Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home – Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final – Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final – Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 – Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home – Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home – Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home – Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home – Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually be stunned if Horse picked Adams over Cleary and Campbell. Performance has to mean something, even this close to September.

And it's not like Adams had been setting the world on fire in the weeks before, either...

Re resting players, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Grundy rested this week. He's rested players before. Do we think Warner came to Horse and asked if he could sit out last week cause of his calf, or that Rowbottom said ouchies my cheek hurts too much for this week? Of course not.

I think Grundy would've been rested already if we had top two sewn up. But we didn't, and I think Horse thinks we are ****ed without Grundy so couldn't risk being without him for a week.
There's no way Cleary gets picked over Adams. Adams form has been down but his best is better than Cleary's shown so far.

Campbell I don't think is playing the same role so it's hard to say

Horse will back his players until it gets embarrassing - in that regard I respect him.

It will take another single possession game from Adams for Horse to say ‘enough is too much’.

Clark was a good example of that, as was Ladhams.
I think the difference is that in previous weeks, the options were Adams or an unknown from the reserves, like Sheldrick or Cleary or Warner Jr.

The options this week - depending on which of the injured players, if any, return - could end up being Adams or a Cleary/Campbell, guys who actually had really good games in the best 22 that contributed to a win. It's a lot harder to snub that kind of a player over someone you haven't even tried yet.

Well it's Adelaide I guess.
Not Port.

PTSD is deep
Ladhams actually tried a bit in the recent Port game. He was lost at times, lacking composure, sure. But he didn't look as bored with the whole "trying" thing as some of his teammates.

He's had some decent seniors form in the past when called upon, along with some bad games which resulted in him getting dropped. But he's been a consistent VFL performer the last month, getting some goals too. So I don't see him being given a game as #1 ruck, to relieve Grundy who shows no signs of suddenly being less exhausted this week, as such a negative.

Why does everyone think resting a player is the answer to everything

Not too little not too much don't want to mess with building momentum which is what this game should be about

There's no way Cleary gets picked over Adams. Adams form has been down but his best is better than Cleary's shown so far.

Campbell I don't think is playing the same role so it's hard to say
Cleary just had a fantastic performance in the very role that Horse has shown he is desperate to have in the team this year.

He wants a zippy pressure forward.

If not Wicks, then Fox.

If not Fox, then Cleary.

I believe that is why he so stubbornly persisted with Wicks & Fox in that position despite the fans' objections, and I also believe that is why he so stubbornly hesitated to pull the trigger with Parker, who is not zippy, in full games playing forward.

This isn't me being a Cleary stan (though I unapologetically am.) I just genuinely struggle to see how Horse is going to leave him out this week. May be a different story for next week depending on how he goes against the Crows.

I think the difference is that in previous weeks, the options were Adams or an unknown from the reserves, like Sheldrick or Cleary or Warner Jr.

The options this week - depending on which of the injured players, if any, return - could end up being Adams or a Cleary/Campbell, guys who actually had really good games in the best 22 that contributed to a win. It's a lot harder to snub that kind of a player over someone you haven't even tried yet.
Yes, good point - the form line does change.

I’m no fan of Adams,but he did play his role early in the year. - but guven the choice of Adams or Cleary….with Parker in the team - I’d go Cleary. He’s smart.

I would rest the following

grundy
Heeney
Chad W
Blakey
Hayward

Play the kids, this game is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
No game is meaningless.
Statistically. You win three on a row into finals in first place. You play a qf, a prelim and a gf.

Form is a constant.

Cleary just had a fantastic performance in the very role that Horse has shown he is desperate to have in the team this year.

If not Wicks, then Fox.

If not Fox, then Cleary.

I believe that is why he so stubbornly persisted with Wicks & Fox in that position despite the fans' objections, and I also believe that is why he so stubbornly hesitated to pull the trigger with Parker, who is not zippy, in full games playing forward.

This isn't me being a Cleary stan (though I unapologetically am.) I just genuinely struggle to see how Horse is going to leave him out this week. May be a different story for next week depending on how he goes against the Crows.

Endurance forward

Up and back, up and back

Why does everyone think resting a player is the answer to everything

Not too little not too much don't want to mess with building momentum which is what this game should be about
Not every player is building momentum. Some are losing it. Hayward granted has battled on at times looking sore, but again, I don't see the point in making him struggle through an additional game.

In Grundy's case, we're building momentum (somewhat) as a team, while he's really off his game in the ruck, so what exactly are we putting in jeopardy. I'd rather have him fresher for finals, and maybe we see/find something with Pete, in case he's needed later on.

Yes, good point - the form line does change.

I’m no fan of Adams,but he did play his role early in the year. - but guven the choice of Adams or Cleary….with Parker in the team - I’d go Cleary. He’s smart.
Yeah I'm an Adams fan, I certainly think he can play a meaningful role for us this year. But I think selection integrity matters and it is partly why we got the game we got on Friday night from guys like Cleary and Campbell and Parker, who all seemed desperate to prove a point after weeks of being on the fringes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not every player is building momentum. Some are losing it. Hayward granted has battled on at times looking sore, but again, I don't see the point in making him struggle through an additional game.

Maybe it is a good example. Maybe Will's knee is fd until surgery but he can't make it worse

Exec summary for those who can’t watch the game:

* there’ll be no significant team changes. Nobody will be rested.

* at 1/4 time, Swans 14 points down

* by 3/4 time, Swans 26 points up

* bruise free final quarter, Swans win by 16

* Horse answers every question at the post-match presser by talking about “the contest”
Agreed, and all too predictable.

Yep, and left and right, left and right, too.

Cleary was pinging from man to man like a pinball. It was chaotic and cool to watch.

Would love him to back it up again this week but no shame if he doesn't.
And just some really smart decisions with the ball, that our experienced players might not even make.

Yeah I'm an Adams fan, I certainly think he can play a meaningful role for us this year. But I think selection integrity matters and it is partly why we got the game we got on Friday night from guys like Cleary and Campbell and Parker, who all seemed desperate to prove a point after weeks of being on the fringes.
Well said. Parker is in imho, not in the conversation -he’s in.

- but yes - current form vs enthusiasm is a juggle.

Adams disposal worries me - it’s sub-standard compared to even Parker

What I saw from Cleary , well, he didn’t ‘read the room’ a couple of times…but he was thinking three steps ahead.

If not Wicks, then Fox.

If not Fox, then Cleary.

Campbell played a better game than Cleary and they played the same role against Easendon

Campbell played a better game than Cleary and they played the same role against Easendon
They were both up forward, but not sure it was exactly the same role. Campbell more half forward, but moved up to join almost every other player when defending. Cleary did venture into the back half occasionally, but was often left as the most advanced forward to hassle the 2 or 3 defenders left back for the Bombers, so his was definitely a more defensive/pressure role.

Both did well anyway.

Non Swans fans who didn't actively look for this - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...thout-meaning-to-heres-how-to-fix-it.1381066/

This preview is proudly brought to you by BigFooty losing a draft (luckily mostly backed up), having compatibility issues with OpenOffice (like removing spaces, hopefully all fixed), and the author deciding to head into town on a Showdown night, then finishing the preview feeling like he's playing a first quarter for us.

Match Details – The Johnston Armstrong Cup

Round 24 - Sydney Swans v Adelaide Powerstancers at the SCG
Saturday 24 August 2024 - 7:40 PM (AEST)

The Prologue

Known in some South Australian circles as a wooden device to which non-amateur footballers are strapped, in the lead up to the season proper, this "prologue" and the following, were fixing to be difficult to write. It's been two years since I penned my only other preview, and such was the outpouring of Crows source material, it was feared that nothing could happen to replenish the stocks (as I didn't have private conversations with players to use to my advantage).

Until one great man rose to the occasion.

View attachment 2083418

All jokes aside (for 2 seconds), we were lucky to get away with that. And for any Crows fans perusing our board this week, I'm sorry I'm not going to be your favourite poster if you keep reading. Heck, I'm nowhere near this board's favourite poster. That honour belongs to Ben Keays.

This upcoming clash will be within 5 days of the anniversary of that fateful night. Where we survived an actually impressive onslaught, and the Adelaide Football Club and its supporters handled themselves with such grace in the aftermath, as if they were the only club to ever be on the receiving end of a poor umpiring decision, in a season defining match.

It also keenly marks the reunion of our man Joel and his favourite defensive unit. Some absolute dingus was overseas for that one, and home for the Port game, sad to say. Down on goal-kicking form recently, but a couple late against the Dons, can Amartey bring the Party back home to the SCG? Assuming he pulls up ok of course, and isn't replaced by another Joel, though we'll have to workshop slogans if that switch comes off, because "Hamboree" is questionable.

Past 5

Our winning streak against the Crows stretches back 5-0 to 2019 BC (Before Covid).

View attachment 2083419

Recent Form

Swans: W-W-L-L-Lloooyyydd
Crows: L-W-L-L-W

Both teams have had some mixed form recently. Though to be fair on the Crows, they competed against Port and had a big win against the Dogs, which we could only dream of. And they had a close, hard fought loss away at "beautiful" GMHBA Stadium on that same day we capitulated pathetically to the South Australian team that's playing finals.

The Crows will be wanting to go out on a high note, though probably not quite like Crouch and Stengle in 2020. We'll just be looking to hit the finals bye building on our improved form, and without any further injuries.

The Match-Ups

JJ on Dawson - I think we're all in agreement, despite some debate over how personally aggrieved we should be for his return to SA, none of us want to see him play well this week. So to that end, it's a battle of Jordan vs Jordon, a struggle so immense that some Swans fans seemingly play out daily on this board.

Fox/Cleary on Sholl, or Fox/Hayward on Michalanney - Crows spread the intercepting and rebounding around their non KPDs. Michalanney was the main man against the Power, Sholl however had clocked up metres gained, rebound 50s and intercept possessions in the weeks before that. It depends if Sholl goes back, given he's also susceptible to some turnovers, so Cleary might get the job to hassle him (a task he looks perfectly up to). If Fox is fit, I'd be putting him on one of these guys however (and leaving him there for the whole game Horse).

Amartey on Keane - Crows will do anything to avoid this, but Amartey has to get himself on Keane if he plays. The Crows can be susceptible to psychological damage, though usually self-inflicted in the off-season, so a repeat might reap rewards.

TMac on Thilthorpe, Rampe on Tex/Burgess, Melican on Fogarty, Cunningham on Rachele

The Crows tall spearheads are quite dangerous on their day, so it's not really a matter of dominating these guys one-on-one, but limiting quality delivery and helping teammates. I suspect we're just going to need to outscore them. Tex is no guarantee to get back, and I'm not sure the Crows risk him for the final round, so Burgess (4 goals in SANFL) might return. With Rankine out, there's more pressure on the talls, plus Rachele and Keays to kick a winning score, so I'd expect Cunners to get Rachele and would prefer the bigger Mills to spend some time locking down on Keays.

Longmire vs Nicks - There was actually some overlap for these two, with Longmire joining our coaching staff in 2002, Nicks retiring a few years later. One will be seeking to lead his side to another Grand Final, the other will be keeping an eye on Seek, unless finally the Crows make it back to September action next year.

Some Oppo Stats (prior to Showdown)

Crows are 3-6 away from AO this season, including wins against North and narrowly over a sliding Bombers. After going 2-8 last year, with wins against the Eagles in a dead rubber final round and a narrow victory over the 2023 Hawks. Not a great away record, though they have pushed a number of good sides.

Crows rank 17th in least opponent clearances this year, which bodes well for us, a team that is sometimes as "clearance challenged" as seen in one of those truck/underpass videos.

Crows rank 4th for least opponent marks per game, which is fine, because we usually don't feel like doing that anyway.

The Billboard #1 Single when the Crows last won a Grand Final was Aerosmith's I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. #1 at the Box Office was the first Rush Hour movie. 3 days after that game, Australian police drama Stingers made its TV premiere.

Crows rank 5th in tackles. The Crows are certainly not toothless overall, they have a number of players who won't shirk the contest and will make us earn it, despite their ladder position. No joshing!

Lastly, the Crows are ranked 5th in Rebound 50s, and 3rd in restricting opposition Rebound 50s, so it's just as well we have longstanding excellent pressure forwards who lock the ball in, and have our intercept/turnover game up and going consistently.

Our Changes / Team

Disclaimer: This is what I would do, not what Horse will do, stating what should be obvious. I am aware of Horse's tendencies to not manage players. Although he did with Amartey, so it gives me some hope he will finally do it (in a round which is not ideal for managing players).

Out: Grundy (man), Hayward (man), Adams (man/omit), Corey (omit)
In: Ladhams, Fox, Chad, Sheldrick

Wouldn't take any chances with tired/sore players this week, hence the Grundy and Hayward changes. This all also depends on how Amartey pulls up (Hamling in, or Isaac at FF), whether Chad and Robbie are ready to go, and if Papley wills his way to availability. I'm bringing Ladhams in as I think he can put in a shift as no.1 ruck, and has been among some VFL goals recently. Heeney gets a mini break, playing mostly forward.

I'm loathe to drop Corey, he doesn't deserve it and backed up well from his sub appearance in the VFL, but I'd like to get Sheldrick a game under his belt, even as sub, in case he's called upon in finals. We may be able to arrange some reserves matches with GWS, also out of VFL finals, and if that's the case next weekend, then I'd probably keep Corey in seniors as sub and give Sheldrick a full game there to continue building fitness (unless the timings work out so Gus could play both). Horse will likely keep Adams, drop Corey and not play Sheldrick anyway.

FB: Cunningham | McCartin | Rampe
HB: Roberts | Melican | Blakey
C: Gulden | Ch Warner | Florent
HF: Campbell | McDonald | Fox
FF: Heeney | Amartey | Parker
R: Ladhams | Rowbottom | Jordon
Int: McLean | Lloyd (wing/HB) | Mills (def) | Cleary (fwd)
Sub: Sheldrick
E: Hamling | Co Warner | McAndrew

Final Words

It's hard to know whether the Crows might shut up shop after the Showdown, with their collective minds on post-season trips to Bali and Broken Hill. Though in 2024, the Crows have had some excellent games and showed some fight against Top 8 sides that other clubs should be jealous of.

However, having calmly advocated their way to what some considered to be an easier fixture, with expectations of long-promised contention, the Crows have at times been so disappointing to watch, that poor Sloaney retired prematurely as "the risk of another eye injury was too great." In all seriousness though, it does sound like a horrible end to a classy and courageous career, the type of leader every club loves to have. All the best to him and his family.

We're on the improve, with a couple of wins, following some horrific form and effort. Pies and Dons were mediocre teams on the nights, but we have gotten our mojo back in patches. After a better start against Collingwood, we were lucky to be within a kick at quarter time versus Essendon. With any luck, the Crows will remain half an hour behind, and we might get away with it, before willing ourselves to a potentially challenging win, growing in confidence, and getting a much needed week off.

Swans by 34.

Bonus Content

Buddy vs Talia
The Keays "Goal"
Jesse White vs Crows 2013
Collingwood aren't that bad they beat the Lions.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tricky game from a management point of view. Final dress rehearsal and despite the 2nd half against Essendon probably still chasing a bit of form.
I'd be comfortable with a mass resting....but understand if the coaches would rather chase form and playing our best side to do it, which sounds like we are going to do listening to Horse's post game comments. In which case, hopefully we put in a good confidence boosting performance to make it worthwhile playing them.

Definitely should at least rest a couple though.
  • There is no way should Grundy play - been great but his follow up contested work has dropped off the last 6 weeks, so need to get him physically right, 2 weeks off would do his body the world of good. We need to get him to win this thing.
  • Hayward has clearly been playing sore and should be resting too - again great season, but keeps coming off with that knee, so ffs give it 2 weeks off now that we can. Our leading goal kicker, so pretty important to get his body right for finals I'd have thought.

Bring in whoever you want....either give the nexts ins a game or throw a debut to a kid. Most our next ins are kids anyway.

Mainly, no injuries and no silly suspensions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back