Game Day R24 Deathride - Hawks, Dogs and Blues edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand the reaction since so many people around here read one post and act like it’s happening. Like Sturt & Switta are now being traded too according to 1 or 2 rumours which turn out to be made up opinions.

Both are contracted and both have filled a role this year which will be required in some form next year. Of course they could just pull the pin if they wake up and think I’m done. But until that day, it’d be nice not to read about it every 5 minutes like it’s happened.
Just FYI, my post was not based on "reading one post" and then assuming because of someone else's post on this site that Fyfe and SonSon are retiring.

It might stun you but my world of information is broader than this board, and even wider than the internet. Even includes actual conversations with real humans including some people that actually have a bit to do with real actual AFL contract management. Amazing ey?

When SonSon and Fyfey both trundle out for round 1 next year you and your two mates that both know so much can all triumph with such a huge win over me and tell everyone how much you know about what is happening. Until then, when I post and say "this could well be the last game" I'd appreciate if folks didn't pretend my post said "will be".

If we’re all on edge about the games tomorrow, you can only imagine how the players are feeling, to say nothing of Longmuir.

We’ve had the lows this season now it’s time for the highs.

Just FYI, my post was not based on "reading one post" and then assuming because of someone else's post on this site that Fyfe and SonSon are retiring.

It might stun you but my world of information is broader than this board, and even wider than the internet. Even includes actual conversations with real humans including some people that actually have a bit to do with real actual AFL contract management. Amazing ey?

When SonSon and Fyfey both trundle out for round 1 next year you and your two mates that both know so much can all triumph with such a huge win over me and tell everyone how much you know about what is happening. Until then, when I post and say "this could well be the last game" I'd appreciate if folks didn't pretend my post said "will be".
Grandma could die tomorrow too, doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to everyone discuss it today.

In Bali so I've got some decent distractions - really hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

We really deserve to be in the 8 though and we've been served an absolute shit salad of a fixture this year, plus some trash umpiring and bad luck playing 4 Top 4 teams in the final month of footy when the injuries finally began to mount... just a little bit of luck our way to make this game live isn't too much to ask?

Let's see what the day brings.

If todays game against Port ends up being a dead rubber it’ll be extremely disappointing.

Even if that means GWS or St Kilda win, and we end up bottling a chance at finals against Port, I’d take that over the Bulldogs and Carlton winning and rendering our game null from the start.

It’d essentially be an elimination final against a top 4 team, at home. We need that big game experience, we just don’t have it. Every time the pressure and expectation has been on this season we have crumbled. I’d say 1 finals campaign in the past 9 seasons as a club plays a part in that.

If we can’t make finals, at the very least we need to play in games with a big finals like atmosphere and ramifications. Today will be that if GWS or St Kilda can win.

Can’t believe we have to rely on other clubs considering where we were 3 weeks ago. Choked so many winnable games this season, we only have ourselves to blame.

The deathride in pictures, brought to you by MS Paint. This is the probability tree according to Sportsbet odds.

1724546742212.png

Dogs win and Blues lose clearly our best hope (and this doesn't account for the fact that in that scenario, Port only have to avoid losing by more than 4 goals to stay top 2).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly think that the Swans at the SCG is better than Port at AO or Cats in Geelong. Can’t say I disagree.

Interested to see if their players have a dip.

I'm not sold Bullies will lose, even though both teams are very good and both capable; so I feel like it most likely comes down to the Saints/Carlton game and the hope that their injuries have just caught up with them (in a non-sadistic sense, I'd never deliberately wish injuries upon anyone..) with a team (Saints) in weirdly better form than I'd have imagined come recently.

Of course, if either of the desired teams lose, opening up a spot - the Dockers still have to 'get it done', which would be ironic if Ross has pathed the way only for us to fail at the critical moment. Proper squeaky bum time and definitely one that doesn't sit comfortably with moi.

Even though Freo can be their own worst enemies when it comes to handling the pressure, I feel that 2024 overall has been a good sample size of what's to come and the fact that we can mix it with the best of them and beat anyone on any given day. Just not been consistent with it. I feel like they played good, attractive footy (mostly!) and Treacy in particular was a revelation to watch. Also Pearce has significantly impressed as Captain and his injury was really cruel. Andy and Caleb are great dance partners and continue to grow and Youngy in there has been hot to trot too. I feel like Clark is an unsung hero of sorts and has been rock solid again and is showing why he was a necessary trade in.

On that basis I feel Freo still "deserve" September action, which will be good for the team going forward, even if it's an elimination final that they lose. It's better to be involved and have that expectation you belong at the pointy end than not. Of course it's disappointing to lose, the Collingwood semi in 2022 still stings a bit....you always hope if you can make it, you can weave some magic! If they don't make it, they only have themselves to blame, but it still hurts. Let's just pray for some miracle work from the clouds beyond..!

Here's hoping

GWS CAN GET ABSOLUTELY ****ED

Nah I think they are still going to win. Brent Daniel’s is the only important out from those 3. Their team is still very good and I still think they would rather top 2. He may have been injured and they don’t want to risk him with finals in acouple of weeks. The other two are meh anyway.

If they were tanking there’s way more important players to leave out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah I think they are still going to win. Brent Daniel’s is the only important out from those 3. Their team is still very good and I still think they would rather top 2. He may have been injured and they don’t want to risk him with finals in acouple of weeks. The other two are meh anyway.

Bedford’s pressure is really good, he’s a big out.

If they genuinely cared about top 2 then they wouldn't be resting players for soreness. They're happy to phone this in and get the week one vs Sydney. I doubt we're gonna see much of an effort from their players today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day R24 Deathride - Hawks, Dogs and Blues edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back