shown something to get excited about. Although they fumble and make mistakes at times its only natural they do

Atley hands
Johnson deceptive pace and aggression caught a few wb players off guard today
Marshall athleticism and nous
Spp is spp
Houston legend

Followed by howard, bonner, frampton et al theres a lot of promise

still pmsl

1ud503.gif

I exclaimed in laughter at the time "that was like I was watching fat park footballers"

Still makes me angry. This guy has missed 3 of the easiest shots from the goal square this year that you'll ever get.
Still thought he played a good game. One of our hardest runners in that first half. Like Boak, does a lot of unrewarded two way running.

A good thing it was Ollie who had that ugly ball drop shot on goal. Sam would have been crucified for that.

What's with the stupid amount of free kicks we've been giving away lately?

Free kick counts in our last 7 games ...

v Bulldogs (lost 19-26)
v Collingwood (won 19-17)
v Adelaide (lost 20-27)
v St Kilda (lost 19-28)
v Melbourne (lost 18-26)
v North Melbourne (lost 22-28)
v West Coast (lost 16-22)

So we've lost the free kick count in 6 of our past 7 games and conceded 26 or more free kicks in 5 of our last 7 games. Surely this is not par for the course?
Our tackling technique is poor. So many times yesterday the Bullies got away handballs even though we laid a tackle.

Add,

The piping hot HTB against Boak on the wing which our man lost his shit over as he got a handball away.

The piping hot HTB against SPP on the flank.

Truly fascinating in isolation, moreso that we overcame it.

I know it wasn't in the last but add that 50 against Westhoff and you eyebrows start launching off your face.

For some reason, we get pinged for things other teams get away with. Had it been one of our players who put the ball on the ground while being tackled, instead of Saint Bob, there is no question it would have been holding the ball.

To the commentators' credit yesterday, they were questioning a the umpires' softer when the question was there to be asked.

I know it wasn't in the last but add that 50 against Westhoff and you eyebrows start launching off your face.

For some reason, we get pinged for things other teams get away with. Had it been one of our players who put the ball on the ground while being tackled, instead of Saint Bob, there is no question it would have been holding the ball.

To the commentators' credit yesterday, they were questioning a the umpires' softer when the question was there to be asked.

I find the Fox Footy commentary will generally callout poor decisions while ch7 didn't notice the umpires nothing to see here etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be disappointed if the Jonas bump was graded as intentional. To me it looked like a reflexive bump as Dalhaus was running into Jonas's path. Players literally do this all the time. Dalhaus ran head first into Jonas's bicep, not his elbow nor his shoulder.

off the ball incident = auto intentional.

fairly straight forward intentional, high and low 2 down to 1 until they apply his bad record and i have no idea what impact that has.

Last edited:
A lot's been said about Houston's elite kicking. Yesterday, I saw two more examples of that talent. In one passage he was forced to kick on his left foot, and nailed a 35 metre pass. Later in the game he takes possession near the wing, spots Robbie up forward and kicks a perfect across ground pass that gives Robbie's opponent zero chance to spoil. He's just great to watch.

Really solid win in the conditions. Dogs were playing for finals, this was their opening marquee Ballarat game with huge crowd support, had the tricky breeze in the first quarter. It was not an easy ground to play. Wasn't much bigger than Unley or Norwood in length. I thought we were coached really well in how we set up defensively and in the last we played the ground and breeze properly. We ignored half forward and went to the hot spots from the centre line.

They settled earlier but we contested hard and controlled most of the first quarter. Paddy's early goals were priceless.

We didn't make enough of the breeze in the second but the umpires made it hard work for us after the Gray free and goal. Almost like they were evening up the conditions. Lot of drop ball and throws let go.

Third quarter the Dogs started hurting us at clearances but the defence held strong and late in the quarter we hit back. Our big bodied mids started to wear them down and took control halfway through the last. We won centre clearances and hit hard and direct.

Dixon was a colossus. Owned the air and he thought we was Russell Ebert on the ground. A 203cm Russell Ebert.

Boak a massive captain's game. Heap of ball, lots of hurt factor, broke away from packs and set up play.

Jonas a wrecking ball. Might get games but plays his best close to the edge. Monstered Bont a few times.

Neade busy and found the ball to go with his pace and pest factor.

SPP looked refreshed and more of an outside as well as physical threat.

Ryder immense in the ruck and around the ground.

Amon's leg is a weapon. Took the ball from half back to inside 50.

Bonner showed promise.

Polec' s run carry and slipperiness important. Set shot finishing has improved too.

Sam Gray on one leg for most of the game was strong. He drives me crazy but his strength and courage are unquestionable. Misses from the square kicks an inside out torp from the boundary through the middle. Let's call it even.

Howard looks so reliable in defence. Goes with leading forwards and gets thise long arms in to spoil. Strong overhead and quick on the rebound.

Clurey and Houston reliable overhead and by foot. Houston could land a football on the end of a needle. Little less trying to run around opponents though. ;)

Marshall has been spoken of a lot. To be brutal he was a liability for 3 quarters. He even shanked his warm up kicks. But in the last quarter just some deft and sublime touches to open play. Has radar guided hands when going for the mark. Gets to the ball from bizarre places and held a couple of clean grabs late. Worth another game. Nervous as a kitten.

Well fought win from positions we often falter. Tough contested footy all day and well coached all round. The kind of tough win needed before finals.

Every single young bloke weve debuted this year has shown something to get excited about. Although they fumble and make mistakes at times its only natural they do

Atley hands
Johnson deceptive pace and aggression caught a few wb players off guard today
Marshall athleticism and nous
Spp is spp
Houston legend

Followed by howard, bonner, frampton et al theres a lot of promise
You forgot Atley --> Cassisi type with bigger body.

Atley Vs SPP will be a Boak V Gray debate all over again. :thumbsu:

Just got home after such a massive day.

It was definitely worth the trip down, and the Ballarat council did a good job with organising shuttle busses to and from the ground.

I would recommend the trip for future Port games down there.
second this few more upgrades such as more toilets and food vans and a bigger replay screen and it will be a good second ground for them. Thought the day was fantastic enjoyed it more than etihad

Only thing it can't be is a week. It's either nothing or it's 2 or more (with an early plea). Because of his record, if it gets classified as a 2 game suspension, it automatically gets an extra week.

So, example: classified as intentional, low impact, high contact gets classified as 2 weeks, 1 with an early plea. Only because of his bad record, extra one game on top becomes 3 weeks, 2 with an early plea.
Due to media calling out wines lack of suspension games from prev week incident ..they will even score and jonas will get 3

after he tackled him he gave him a push to the back of the neck/head as he was getting up which resulted in a bit of argy bargy. The sort of thing that happens about 58 times in your average game of footer
Not to Bob!?

Not The Bob

Not Our Blessed Bob

:screamcat:

I exclaimed in laughter at the time "that was like I was watching fat park footballers"
More like mini leagers.

It is funny to watch now though.

He does actually have far better skills than he has been showing. Especially in front of goals.

I hope that left foot snap sparks him. He could be a genuine gun if he can find his goal kicking mojo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A lot's been said about Houston's elite kicking. Yesterday, I saw two more examples of that talent. In one passage he was forced to kick on his left foot, and nailed a 35 metre pass. Later in the game he takes possession near the wing, spots Robbie up forward and kicks a perfect across ground pass that gives Robbie's opponent zero chance to spoil. He's just great to watch.
Thatkick to Robbie was amazing.

Not just the kick but the vision!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy R22 v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back