Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home – Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final – Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final – Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 – Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home – Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home – Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home – Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home – Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood aren't that bad they beat the Lions.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I did say on the night. Teams don't put in the exact same performances every week. Both Collingwood and Essendon have been capable of some good performances, I just don't think their games against us were that.

You wasting time at a dead rubber too
Mate. Half our season has been dead rubbers. Do we just not go to any games? I guess it is hard for some theatre goers to understand the whole idea of going to games rain, hail, shine or worn out rubber.

This game is kinda important for me because personally I am not convinced. I don't want to be going into finals unconvinced. So I'd like us to play something close to our best footy this week.

Play our best footy, field our best side, get our players in the best form possible.

I understand the urge to want to try Sheldrick over Adams, but I feel any of our mids could get 30+ regularly if played as the rover in our VFL side. If we are looking for someone to offer more in a ball use sense than Adams, then I'm not sure Sheldrick is that person.

Only player I'd be dropping Adams for would be one of the returning injured players.
I think Sheldrick uses the pill quite nicely. Very clever at times. Adams has to go, not to rest but dropped. Averaging 10 disposals for half mid half forward simply is not good enough.

There is no point in resting half the team. There is a bye next week. Sheldrick needs to get a game just in case we need him during the finals. Only bring players back if they are fit. Papley would be ok. McInerney not so much, needs a hit out in the reserves but won't get that. Maybe send him to the Sydney Footy league for a week lol.

There is an interesting situation in the reserves. Arnold is playing quite well so I hear. If McCartin needs a big rest maybe he could come in. Anyway a trash match

Well said. Parker is in imho, not in the conversation -he’s in.

- but yes - current form vs enthusiasm is a juggle.

Adams disposal worries me - it’s sub-standard compared to even Parker

What I saw from Cleary , well, he didn’t ‘read the room’ a couple of times…but he was thinking three steps ahead.
Adams’ disposal isn’t the primary issue.

He played only 65% ToG and had minimal impact prior to being subbed.

The week prior was a 10 disposal game.

He’s better than that.

There’s surely a niggle.

Corey has been around the 1sts most of the season.
Angus has been nowhere near it.

His time will come. Next year.

However I'm a firm believer in moving into a finals series with minimal changes to a team.

Consistency is key.
Gus has been injured until recently. Give him a game. We need players at the pace just in case we def injuries. The more who are of AFL standard, that get a game into the better. Corey probably would not have played as many games as he has, had McInerney been fit. Gus would have given a few mids a rest had he been fit. He has proven fe can match it at AFL level

IN: Ladhams, Hamling
OUT: Grundy, Hayward

If Chad plays:
IN: Ladhams, Hamling, Chad W
OUT: Grundy, Hayward, Corey W

Adams sub
Having Hamling, Amartey, McLean and McDonald is too much I reckon.

From your team you could just leave Ladhams out and play McLean ruck for the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Grundy, Heeney, Tmac, Blakey & Hayward.

Ins: Don't care

Heeney & Tmac far too valuable to risk injury in a dead rubber & Grundy/Blakey/Hayward look banged up.

I think Sheldrick uses the pill quite nicely. Very clever at times. Adams has to go, not to rest but dropped. Averaging 10 disposals for half mid half forward simply is not good enough.

There is no point in resting half the team. There is a bye next week. Sheldrick needs to get a game just in case we need him during the finals. Only bring players back if they are fit. Papley would be ok. McInerney not so much, needs a hit out in the reserves but won't get that. Maybe send him to the Sydney Footy league for a week lol.

There is an interesting situation in the reserves. Arnold is playing quite well so I hear. If McCartin needs a big rest maybe he could come in. Anyway a trash match

Adams doesn't average 10 disposals

If he is exhausted and sore, what is to stop him still putting his hand up for selection?

Players should be trusted to some degree, but it's fairly obvious in this case, and the coaches have already been thinking about it, so why should the coaches listen to him.
There was a soft goal that Essendon scored where swans players didn’t run back into D50. Grundy was the closest to the man who marked and was barely jogging. It’s one example but it demonstrates the lack of desperation Grundy had vs the start of the season.

The man needs a break. And if he says he doesn’t need a break and this is true, then he needs a kick up the arse (NB: my view is that he does just need a break).

It’s also prudent management to give our second string ruck a chance to play first ruck through a game. If Grundy goes down, it’d be good for Ladhams to be ready.

Not every player is building momentum. Some are losing it. Hayward granted has battled on at times looking sore, but again, I don't see the point in making him struggle through an additional game.

In Grundy's case, we're building momentum (somewhat) as a team, while he's really off his game in the ruck, so what exactly are we putting in jeopardy. I'd rather have him fresher for finals, and maybe we see/find something with Pete, in case he's needed later on.

A 3 week rest is too long though. You risk them coming back rusty and having to play themselves back into form. We don't want that in the finals.

Having Hamling, Amartey, McLean and McDonald is too much I reckon.

From your team you could just leave Ladhams out and play McLean ruck for the week.
This actually why I am keen for Ladhams to get a go as first ruck. I’m not sure he is our next best first ruck. If he flops then we know what to do in finals if Grundy goes down - we switch McLean to first ruck, Amartey to second, and reconfigure our forward line (probably Parker as third tall rather than Hamling, but no harm also giving Hamling a go this week to see how he goes, as we should rest Hayward).

Mills loose behind the ball and Florent on the wing, hope we keep doing that.
Mills back makes the whole defensive unit so much more solid. I reckon it also means that Macca can take Campbell’s role (who should be half forward) and then we can have both Macca and Blakey streaming off half back to open up the game (which may also take some opposition pressure off Blakey).

A 3 week rest is too long though. You risk them coming back rusty and having to play themselves back into form. We don't want that in the finals.
Yeah, that's why I have been saying that exact thing the last few weeks and in the preview again. This is the worst week to rest anyone. But we haven't done it yet, and I just don't see what playing an exhausted Grundy and hobbling Hayward is going to achieve.

Those are the only 2 I'm resting.

Adams I'm happy to just drop.

And with him and Grundy, I'd query exactly how they would have to be played back into form, what form?

Exec summary for those who can’t watch the game:

* there’ll be no significant team changes. Nobody will be rested.

* at 1/4 time, Swans 14 points down

* by 3/4 time, Swans 26 points up

* bruise free final quarter, Swans win by 16

* Horse answers every question at the post-match presser by talking about “the contest”
You could have posted this at the start of the season. I could have taken a pottery class on weekends.

Guess who's missing out on a free mug / ashtray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back