Review R6: Port v West Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think westhoff should be in the forward line while ryder and sarge are there...

I dont know why we just dont plonk him on a wing...

two's company and three's a crowd

I think Westhoff is struggling adapting. He's also been worked out a bit, put a runner on him and it takes away most of his tools. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would think at least the last 3 games this year he's been stood by someone significantly shorter than him?

Also can someone smarter and more astute with football tell me if Aaron young just isn't playing his defensive role in stoppages? It worries me for someone clearly better offensively than (hate using this comparison but I have to) Moore, is consistently picked behind him. I know for a fact Moore is underrated on this board for the small things he does in stoppages, but is young overrated due to to possibly not doing these? Seems he is often the one that is set up to get the ball, not block for a superior player. Any time we are setting young up over a Boak or Ebert I worry a little.

Why isn't Westhoff ready to take a contested mark just outside 50 on the boundary when Pittard is taking the kickouts?

On numerous occasions I saw Broadbent and Krakouer there instead with Nic Nat.

Anyone who doubts that we were flatter than rolled cowpat in the third quarter, having come out with a 17-point lead and the game won between the ears and nowhere else, take a look at Josh Kennedy lining up his shot for goal after the 3/4 time siren.

He's well within kicking distance, so every Port defender gives up and starts walking away. Just before Kennedy kicks, one player (Broadbent?) wakes up and starts making for the square, looking over his shoulder.

Imagine the scenario: Kennedy grubs the kick and it rolls between the big sticks.

Didn't happen, and he missed anyway. But for kryst sake!

Anyone who doubts that we were flatter than rolled cowpat in the third quarter, having come out with a 17-point lead and the game won between the ears and nowhere else, take a look at Josh Kennedy lining up his shot for goal after the 3/4 time siren.

He's well within kicking distance, so every Port defender gives up and starts walking away. Just before Kennedy kicks, one player (Broadbent?) wakes up and starts making for the square, looking over his shoulder.

Imagine the scenario: Kennedy grubs the kick and it rolls between the big sticks.

Didn't happen, and he missed anyway. But for kryst sake!

Said 'incident' did not go unnoticed in Bay 332 LR - the reaction was somewhat expressive. Then again, it was symptomatic of that staggeringly inept third qrt.

Did you see the job he did on Sam Mitchell a fortnight ago!?!? He may have dropped a bit in speed, but it was never really his key attribute that made him so good. I think he'll be rested periodically throughout the year, because we WILL need him come September.
Kenny knows the real answer, hence the announcement tomorrow. Beautifully played by Kane and well done to Kenny in making the call know.

Couldn't have been more obvious that Father Time had caught up

There are taggers and there are taggers. Then there are run with players. We need to find someone who can play in the mid field whose job is to be the defensive mid fielders and allow Gray,Boak, Ebert,Ollie and Wingard the freedom to be attacking mids. Even when the Lions had the fab 4 and fab 5 in 2002 when Headland was a star they still had Shaun Hart being the defensive midfielder which allowed the flash players the freedom to be attacking. Hart missing from Lions on GF was as big a free kick to Port as the AFL making them play the PF on a Saturday night.

Moore is the first pick to do it, more as the defensive mid at stoppages rather than hard tagger role.
I thought that Ah Chee did a decent job of quelling Priddis's influence in the last quarter. Especially when you think back to that game against Carlton where we trialled Moore as a run with player against Murphy.

I thought that Ah Chee did a decent job of quelling Priddis's influence in the last quarter. Especially when you think back to that game against Carlton where we trialled Moore as a run with player against Murphy.

Full marks to Priddis. I scoffed at the thought of tagging him before the game because he's a convicted Sherrin arsonist, so what does he do?

6 kicks, 25 handballs.

Well played, Perm. Well played.

Watched the last quarter again dispassionately (I think).

You can't complain given our inside 50 differentials the past couple of weeks but gee a couple of breaks go our way in that last quarter and we win running away. It was a flat performance but not wrist-slashingly terrible.

When it was on the line, Monfries was a live wire, Ah Chee was very impressive, loved Hombsch's efforts. Had we brought that in the third quarter we win. There's a lesson to be learned. Sometimes it's a fine line, like the goal square that West Coast got away with twice stepping on kicking off in the last. ;)

Oh and Ricciuto's biased commentary gave an indication of what to expect from him this week where he distinguished himself by slagging off a retiring Port Adelaide champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the last quarter again dispassionately (I think).

You can't complain given our inside 50 differentials the past couple of weeks but gee a couple of breaks go our way in that last quarter and we win running away. It was a flat performance but not wrist-slashingly terrible.

When it was on the line, Monfries was a live wire, Ah Chee was very impressive, loved Hombsch's efforts. Had we brought that in the third quarter we win. There's a lesson to be learned. Sometimes it's a fine line, like the goal square that West Coast got away with twice stepping on kicking off in the last. ;)

Oh and Ricciuto's biased commentary gave an indication of what to expect from him this week where he distinguished himself by slagging off a retiring Port Adelaide champion.

I agree, the breaks in the last just didn't go our way, but we shouldn't have allowed us to be in that position and obviously there are some issues, a loss is always good for highlight those. Saying that I would have taken the win and 4 and 2 over 3 and 3 :)

I too watched the replay again, we were lazy and ran forward of the ball when we got possession at times, then got too fancy with our disposal. too often there was the flashy handball over the top or through heavy traffic that ended up in WC hands. As for Young remember Ken saying last year about him that he cant be a 15-20 poss per game player and cut it at AFL unless those poss are damaging which they arent atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R6: Port v West Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back